You can now 'sponsor' the Andertons Youtube channel...apparently. EDIT - Now retracted for Patreon..

What's Hot
Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
edited June 2018 in Guitar

What are your thoughts on this?

According to Mr Anderton, the channel makes a loss once they have paid all of the musicians.

Myself? I don't sponsor or add to any kind of 'Patreon' for Youtube videos. I doubt I will change my stance on this as I don't need any further content/special deals etc.

EDIT - it’s been retracted now.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    edited June 2018 tFB Trader

Well to think Youtube is going to pay them enough to pay all the players, that's a bit optimistic... I thought they made those videos as marketing tools to sell guitars (which works as they make good money)..  In which case shouldn't they be paying Youtube? :P

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 17reaction image Wisdom
  • I had no Idea who Anderton's were until I watched their videos on youtube
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I had no Idea who Anderton's were until I watched their videos on youtube

Is that not the whole point of their videos?  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Because they’re using it for altruistic gear reviews and not to shift product in volume?? Okaaay. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    Where’s the source/announcement for this? I didn’t see any links in the latest YT vid description
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2304
    Where’s the source/announcement for this? I didn’t see any links in the latest YT vid description
    Lee Anderton made a Facebook post about it today, check his page.
    Tim
  • Rabs said:

Exactly, So have they ever analysed the effectiveness of the videos, Im sure it increases their turnover. If i market my business to other people i wouldn't expect my customers to pay for the marketing directly. I would hope the marketing would in turn increase awareness and subsequently increase turnover. 
    However as a business model Mr Anderton should be factoring in these costs, expecting people to pay or subsidise videos in which he is plugging his stock doesn't seem right to me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    timmypix said:
    Lee Anderton made a Facebook post about it today, check his page.
    Thanks - copy paste of the post:

“CONTROVERSIAL ALERT!!! We've set the "Sponsor" button live on our YouTube channel. What does that mean?? Well it means that you can now opt to pay a small monthly fee (I think its $4.99) in return for some extra perks on our channel. "Why are you doing this you money grabbing bas$&%d?" I hear you say! Well, its really down to the fact that the channel costs a small fortune to run & for over 85% of our audience, we are not geographically close enough to you for you to actually buy anything from us. There is no intention to reduce the amount of content going live on the free to watch channel - 100% of the gear reviews/demos will stay free to watch. However, the channel sponsors will get to see more behind the scenes & deleted stuff (more live stuff too I hope), they'll get to watch the videos on the main channel a little earlier than everyone else, and they'll periodically get extra discounts on things like Andertons clothing (maybe other stuff too). I may start to put more tuition on the sponsor channel too. Ultimately I'm just trying to get to a point where we can generate more income directly from the channel (rather than from selling stuff) so that we can invest more in the content we want to make. As I said before, the channel currently makes a big loss every month (eg income from YouTube ads minus the cost of employing the people & the kit needed to make the videos) and I'm just trying to balance this up. Anyway - please feel free to give us some constructive comments. What kind of stuff would you want to see in return for your $4.99 (by the way, I can't control this amount - its the YouTube option at the mo). If you want to sign up, just click the SPONSOR button underneath every video. There is no contract - you can UNSPONSOR us any time you like! Cheers!”
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5595
    edited June 2018
    As @Rabs stated they surely make the videos to sell stuff which makes them a profit.  Claiming the channel makes a loss suggests it's run as a separate business?

Asking for sponsors to prop up a business, or another part of their business, which in turn already benefits another business or business area seems rather cynical thing to do.

Even if that isn't the case are we slowly sleep walking into an Amazon kind of marketing strategy where if we subscribe/sponsor the business we get early/better deals on stuff and free next day delivery?  Almost like a two tier customer base, your loyal subscribed customer who gets priority service and your average punter who doesn't get the same experience because they haven't paid for it.

Kind of clever in one way but not the way I would want to buy stuff and I'd probably do everything I could to avoid buying from them.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2439
    I understand completely why they would do this. I know what sales conversion  they get in store/ online from YouTube and know what they pay the guys who demo. Rob may or may not get considerably more pay due to his exposure, I don’t know but even with him out of the mix, the other guys pay alone would make a loss with the amount of content. Then take into account the cost of equipment to record/ film as well as the running cost of the building they use (it’s external to the store and warehouse) you’re into the whole thing costing a good bit of cash. YouTube royalties for monetisation is nothing. You have to have millions of views on a single video to get anything like a reasonable payout and that’s still not enough to pay the bills. 

