You can now 'sponsor' the Andertons Youtube channel...apparently. EDIT - Now retracted for Patreon..

What's Hot

Comments

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    I’ve also just seen a recent ‘Instagram’ musician who is, and I’ll be polite, average but getting better, be sponsored by a big company. 

No real band, no years of practice and writing songs, no slogging it at gigs etc. 

But, the lady has struck gold. She will no doubt improve, but, and I hate to say it, the ‘like’ brigade is mainly men. The less I say the better, but I think you can see what I mean. Presentation over pure talent. A disappointing way music has gone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5594
    If the YT content is costing more to produce than it’s realising in sales then you have to ask if it’s the best use of his time and resources. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    I understand his reasoning and If the content it less commercial maybe more focused on something like tuition, lookin at builders or something topical and factual then cool but I fear this will just open the floodgates for people like Norm and others who will just stand charging for content because it will become the 'Norm'  :) (see what I did there)
    I really do think the internet has given us a much more "I don't want to pay for that stuff" attitude when it comes to material produced and distributed. 

If Andertons get a really good and well known player on a video and conduct a lengthy interview (such as the captain meets series) then why is that any different to a magazine interview which you'd pay for? Similar with reviews.. magazine reviews were often sponsored by the manufacturers anyway - and ultimately they were through their advertising. 

Let's face it - we have grown too accustomed to stuff being free on the internet.
    Well, they don’t have to do it. Someone else will. If they don’t, no loss to me. 
    Nothing is free.

You're paying for it somewhere, somehow...
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9498
    Advertising costs money. Who knew?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    How many of you used to hand over a few quid each month to a magazine for glorified adverts?

thats all this is.... just as biased as those magazines
    It's optional. Pay if you want. Nobody is forcing you. You don't get less by not paying..

"Here's some free stuff for you to watch or not watch. By the way, if you like it, you can even pay some money so we can keep making some of this stuff."

Criminal.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    edited June 2018
    Haych said:
    If the YT content is costing more to produce than it’s realising in sales then you have to ask if it’s the best use of his time and resources. 
    He’s not saying that. It costs more to produce than the direct income it achieves that’s all he’s saying.

However indirectly the videos introduce the brand to thousands of potential customers who may go on to buy online or in store and maybe become a loyal customer. As an advert and promotion tool it works - but comes at a cost like all advertising.

However if you are living in Japan or America etc you probably watch the vids but won’t buy anything and those are the viewers he’s targeting now and looking at exploiting an opportunity to cover some costs.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    It's optional. Pay if you want. Nobody is forcing you. You don't get less by not paying..

"Here's some free stuff for you to watch or not watch. By the way, if you like it, you can even pay some money so we can keep making some of this stuff."

Criminal.
    My thoughts too

I actually feel guilty I don't support the patreon of some channels, because I get so much from them.

I will soon, when finances are a bit better
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    joeyowen said:

Criminal.
    My thoughts too

I actually feel guilty I don't support the patreon of some channels, because I get so much from them.

We forget that capitalism is a dirty word in the UK these days - people asking for money for the things that they create is seen as some sort of disgusting exploitation.

I find it ironic on a forum of musicians that this is even questioned. Imagine the uproar if someone came on and said that they thought all music should be free to the consumer and nobody should ever have to pay musicians for what they do.

Sigh.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I've bought a few things from them and I've only heard of them from YouTube. One product they were the exclusive dealers but the other 2 are sales they've made from their channel.

Saying that, I've bought from other places that don't have YouTube channels so I might well have found them through Google anyway.

The channel is 100 percent to promote sales though, there are no objective reviews what so ever. There's a video of some amp modeler that they were trying to shift and it gets compared to the Amplifire. The Amplifire could have been set better by a monkey so it seems to me that it was deliberately meant to sound worse than the focused item. Yet compare that to the video where they are promoting the Amplifire itself and it's apparently indistinguishable from the tube amps it simulates.

Basically treat the videos as infomercials, not sincere reviews.
    thegummy said:
    I've bought a few things from them and I've only heard of them from YouTube. One product they were the exclusive dealers but the other 2 are sales they've made from their channel.

Saying that, I've bought from other places that don't have YouTube channels so I might well have found them through Google anyway.

The channel is 100 percent to promote sales though, there are no objective reviews what so ever. There's a video of some amp modeler that they were trying to shift and it gets compared to the Amplifire. The Amplifire could have been set better by a monkey so it seems to me that it was deliberately meant to sound worse than the focused item. Yet compare that to the video where they are promoting the Amplifire itself and it's apparently indistinguishable from the tube amps it simulates.

What are they selling when they interview a big name player?
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    edited June 2018
    I don’t really watch the Andertons channel but am a patron for that pedal show.  I get a lot of enjoyment out of it and for some of the reasons mentioned in posts above don’t mind spending the cash I used to spend on guitar magazines to help them keep making content I like.

If I watched much of the Andertons channel I would probably pay them a few quid too they do seem to produce a lot of content.  
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    thegummy said:

What are they selling when they interview a big name player?
    The brand of Andertons being a big reputable store. They are. Not denying that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    I’ve also just seen a recent ‘Instagram’ musician who is, and I’ll be polite, average but getting better, be sponsored by a big company. 

No real band, no years of practice and writing songs, no slogging it at gigs etc. 

But, the lady has struck gold. She will no doubt improve, but, and I hate to say it, the ‘like’ brigade is mainly men. The less I say the better, but I think you can see what I mean. Presentation over pure talent. A disappointing way music has gone.
    It's always been that way. Over the decades I can think of many a pop act that has been style/sex appeal with little talent.

And as for mediocre musicians Glenn Fricker sums it up brilliantly here 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3964
    Rabs said:

Yes I agree.. There was an interview with Lee a short while back where he talks specifically about this and said he makes 40 million online and 8 million in store

He could just about buy a UK built Chapman for that...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26450
    joeyowen said:

Criminal.
    My thoughts too

We forget that capitalism is a dirty word in the UK these days - people asking for money for the things that they create is seen as some sort of disgusting exploitation.

I find it ironic on a forum of musicians that this is even questioned. Imagine the uproar if someone came on and said that they thought all music should be free to the consumer and nobody should ever have to pay musicians for what they do.

Sigh.
    Precisely.

Y'know the whining that "We won't pay you, but you'll get the exposure and you'll be able to sell some CDs and t-shirts!" gig offers get on here?

That's what you lot are espousing here. As far as I can see, it's just plain sourness and a textbook expression of the British mentality which loves an underdog until they get a sniff of success.

Let's not forget that they're offering extras in return for the money. This isn't aimed at middle-aged blokes grouchy at the world because they never made it, it's for fans of the channel and the people on it.

Basically, it's for almost none of the people on this forum.
    <space for hire>
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
    In other news, New Look have the gall to charge for ladies knickers. 

Well you wouldnt catch me paying for them. Knickers not meant for me? No thanks. Thought you’d all like to know though. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26450
    In other news, New Look have the gall to charge for ladies knickers. 

Well you wouldnt catch me paying for them. Knickers not meant for me? No thanks. Thought you’d all like to know though. 
    Besides, they're pretty successful and have enough money...they should stop being cheeky and give them away for free.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    gringopig said:
    LOL asking us to pay for what are essentially adverts! No chance .
    I hope you don’t have a sky subscription.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom