You can now 'sponsor' the Andertons Youtube channel...apparently. EDIT - Now retracted for Patreon..

What's Hot

Comments

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    edited June 2018
    Cirrus said:
    I’ve also just seen a recent ‘Instagram’ musician who is, and I’ll be polite, average but getting better, be sponsored by a big company. 

No real band, no years of practice and writing songs, no slogging it at gigs etc. 

But, the lady has struck gold. She will no doubt improve, but, and I hate to say it, the ‘like’ brigade is mainly men. The less I say the better, but I think you can see what I mean. Presentation over pure talent. A disappointing way music has gone.
    In a shocking twist, someone on the Fretboard uses a thread to complain about a woman who's more successful than he is in a post barely related to the topic at hand.  3

Nice approach. No need to snipe dude. It was purely a post relating to the modern ways of social media, which in turn is not that far from Youtube. In addition, Instagram 'likes' have no relation to real-life success. Your or I could be highly successful people in our own careers...who knows.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    edited June 2018
    soma1975 said:
    vale said:
    soma1975 said:
    Youtube pretty much only works because it is 'free to air'. I believe people have a concern about this being the thin end of the wedge and if there is tiered youtube service for those with money and those without then that raises some issues.

I agree with the poster who said Andertons would be far better off scaling back instead of trying to saturate and corner the market and ask for sponsorship, but that's just my opinion. 

i think the problem is that they are in a nowhere land of trying to define (on the hoof) who they are & what they are trying to do, and to & for whom, and all the while they are flailing around the clock is ticking & the costs are piling up (a microcosm for this whole country atm, but another thread...).

they used to be a demo channel for a shop. then they tried to be a comedy skit channel (top gear with guitars), now there's a forum & merch.

my fav youtube channels are either the 'one person in a bedroom talking to camera' kind. they are really the heart & soul & core of what i think makes that medium great. so don't need acces to big resources.
    & then there's educational stuff to do with my science & space interests (conferences & explainers of theories & discoveries). either institutions publishing material or free access tv companies (PBS etc) with little youtube spin offs. so already have acces to big resources.

the idea of a 'kind of but not' tv company run by 'kind of but not' employees tacked onto a big shop that 'kind of is & yet isn't' benefitting from the whole venture... sounds 'kind of' half-baked.
    Absolutely, and while everyone is talking up Andertons' production values that is only in relation to the guy in his bedroom using his iphone. They are not a TV company and aside from the fact it is a subject we are all interested in, it's not made even to QVC standards and so if they were serious they'd need to invest in people to really help shape the content and have a proper director and camera team. 

This is an important point - I've seen the job adverts they post for the content producers. They pay £18k a year... which is pretty derisory for that skillset considering how much content they make. You can imagine the turnover is pretty high - they probably get recent graduates who will take literally anything, but once you've made a few of their films, if you get reasonably good at what you're doing you can double your income and work half as much by going freelance. The difference on your showreel between having 1 Andertons film credit and 1,000 is meaningless too since they're all basically the same schtick.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited June 2018
    Let's say Andertons have increased their turnover from £8m to £40m due to the exposure from their YouTube channel, then they have IMO fully justified it's existance as an advertising expense, with the associated tax benefits. The subject of their videos is mostly gear related and they have free access to all of these items, so the main expenses are the new property, recording equipment and talent. The question is has there been any overreach regarding any of these items? Every business has to do marketing/advertising. All internet based companies need to provide images, videos, sound clips, etc., as a means of engaging the customer. Thomann in particular make an effort to provide good product photography and sound samples, with a decent customer's product review system, all provided as a business expense.

Just to lay my cards on the table, I admire and respect those who write, perform, record and produce original music of a high standard. I tend to avoid people who are trying sell something, and if I visit a guitar shop I consider the guitar tech to be the only person worth talking too! Regarding sales advice, you would be better served by any of the numerous musician related forums. So therefore it probably comes as no surprise that I am not a big fan of these salesmen and/or product placement internet personalities. Give me Peter Hook showing how he plays a certain bass line, or Justin Guitar teaching me something useful anyday of the week, even on Tuesdays!
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    Freebird said:
    Let's say Andertons have increased their turnover from £8m to £40m due to the exposure from their YouTube channel, then they have IMO fully justified it's existance as an advertising expense, with the associated tax benefits. The subject of their videos is mostly gear related and they have free access to all of these items, so the main expenses are property, recording equipment and talent. The question is has there been any overreach regarding any of these? Every business has to do marketing/advertising. All internet based companies need to provide images, videos, sound clips, etc., as a means of engaging the customer. Thomann in particular make an effort to provide good product photography and sound samples, with a decent customer's product review system, all provided as a business expense.

