the official "theFB Mixing Challenge"....

What's Hot
poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
edited July 2018 in Making Music
@TTony and @Roland ;;;;; have given me the go ahead to launch the first official “theFB Mixing Challenge”.

At the start of June, 20+ guitarists of varying ability and confidence walked into a studio (most for the first time) and played a few songs.

Very few of these guys had even met before let alone played with each other and pretty much all of the songs played that day were, Walk into room, Plug in guitar and away we go! All the songs were done in "One Take” with no rehearsal.

So to promote a bit of “Cross Category” love on theFB I’ve chosen a track from the day (Fortunate Son) and will make the raw tracks available to whoever wants to join in.

This is about getting a good mix from what is available, so no "re-recording parts".

If you want to join the fun, send me a DM and I will provide you with a link to the raw tracks.

Send your submissions to mix@thefretboard.co.uk as an mp3.

And completely stealing from @stratman3142 (sorry, Hope its ok?) 

Voting will start soon after the submission deadline of 24th July 2018, with each voter selecting their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.

First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point

Voting will end on 11.30pm 31st July 2018

The order and scores of the top three entries will be announced soon after the voting ends. If there are 8 or more entries, then the order and scores of those in the top half will be announced.  

No prizes. It's just for fun.

As people submit their entries, I'll post them in a playlist below. Hopefully we can share tips and tricks on how the mix was achieved.

Playlist of mixes bellow:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/thefb-mixing-challenge-no1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1804
    Must use all the tracks... 

Oh well. Not for me then. :)

Good on you for organising this @poopot ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Must use all the tracks... 

Oh well. Not for me then. :)

Good on you for organising this @poopot ;
    Enter a “proper” one and send a “flyingpied” version afterwards... how’s that for a deal? :)
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Sounds good .. like the track above. Will have a go.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Fretwired said:
    Sounds good .. like the track above. Will have a go.
    Tracks sent
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14257
    edited June 2018
    Must use all the tracks... Oh well. Not for me then.
    I concur. In the context of a tFB "fun" mixing challenge, this constraint is unacceptable.

If one were being paid by the quarter hour to use all of the supplied tracks, that would be different. 

This is not said to be disrespectful to the musicians contributing to the multi-track recording(s). It is about doing what is best for each song. Sometimes, these two stipulations are incompatible. 

As an example, I cite the 1999 edition of Jimi Hendrix Live At Woodstock. The Gyspy Sun And Rainbows sextet has been strategically mixed to emphasise the core trio of Hendrix, Mitchell and Cox. The second guitar and percussion have been adjusted to, ahem, do the least possible damage.

Sometimes, you need to call in Andy White.
    Be seeing you.
    Must use all the tracks... Oh well. Not for me then.
    I concur. In the context of a tFB "fun" mixing challenge, this constraint is unacceptable.

If one were being paid by the quarter hour to use all of the supplied tracks, that would be different. 

This is not said to be disrespectful to the musicians contributing to the multi-track recording(s). It is about doing what is best for each song. Sometimes, these two stipulations are incompatible. 

As an example, I cite the 1999 edition of Jimi Hendrix Live At Woodstock. The Gyspy Sun And Rainbows sextet has been strategically mixed to emphasise the core trio of Hendrix, Mitchell and Cox. The second guitar and percussion have been adjusted to, ahem, do the least possible damage.

Sometimes, you need to call in Andy White.
    Ok, Maybe worded wrongly...   basically we don't want people re-doing  "Guitar" or "bass" parts for example...   Will Edit to reflect that.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6594
    Why not have two challenges - one traditional, one free for all (Add keys, extra vocals, kazoo, goat yodeling, etc) - Id like to see what could be made from the same basic input material.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    Why not have two challenges - one traditional, one free for all (Add keys, extra vocals, kazoo, goat yodeling, etc) - Id like to see what could be made from the same basic input material.
    Moving forward I agree, a “remix” challenge would be a great thing to have...

lets see see if we can get this one moving first. A few that have expressed interest in this comp have never mixed anything before and are keen to learn from others.

Besides, with the amount of bleed on every track folk will have their work cut out with this one already :)
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1804
    @mrkb I'm always up for the "ruin my song" extreme remix challenge 

I think @poopot is right in that they're shouldn't be a middle ground where overdubs are used. Either mix with what you're given or cut it to pieces so it's unrecognisable 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited June 2018
    Come on .. there are 12 tracks of which 8 make up the drum kit. It's a bit of fun .... were it 30 tracks I'd agree.

Let's just mix what we've been given .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    Go on then, I'll give it a go ... been a while since I mixed live drums.
    Bezzer said:
    Go on then, I'll give it a go ... been a while since I mixed live drums.
    Files sent!
    Calling @spark240 and @IMC1980 you up for another?
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 141
    I will get in on one in the future @poopot, trying to get through backlog of my own recordings to finish them off. I havent even downloaded the tracks for the last Chicken Thieves mix challenge and that was ages ago! 

Will be interesting to hear what people do with their mixes though. 
    Oh my God ... the bleed ... the bleed ... it's everywhere!  Ha ha ...
    OK, I've done a mix but going to sit on it for a night and listen again with fresh ears.  Honestly though, I've never wanted to use drum replacement more ... not because of the drumming, just .. I wanted it all cleaner!  :) 
    Bezzer said:
    Oh my God ... the bleed ... the bleed ... it's everywhere!  Ha ha ...
    OK, I've done a mix but going to sit on it for a night and listen again with fresh ears.  Honestly though, I've never wanted to use drum replacement more ... not because of the drumming, just .. I wanted it all cleaner!  :) 
    It’s a challenge that’s for sure!  The day was more about “playing” rather than “recording”... 
    poopot said:
    It’s a challenge that’s for sure!  The day was more about “playing” rather than “recording”... 
    Well of course it was, it wasn't a criticism in any real sense.  Managed to gate most of it out of the kick and snare tracks but everywhere else, not a chance.  Does lead down the "OK, lets try for a balanced 'live' sound rather than a 'studio'" mixing game.
    Bezzer said:
    poopot said:
    Well of course it was, it wasn't a criticism in any real sense.  Managed to gate most of it out of the kick and snare tracks but everywhere else, not a chance.  Does lead down the "OK, lets try for a balanced 'live' sound rather than a 'studio'" mixing game.
    Oh no!... I didn’t take it as a criticism, was commenting to excuse the recording :)

to give you an idea of the setup, we had drums in one corner then bass amp and five guitar amps all around the room pointing into the middle!!!! The poor vocalists were stood in the middle of what was essentially a “noise circle” :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    OK, I've sent in a mix. Hopefully it's reasonable ... think it sounds quite well balanced, you can hear everything, not nasty EQ spikes ... removed as much noise as possible so ... see what you think!

Interestingly, I know I should've done but I didn't know this song until a year ago when I was challenged to cover it. Decided I'd go in with only lyrics, chords and an old school internet tab for arrangement purposes.  Might stick that up in another post ... :)
    Bezzer said:
    OK, I've sent in a mix. Hopefully it's reasonable ... think it sounds quite well balanced, you can hear everything, not nasty EQ spikes ... removed as much noise as possible so ... see what you think!

Got it, will wait till I get another before I upload a play list!...