You can now 'sponsor' the Andertons Youtube channel...apparently. EDIT - Now retracted for Patreon..

What's Hot

Comments

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    joeyowen said:
    It's optional. Pay if you want. Nobody is forcing you. You don't get less by not paying..

"Here's some free stuff for you to watch or not watch. By the way, if you like it, you can even pay some money so we can keep making some of this stuff."

Criminal.
    My thoughts too

I actually feel guilty I don't support the patreon of some channels, because I get so much from them.

I will soon, when finances are a bit better
    We forget that capitalism is a dirty word in the UK these days - people asking for money for the things that they create is seen as some sort of disgusting exploitation.

I find it ironic on a forum of musicians that this is even questioned. Imagine the uproar if someone came on and said that they thought all music should be free to the consumer and nobody should ever have to pay musicians for what they do.

Sigh.
    Precisely.

Y'know the whining that "We won't pay you, but you'll get the exposure and you'll be able to sell some CDs and t-shirts!" gig offers get on here?

That's what you lot are espousing here. As far as I can see, it's just plain sourness and a textbook expression of the British mentality which loves an underdog until they get a sniff of success.

Let's not forget that they're offering extras in return for the money. This isn't aimed at middle-aged blokes grouchy at the world because they never made it, it's for fans of the channel and the people on it.

Basically, it's for almost none of the people on this forum.
    I don’t think anyone is sour. They are just providing an opinion. They must be a very successful business, and fair play to them. 

Sometimes it’s only fair to see both sides of the coin and I’m afraid some people class that as negativity. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    Adam_MD said:
    Out of curiosity how many of you chaps are patrons of any of the YouTube channels you watch and if so which ones?  
    Kind of.

I’m a URM academy member - their Nail The Mix Live sessions are done via YouTube (on private links). But there’s much more to it than that and it’s not sold as a YouTube company, it’s a company who happen to deliver some primary content behind a paywall on YT.

But the content is very in depth - they’re multi hour live events many are 6 hours + IIRC. I don’t think it’d be viable at all on the open Youtube market.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited June 2018
    YouTube is going to hit the same issues the music industry did, if it didn’t already.

i remember Pre-streaming that people would Pirate successful band’s albums on the basis they were already rich because they’d sold out.

I’m not seeing how a review YouTube channel format is a viable business without having a huge amount of cash to keep buying all the latest stuff. Of course the big names have ties to the big companies, it’s the only realistic way to be trying out all the gear.

The only person I can think of who grew their audience pretty independently at first was Ola England who started off demoing his own amps and then borrowing amps from others. He now does all kinds of stuff. I like his channel, it’s the only guitar one I’ll watch these days.
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    For just £5 a month you can provide bottled water for the Andertons team so they can quench the first brought on by talking endless waffle.

Unfortunately, if That Pedal Show start running a similar campaign it'll cost about £50 a month to provide them with enough water, they might need some lozenges too.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12880
    I’ve also just seen a recent ‘Instagram’ musician who is, and I’ll be polite, average but getting better, be sponsored by a big company. 

No real band, no years of practice and writing songs, no slogging it at gigs etc. 

But, the lady has struck gold. She will no doubt improve, but, and I hate to say it, the ‘like’ brigade is mainly men. The less I say the better, but I think you can see what I mean. Presentation over pure talent. A disappointing way music has gone.
    -I can only assume you are unfamiliar with pretty much the entire history of recorded music. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Jack_ said:
    For just £5 a month you can provide bottled water for the Andertons team so they can quench the first brought on by talking endless waffle.

Unfortunately, if That Pedal Show start running a similar campaign it'll cost about £50 a month to provide them with enough water, they might need some lozenges too.
    You need to add on for ointment. They must get pressure sores from sitting down videoing all the time.

I think that patronising Anderton's channel is like paying to watch QVC.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    mbe said:
    Jack_ said:

You need to add on for ointment. They must get pressure sores from sitting down videoing all the time.

I think that patronising Anderton's channel is like paying to watch QVC.
    Ironically if you have a Sky or Virgin subscription, then actually you are paying for QVC
    I’ve also just seen a recent ‘Instagram’ musician who is, and I’ll be polite, average but getting better, be sponsored by a big company. 

No real band, no years of practice and writing songs, no slogging it at gigs etc. 

But, the lady has struck gold. She will no doubt improve, but, and I hate to say it, the ‘like’ brigade is mainly men. The less I say the better, but I think you can see what I mean. Presentation over pure talent. A disappointing way music has gone.
    -I can only assume you are unfamiliar with pretty much the entire history of recorded music. 
    Not at all patronising. Cheers!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    YouTube is going to hit the same issues the music industry did, if it didn’t already.

i remember Pre-streaming that people would Pirate successful band’s albums on the basis they were already rich because they’d sold out.

I’m not seeing how a review YouTube channel format is a viable business without having a huge amount of cash to keep buying all the latest stuff. Of course the big names have ties to the big companies, it’s the only realistic way to be trying out all the gear.

The only person I can think of who grew their audience pretty independently at first was Ola England who started off demoing his own amps and then borrowing amps from others. He now does all kinds of stuff. I like his channel, it’s the only guitar one I’ll watch these days.
    I agree. It’ll hit a point....
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1756
    Not sure I will subscribe as often the content is boring or intriguing and not the biggest fan of the whole Blokey mate Chappers and Captain although I appreciate the work Danish Pete does and others. 