The output is great, consistent, well produced and regular. With the amount of people that appreciate what they do, if they got £1 from a few percent of the fans, it suddenly makes it viable. Yes it’s marketing, yes they are there to sell to you but it doesn’t always work out in their favour. Other retailers get the business for their hard work and again, knowing the hours the guys put it, especially Peter, asking for a bit of help in order to help people make an informed and entertained gear choice isn’t a big ask. IMHO of course. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
    Rabs said:

Exactly, So have they ever analysed the effectiveness of the videos, Im sure it increases their turnover. If i market my business to other people i wouldn't expect my customers to pay for the marketing directly. I would hope the marketing would in turn increase awareness and subsequently increase turnover. 
    However as a business model Mr Anderton should be factoring in these costs, expecting people to pay or subsidise videos in which he is plugging his stock doesn't seem right to me. 
    You don’t have to pay so there’s no expectation at all.

Some people might choose to pay because they only watch as a form of entertainment, and have no desire to buy.

I don’t really watch the content these days but I do occasionally buy from them. So I wouldn’t pay to subscribe.

In general I’d prefer to pay for YouTube Red when that is released in the UK. Watching vids offline and zero adverts would be great, some of the YT videos I want to watch are 8 hours long and being able to have them saved to watch elsewhere would be handy

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Hmmm.. there's no option for sponsored silence...?

I've no bother either way, but if the sponsorship ends up with the channel giving more educational content, that's fine.  If it's just asking people to pay to watch glorified adverts, that's very ropey, although people have a choice whether to pony up the spondoolicks.
    edited June 2018 tFB Trader
    Rabs said:

Is that not the whole point of their videos? 

Yes I agree.. There was an interview with Lee a short while back where he talks specifically about this and said he makes 40 million online and 8 million in store (hes talking in dollars though) that seems enough to pay for his own videos to be made? (granted that's turnover and I don't know how much profit is in that but still 40 million I think is pretty good in most peoples books).

https://www.namm.org/nammu/industry/breakfast-champions-2018-namm-show-lee-anderton

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Well, this is the salient point for me:

"& for over 85% of our audience, we are not geographically close enough to you for you to actually buy anything from us"

Lots of US & ROW viewers benefitting from their material but no point in buying from Andertons. Makes complete sense when you see this.

I'd say it's not meant for UK viewers tbh..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader

"& for over 85% of our audience, we are not geographically close enough to you for you to actually buy anything from us"

Lots of US & ROW viewers benefitting from their material but no point in buying from Andertons. Makes complete sense when you see this.

That's a very good point...
  • I understand his reasoning and If the content it less commercial maybe more focused on something like tuition, lookin at builders or something topical and factual then cool but I fear this will just open the floodgates for people like Norm and others who will just stand charging for content because it will become the 'Norm'  :) (see what I did there)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    I understand his reasoning and If the content it less commercial maybe more focused on something like tuition, lookin at builders or something topical and factual then cool but I fear this will just open the floodgates for people like Norm and others who will just stand charging for content because it will become the 'Norm'  :) (see what I did there)
    I really do think the internet has given us a much more "I don't want to pay for that stuff" attitude when it comes to material produced and distributed. 

If Andertons get a really good and well known player on a video and conduct a lengthy interview (such as the captain meets series) then why is that any different to a magazine interview which you'd pay for? Similar with reviews.. magazine reviews were often sponsored by the manufacturers anyway - and ultimately they were through their advertising. 

Let's face it - we have grown too accustomed to stuff being free on the internet.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • NickNick Frets: 98
    edited June 2018
    If Lee is savvy enough to convince suppliers to pay in order to feature their product on his YT channel, then I'm sure he'll have no problem in monetizing the legion of Andertons fans Stateside and beyond.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887

This.

In addition, a good businessman will always be looking for new income streams and even if he only gets 500 ‘sponsors’ that’s paid a member of his staff’s wages for a year. Smart move...
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    I understand his reasoning and If the content it less commercial maybe more focused on something like tuition, lookin at builders or something topical and factual then cool but I fear this will just open the floodgates for people like Norm and others who will just stand charging for content because it will become the 'Norm'  :) (see what I did there)
    I really do think the internet has given us a much more "I don't want to pay for that stuff" attitude when it comes to material produced and distributed. 

If Andertons get a really good and well known player on a video and conduct a lengthy interview (such as the captain meets series) then why is that any different to a magazine interview which you'd pay for? Similar with reviews.. magazine reviews were often sponsored by the manufacturers anyway - and ultimately they were through their advertising. 

Let's face it - we have grown too accustomed to stuff being free on the internet.
    Well, they don’t have to do it. Someone else will. If they don’t, no loss to me.