The Kemper thread

What's Hot
In the spirit of the other big players in the digital hardware domain, thought it good to start a thread for Kemper owners.

We have something new to play with today, finally, Spring reverb, and it sounds fantastic! More new reverbs on the way, apparently, great stuff!

Figured that this would be better suited in FX considering major updates only really affect FX and features, not amps.

Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3466
    edited June 2018

5.6.2.13481 Spring Reverb Preview

This is a new public beta including our new Spring Reverb, which is one element of a bigger revision of the reverb effects! We are preparing a whole bunch of new reverb effects and the flexibilization of the REV Module. At the end of this process reverb effects will be available in all Modules and all effect types will be available for selection in the REV Module.

And here some explanations:

Spring Reverb Preview 

The Spring Reverb is inspired by the most sought-after spring reverb for guitarists: the Fender (TM) Reverb Tank from 1963. There are two prominent characteristics that define this legendary reverb sound: one is the lack of low frequencies - this was due to a steep lowcut filter used in the original design to avoid acoustic feedback between the speaker and the reverb tank, that were both housed in the same combo amplifier. The other is the haunting sound quality that resembles water dripping in a cave. We have gone to great lengths to faithfully recreate this effect, for which we have provided a dedicated intensity parameter called “Dripstone”.

Vintage combo amps do not feature a preamp distortion, meaning that the power amp needs to be clipped to achieve a gritty sound. Due to the placement of the reverb tank before the power amp, its output will be distorted along with the dry guitar. To authentically recreate this effect in the Profiler, you should place the Spring Reverb before the Amplifier. However, if you place the Spring Reverb after the Amplifier, you can then enjoy it in stereo.

☞ Please find the effect type "Spring Reverb" at the end of the list of effect types - turn the TYPE knob in any of the Modules between A and DLY. Spring Reverb is not available in the REV Module yet!

☞ We suggest you start with the new preset “REV Spring Fan” - turn the BROWSE knob to select it, and then play with the parameters.

Here is a description of the new parameters introduced with Spring Reverb:

Decay Time 

Determines how fast the reverb decays. In a way, the Decay Time sets the size of the room, as small rooms decay more quickly, and large rooms more slowly.
    Decay Time is analogous to the Feedback parameter of the delay effects. It is measured in seconds (s) and reflects the time the reverb will take to decay by 60dB - well below the hearing threshold.

Dripstone 

Controls the intensity of the “Dripstone” sound.

Spring Size 

Varies the size of the springs and, consequently, the density of the “Dripstone” sound.

High Damp

Controls the high frequency degradation over time. The further you turn to the left, the more high frequency content is lost as the reverb decays.

Low Damp

Controls the low frequency degradation over time. The further you turn to the right, the more low frequency content is lost as the reverb decays

Spectral Balance 

The Spring Reverb is originally processed by a strong lowcut filter. By moving Spectral Balance away from the (default) middle setting you can balance the sound of the wet reverb signal more towards low or high frequencies.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10102
    Finally. And with the confirmation of an editor on the horizon it's looking good for Kemper owners!
  • Wait, there was no spring reverb until now?!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9443
    I welcome this thread, as Ive second time around with my Kemper... and to be honest, it has been an absolute revelation.

I rehearsed with just the Kemper on Thursday night, into a small Zilla Dinky 1x12 Neo Creamback, and the result was astonishing. I couldnt get the Master Volume to work, but then realised today that I hadnt set it up right !

Anyway, at one point I had a Helix and the Kemper together with a DXR10 for a/b. Amp wise, there was no comparison as the Kemper absolutely destroyed the Helix. Literally, the difference was incredible. Remember, Im talking amp models here, as I like/nearly love the Helix...

Anyway, a full review and thoughts to follow.

PS - the Kemper Remote is superb.

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4066
    What the hell is “Dripstone”?!
  • What the hell is “Dripstone”?!
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+is+a+dripstone?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I welcome this thread, as Ive second time around with my Kemper... and to be honest, it has been an absolute revelation.

I rehearsed with just the Kemper on Thursday night, into a small Zilla Dinky 1x12 Neo Creamback, and the result was astonishing. I couldnt get the Master Volume to work, but then realised today that I hadnt set it up right !

Anyway, at one point I had a Helix and the Kemper together with a DXR10 for a/b. Amp wise, there was no comparison as the Kemper absolutely destroyed the Helix. Literally, the difference was incredible. Remember, Im talking amp models here, as I like/nearly love the Helix...

Anyway, a full review and thoughts to follow.

PS - the Kemper Remote is superb.

Pleased to hear all went well in rehearsal, mate, great news!

Yep, the remote is really well designed and ticks a lot of boxes for me too, it's a really nice package. This new update sounds great too, am really looking forward to the rest of it.

Looking forward to a full review soon, Warren, I'll try and put something together too, as it's long over due for me :-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4066
    What the hell is “Dripstone”?!
    Very droll, however “an architectural feature for handling rain water” doesn’t really clear up anything. 

Seriously though, what is it meant to refer to? I’ve never heard it used when describing effects or instruments before.
  • What the hell is “Dripstone”?!
    Very droll, however “an architectural feature for handling rain water” doesn’t really clear up anything. 