As has been said production costs are hard to recover and the margins from being a competitive online seller are not exactly massive.  Yes they are selling stuff but a lot of the stuff is also Geek interest like squire v custom shop type of thing.. 

That said and I don't work in the Trade but I heard Andertons have for a while now been charging distributors/ manufacturers to review products this could be totally untrue. 

That said I would not expect to get that sort of product coverage and audience access for nothing as a distributor. 

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Well, this is the salient point for me:

"& for over 85% of our audience, we are not geographically close enough to you for you to actually buy anything from us"

Lots of US & ROW viewers benefitting from their material but no point in buying from Andertons. Makes complete sense when you see this.

I'd say it's not meant for UK viewers tbh..
    Andertons USA anyone?
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26751
    @sixstringsupplies you can’t post all that description without a link! 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    Apropos of nothing, Netflix is £7.99 per month. 

Youtube sponsorship of a single channel is £4.99. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    soma1975 said:
    Apropos of nothing, Netflix is £7.99 per month. 

Youtube sponsorship of a single channel is £4.99. 
    Yeah, but who would you rather support? A corporate that doesn't really care about you, just your money or a streaming service that has all your favourite shows?
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1373
    It's an interesting discussion. Here's my half p worth.

The yt model has no precedent that I am aware of. It's kind of grown organically to a point where I have picked up on comments about it being satchurated and can't be made to pay anymore. That's as maybe but I think (stand to be corrected) that Andertons were at the forefront of the yt wave (well for music shops anyway) with Chappers and it has evolved over time. As such there is no business model for it and they are simply compartmentalising revenue streams. The impact of the Internet continues to have a catastrophic effect on the high st- mothercare, house of Fraser etc etc. Don't forget we are a niche. The vloggers earning big bucks off the advertising have an all together different level of views.

A more traditional approach might be to write it off purely as part of an advertising budget.

Another point to consider is the infrastructure required. As mentioned above and iPhone and a £5 stand is one end of the scale. Separate premises, multi camera set ups, video editing and staff employed to focus on video content and production is the other. One might position that Andertons have got 'bloated' but on the other hand if you look back to some of their earlier content and look how it has evolved, the production value has got really good now. Have they got a bit carried away.....or have they determined that their turnover has grown as a result of the video marketing and therefore invested in that infrastructure.

Anyway there are a million different ways to argue it, fair play if he makes it work, and I can't be arsed to get upset. Sponsor and get offers and more content. Don't sponsor and continue to enjoy his content. Or turn it off. It's a free world and the sun will probably come up in the morning.
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    edited June 2018
    The reason it doesn't pay anymore is that youtube arbitrarily changed the algorithms and eligibility for monetisation.

The flipside is that 99% of youtube channels don't deserve monetisation. 

Of the youtube superstars I have done some work with (maybe 4 or 5), their money comes from endorsements or the opportunities afforded to them outside youtube. I remember seeing a breakdown from a full time make up tutorial youtuber who had 200,000 subs who was working 6 days a week to earn under £20,000 a year. 

But once L'oreal gets involved she can be an overnight millionaire.

EDIT: Personally I feel Andertons' content has hit a ceiling and having Pete, Ariel, Rabea, Rob etc as satellite youtube channels using their gear and 'reviewing' the exact same things Andertons sell all starts to feel irritating and like it is smothering the voice of other decent content producers. 

As an aside this week's simultaneous same day release of 100 youtube reviews of that Walrus Emissary tells you everything you need to know about who is objective and independent and who is playing the game. Ditto everyone having multiple Thomann videos this month. 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2018
    soma1975 said:

EDIT: Personally I feel Andertons' content has hit a ceiling and having Pete, Ariel, Rabea, Rob etc as satellite youtube channels using their gear and 'reviewing' the exact same things Andertons sell all starts to feel irritating and like it is smothering the voice of other decent content producers. 

As an aside this week's simultaneous same day release of 100 youtube reviews of that Walrus Emissary tells you everything you need to know about who objective and independent and who is playing the game. Ditto everyone having multiple Thomann videos this month. 

I definitely agree with the Walrus pedal situation. The frontpage of my youtube page was plastered with video reviews of this pedal. I didn't watch one of them.

It is definitely becoming oversaturated.

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670

i remember Pre-streaming that people would Pirate successful band’s albums on the basis that they wanted to, didn't care about the moral aspect, could get away with it and just about trump up a half-hearted justification when challenged

FTFY

I'm not sure why the Andertons move has provoked any comment at all, they have opened a new revenue stream nobody is in any way obliged to pay for.  If it gets a few subscribers amongst big fans of the channel then fair play, if not it was a bad idea, who cares?

A few years ago they would have sold CDs of their performances etc, but there isn't much money in that these days,
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...

i remember Pre-streaming that people would Pirate successful band’s albums on the basis that they wanted to, didn't care about the moral aspect, could get away with it and just about trump up a half-hearted justification when challenged

FTFY

I'm not sure why the Andertons move has provoked any comment at all, they have opened a new revenue stream nobody is in any way obliged to pay for.  If it gets a few subscribers amongst big fans of the channel then fair play, if not it was a bad idea, who cares?

A few years ago they would have sold CDs of their performances etc, but there isn't much money in that these days,

I think I just wanted to know what our thoughts were, as musicians, who watch the channel.

• He stressed that his video marketing has been successful because it’s focused on building relationships through trust and honesty, even if that means critiquing a particular product in his inventory.

Just three words. Mesa cab clone...