GSP1101 Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    mr-mac said:
    Page 48/49 on gsp1101 manual covers midi and particularly CC mapping.  You can set any incoming midi CC 0-127 to be any of the stomp or expression controls.  So say you have a basic pedal with 5 buttons that send 1-5 then in the CC mapping you tell gsp what to do when it sees a 1 or 2 and so on.
    Ah right OK but I'd presumably need an 8 switch controller to have four presets and each with a switchable stomp? Am I understanding that correctly?
    If you wanted everything, if you could use rotary on gsp to change program a smaller 4/5 stomp midi could get you all the in song changes you need.  However i like that control 2 gets me all functions and tuner at my feet, its actually not that big so slips in nicely at base of three foot mic stand....

there is a guy (France i think) selling a control 2 for €100 at moment.  It really is a cracking tour grade board. Remember these were used for big names so mostly their rack gear would be off stage so a controller like this for the market was probably right (line 6 racks are similar with FBV).  know of people who have been outdoors and the control 2 got utterly drenched and is still working to this day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah, I do like the foot controller - first time I have had a really clear screen telling me exactly what is going on when I hit a switch. Also, a slightly smaller footprint than the HD500X. The expression pedal on mine was squeaky when I got it but a quick squirt of switch cleaner sorted that out :)

Again - less flexibility than something like the Helix where you can assign anything to anything...but for me, the layout is spot on anyway so I wouldn't need to make any changes.
    Belive you can change the function on control 2 to do something different.  so if you don't use one ever you could repurpose to turn a different effect on.  Control button can also be used to change an efx value rather than on/off so could increase gain on a stomp.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    mr-mac said:
    mr-mac said:
    Page 48/49 on gsp1101 manual covers midi and particularly CC mapping.  You can set any incoming midi CC 0-127 to be any of the stomp or expression controls.  So say you have a basic pedal with 5 buttons that send 1-5 then in the CC mapping you tell gsp what to do when it sees a 1 or 2 and so on.
    Ah right OK but I'd presumably need an 8 switch controller to have four presets and each with a switchable stomp? Am I understanding that correctly?
    If you wanted everything, if you could use rotary on gsp to change program a smaller 4/5 stomp midi could get you all the in song changes you need.  However i like that control 2 gets me all functions and tuner at my feet, its actually not that big so slips in nicely at base of three foot mic stand....

there is a guy (France i think) selling a control 2 for €100 at moment.  It really is a cracking tour grade board. Remember these were used for big names so mostly their rack gear would be off stage so a controller like this for the market was probably right (line 6 racks are similar with FBV).  know of people who have been outdoors and the control 2 got utterly drenched and is still working to this day.
    I think it's the Control 2 or the Behringer then as I'd need to switch between presets on the fly between say rhythm and lead, then to clean etc etc. Then one stomp on/off per preset (term on clean and rhythm, octave down on lead, octavia on solo). Though with this set up I suppose it doesn't matter if the 8 switches were set as eight presets or 4 presets + 4 stomps
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    Gsp can use control 2 as 10 preset or 5 preset/5 stomp (i go for 5/5 mode).  I prefer control 2 as it tells me patch i am on, gives me tuner access and I can see what stomps are on/off which you don't get with a midi one..
    edited June 2018
    mr-mac said:
    Gsp can use control 2 as 10 preset or 5 preset/5 stomp (i go for 5/5 mode).  I prefer control 2 as it tells me patch i am on, gives me tuner access and I can see what stomps are on/off which you don't get with a midi one..
    Yeah but I guess it only matters which mode on the Control 2 if you are using more than one stomp, I'd only want one per preset so the two modes don't matter as it's essentially the same thing

Forgive me I'm thinking out loud which I shouldn't do Haha just sadly thinking that it won't be the option for what I wanted it for, only for recording. I may as well keep my pedals rather than get further spendy on a controller and have the hassle of flogging things and crying at the losses :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    mr-mac said:
    Yeah but I guess it only matters which mode on the Control 2 if you are using more than one stomp, I'd only want one per preset so the two modes don't matter as it's essentially the same thing

Forgive me I'm thinking out loud which I shouldn't do Haha just sadly thinking that it won't be the option for what I wanted it for, only for recording. I may as well keep my pedals rather than get further spendy on a controller and have the hassle of flogging things and crying at the losses :)
    Yeah true, works great at 4 cable if want a nice simple flexible rig.  If hook up usb with xedit you could easy trial the sounds round your real amp without any spend.  That's what I'd always do as no point spending on a maybe/might.
    edited June 2018
    If I ever see any cheap gear going will always post just in case anything comes up that's cheap enough to make a punt on off chance a go.
    edited June 2018
    @thecolourbox ;;

when you were trying to record direct...

were you using drivers and selecting the gsp in recording software's list? Also you got a recording of the sound?
    Zappa Plays Zappa using GSP1101's (there are 3 GSP1101's in the racks) circa 2008/9

mr-mac said:
    @thecolourbox ;;

when you were trying to record direct...

were you using drivers and selecting the gsp in recording software's list? Also you got a recording of the sound?
    Yeah I was using the right driver but an old 2012 laptop which I backdated to windows 7 so that's probably why... I think I deleted the recordings as they were useless but if they are still there I'll try and share it. It did it when I tried to record through my supro amp into the gsp as well so may still have those
    I'd retry with fresh driver and make sure to pick the driver in devices on the recording software ;)
    edited June 2018
    mr-mac said:
    I'd retry with fresh driver and make sure to pick the driver in devices on the recording software
    I have done that a few times not to worry, I don't think it's a bit of humming that is preventing my recordings changing the world ;)
    Well if ya happen to come across recording I'll also post to the FB user group and see if anyone seen the same ;)
    mr-mac said:
    Well if ya happen to come across recording I'll also post to the FB user group and see if anyone seen the same ;)

Hopefully the sound is audible on youtube. No need to post it on the facebook group as I'm already on there myself, thank you though

Can hear it even on mobile replay with ear nearer phone... 

Hopefully someone has seen and solved a similar issue.  
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
    Anyone know how the expression pedal on the Control 2 is configured to control volume when not in Wah mode? I mean, what is it linked to? I wanted to use it to control amp gain level but I can't seem to unlink it from controlling overall volume...
    edited June 2018
    To assign a parameter to be controlled by the Control 2’s built-in Expression Pedal, turn the Edit/Select knob until <FC PDL1> appears.

To assign a parameter to be controlled by the Control 2’s optional rear panel expression pedal, turn the Edit/Select knob until <FC PDL2> appears.

Press the Edit/Select knob. The Linking menu appears.

Scroll down and highlight LINKED TO NO LINK.

Press the Edit/Select knob.

Turn the Edit/Select knob to select a parameter to assign to the Expression Pedal and press the Edit/Select knob.

The Min and Max values are automatically updated with the selected parameter’s defaults. You can also edit the Min and Max values to customize the parameter range for your needs using the Edit/Select knob.

Changes must be stored to preset 
    edited June 2018
    If you have any basic volume pedals lying about then plug a 1/4" TR from exp on gsp the input on volume pedal.  there is a utility in menus to calibrate.  Then you could add a volume parameter to FC PDL2 .

remember with both pdl1 and pdl 2 you can also change min and max values so could use as a solo boost.  The control button can also do same but its an on/off use of the min and max you set then.
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
    Thanks but the issue I have is that the expression pedal seems to be set to control the overall volume atm and I can't see how to turn it off. It doesn't appear to be linked to any volume parameter that I can see. 
    Follow instructions i posted but select the gain parameter as one you want it to adjust