Just to lay my cards on the table, I respect and admire those who write, perform, record and produce quality original music. I tend to avoid people who are trying sell something, and if I visit a guitar shop I consider the guitar tech to be the only person worth talking too! Regarding sales advice, you would be better served by any of the numerous musician related forums. So therefore it probably comes as no surprise that I am not a big fan of these salesmen and/or product placement internet personalities. Give me Peter Hook showing how he plays a certain bass line, or Justin Guitar teaching me sometning useful anyday, even on Tuesdays!
    Aye! My view is the same. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11669
    Haych said:

Yes by all means discuss away. On the whole I find theFB a decent place and it’s frequenters a good bunch, so more than happy to discuss, even if I am a tool sometimes.

And yes, take advantage of whatever tax breaks are available if that’s what you want to do. Is it always ethical? I don’t know enough to answer that question, maybe Gary Barlow or Russell Brand could help me out?

If you're asking what my issue is I guess it would be hard to define. If I had to put it into words I’d say it’s a feeling rather than a thought that doesn’t sit right with my own values, nothing more, nothing less. But yeah, I guess maybe it is the way it's been done rather than the decision to do it that sits wrong.

I wouldn't define myself as a true capitalist and some business decisions I personally find don't sit right with my own set of values.  I’m not saying that’s how I feel in this case, I’m also not saying I don’t feel that way - or is that bassackwards, I'm sure you know what I mean though.

And when all is said and done, I might just change my opinion.  There's a lot of good reason in the to and fro of this thread and given a day or two to mull things over I might think "well actually you know what, it's ok, not really such a big deal after all".

Well that all seems fair enough! :)
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • Who the bloody hell would have the cheek to ask for money to make things on the internet for as little as $1 a month?

www.patreon.com/guitarnerds
    Apparently they’ve retracted the sponsorship as it hasn’t been taken well by their customers. I think they are looking into Patreon.

Fair play! If they have lessons etc via Patreon I have zero issue with that. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929

If Lee Anderton wants to reduce the costs of his YouTube presence he should bin off the bass videos, no-one wants to hear someone plinking and plunking bass solos for 10 minutes. There are only 2 basses worth having and that's the Fender Precision and Rickenbacker 4003 end of, period. We don't need a YouTube channel for that. =)

Same with the drums vids, we all know that all drum kit's are the same.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578

If Lee Anderton wants to reduce the costs of his YouTube presence he should bin off the bass videos, no-one wants to hear someone plinking and plunking bass solos for 10 minutes. There are only 2 basses worth having and that's the Fender Precision and Rickenbacker 4003 end of, period. We don't need a YouTube channel for that. =)

Finally I get to do a @richardhomer Only this time it’s not ironic:

Drivel.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    I thought you'd like it.

I thought you'd like it.
    :D
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953

Boooooo.

I love bass but I don’t like two bassists noodling. Not my thing even though bass is my number one instrument
    I love bass but I don’t like two bassists noodling. Not my thing even though bass is my number one instrument
    I’m a firm believer in bass being better demo’d in context rather than on it’s own.

Yes, it can be a solo instrument, but for the majority of playing it isn’t. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11410
    I’m a firm believer in bass being better demo’d in context rather than on it’s own.

Yes, it can be a solo instrument, but for the majority of playing it isn’t. 

Agree with both of these.  I'm primarily a guitarist but do play bass sometimes.  If I'm after a bass demo, I want to hear how it sounds playing 8th notes, not someone slapping and noodling.  The Andertons bass demos are worse than most.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Finally I get to do a @richardhomer Only this time it’s not ironic:

Drivel.
    Terry Morgan/Sticker
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    edited June 2018

I'm not a 'blues' player as such, but one of the guys I like, who genuinely seems to be very knowledgable, is 'intheblues'.

He has built a fanbase, and I've never donated money, but it seems more like this is his career along with his band, and he never seems to go on about money...and just comes across very genuine.

I liked that guy from the video you linked so watched another. I do still like him but the fact he's been loaned a guitar from a shop to review means he's not going to say anything too bad about it or the company would stop giving him stuff (what company would if it was only going to reduce sales?) so it's the same problem as any reviewer online or magazine.

I think the only chance of a review channel being honest is if it was some rich guy buying the gear himself and doing it purely for his own enjoyment.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    I don't think I blame Andertons for doing this. If someone said to a business "you know that thing you've been doing? Would you like it to not cost as much anymore?" How many of them are going to say no thanks? They'd at least trial it.

People can send their money to whoever they want, but why anyone would send it to them is a mystery to me.

The videos are basically glorified adverts, and now you can donate your money so that you can continue watching adverts? Erm... Ok I suppose. If that's how you want to spend your money then go for it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Lee's a marketing genius .. one piece of click bait (sponsor my YouTube posts) and people can't stop talking about Andertons.

Think I'll pop over to the website and buy something to help Lee out .. things much be tough.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    You don't have to pay.. I don't see the issue.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.