Seriously though, what is it meant to refer to? I’ve never heard it used when describing effects or instruments before.
    I think it's a way of trying to describe the 'drip' like nature of a spring reverb. Perhaps not the best way to describe it, but could it just be that as a German company, that was the word that made most sense...I'm not sure...clutching at straws here.

It will be rehearsal 2 for the Kemper tonight for me... I may even a/b it alongside the Redplate
  • It will be rehearsal 2 for the Kemper tonight for me... I may even a/b it alongside the Redplate
    Awesome stuff! Good luck. What went wrong with the Master Vol last time, do you think? What are your thoughts on the Zilla cab, worth looking at?

It will be rehearsal 2 for the Kemper tonight for me... I may even a/b it alongside the Redplate
    Awesome stuff! Good luck. What went wrong with the Master Vol last time, do you think? What are your thoughts on the Zilla cab, worth looking at?
    One of the valves had gone down on the Redplate, but all working fine now thankfully.

Ive had a few Zillas made for me; awesome build and service, I must say. Ive now gone one of the small Dinky 1x12, which is super light and sounds awesome.

Ive been wondering whether a L6 Powercab might be a good investment though ? Im still unsure (or uneducated) about the true sonic benefits of a FRFR vs real cab. Most say a ‘real’ cab limits the Kemper’s full range...

I dunno !
  • It will be rehearsal 2 for the Kemper tonight for me... I may even a/b it alongside the Redplate
    One of the valves had gone down on the Redplate, but all working fine now thankfully.

Ive had a few Zillas made for me; awesome build and service, I must say. Ive now gone one of the small Dinky 1x12, which is super light and sounds awesome.

Ive been wondering whether a L6 Powercab might be a good investment though ? Im still unsure (or uneducated) about the true sonic benefits of a FRFR vs real cab. Most say a ‘real’ cab limits the Kemper’s full range...

I dunno !
    Luckily you've got best of both worlds and the ability to run FRFR and/or a Cab with your powered head.

Personally, I bought the powered head in order to be more flexible when all that was at a venue was a guitar cab and I didn't have the room to carry my DXR10(s) with me. I've not tried mine with a cab yet, but am intigued to do so and am looking forward to trying it. The DXR's sound great though.

The Power Cab is a bit of a different beast, in that it doesn't take into consideration the Mic emulation, to my knowledge. So it'll be a bit different to your regular FRFR where you've been used to accounting for the Mic in the mix.

Be interested to hear how you get on with it and which you end up preferring.

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467

I dunno !
    Luckily you've got best of both worlds and the ability to run FRFR and/or a Cab with your powered head.

Personally, I bought the powered head in order to be more flexible when all that was at a venue was a guitar cab and I didn't have the room to carry my DXR10(s) with me. I've not tried mine with a cab yet, but am intigued to do so and am looking forward to trying it. The DXR's sound great though.

The Power Cab is a bit of a different beast, in that it doesn't take into consideration the Mic emulation, to my knowledge. So it'll be a bit different to your regular FRFR where you've been used to accounting for the Mic in the mix.

Be interested to hear how you get on with it and which you end up preferring.
    The bit in bold isn’t so...

From Line6 here:

‘User-selectable mic modeling and distance on the XLR output (Powercab 112’s output uses an SM58 model only)’

@Wazmeister I’m still of the opinion the PowerCab isn’t loud enough for use (unreinforced) in a band environment. Not that I’ve tried using mine with the band. Why don’t you buy one and give it a go though... I’d welcome a second opinion.
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3466
    edited June 2018
    Apologies, fucking idiots on here handing out incorrect information!
    Thanks for correcting! :-)

Actually, thinking about it, think I got that info from the Guitar Nerds podcast! That'll learn me!

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Apologies, fucking idiots on here handing out incorrect information! :/
    Sorry JT, I really tried to word it so it didn’t sound like a rebuke... certainly didn’t mean it to :)
  • simonk said:
    Apologies, fucking idiots on here handing out incorrect information! :/
    Sorry JT, I really tried to word it so it didn’t sound like a rebuke... certainly didn’t mean it to :)
    Absolutely, mate. Not a problem at all! I'm glad to learn this stuff! :-) actually makes the Power Cab a bit more interesting for my needs.

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Any timescale on the editor? it's about bloody time.  

Looking forward to the reverbs now too, I've always wanted two verbs to switch between and the lack of options has been a (very small) bugbear 

Kemper still holds place for best guitar purchase ever made (other than guitars themselves)
  • dangriffithsdangriffiths Frets: 562
    joeyowen said:
    Any timescale on the editor? it's about bloody time.  

Looking forward to the reverbs now too, I've always wanted two verbs to switch between and the lack of options has been a (very small) bugbear 

Kemper still holds place for best guitar purchase ever made (other than guitars themselves)
    Totally agree on the last point. As people know from my classifieds I have tried out a lot of stuff!

I have never once thought about selling the Kemper.

Editor, better wah and better univibe/rotary I would love
  • Yep, me too. Kemper is right up there for me, lovely unit and delivers on so many levels.

I am a massive delay fanatic and it's perhaps testament to the Kemper that I've not rushed out to buy an old favourite delay pedal, such is the gas, but I dont need to, the delays are incredible.

Regards to timescale on the editor, there's no ETA yet. Think that's a common trend with Kemper and the others.