the official "theFB Mixing Challenge"....

What's Hot

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Right, first mix has been submitted by @Bezzer and is in the playlist at the top of the thread... Who's next? how we all getting on?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2018
    Added mine to the playlist.

Removed most of the bleed on the drums using a fast attack multipressor, Snare gets a big plate on a bus.
    kick and overheads have parallel compression.

Bass, just a bit of compression and EQ.

Lead guitar - EQ, send to bus with the plate and I have cut out all the dead space from the track.
    Rhythm guitar - EQ send to bus with the plate.

Vocals - Cut out everything except the vocal from this track. Mild compression, small amount of pitch correction and send to bus with plate reverb

Master track has light compression, EQ and limiter.

Tempo raised slightly to get it jogging along nicely...

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8476
    edited July 2018
    I'm enjoying this thread! Just one request - could the entries be adjusted in volume so they're approximately level matched? Big volume difference between the two that are up at the moment.

Happy to be told to piss off if not  B also happy to volunteer my own volume adjusting hand, level match them to something conservative like -16lufs to make it easier to switch between mixes to hear the different approaches.
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    My mix does seem a bit on the quiet side.  I'm not going to be around to get a chance to boost it further.  Was set to a zero db peak and compressed as I normally do.  On the off chance I get some spare time I'll see if I can add some loudification to it.
    As for some process of what I did:

Drums.
    Kick and Snare were both gated to clean out as much bleed as possible, as these are such dramatic response this worked quite nicely.  The rest I had to live with the bleed (@poopot, can you give me some info on that multipressor, sounds useful!)
    EQ on the Kick to push the sub without too much whooomp, remove the boxiness with a mid cut and a boost around 5K to bring the beater in.
    On the Snare, emphasis on the crack, hi pass around 100Hz and a cut around 650 to tighten it up.
    General EQ on other mics ... just tighten the toms, take some fizz from the cymbals.
    Reverb channel set up, applied across all mics but only about 10% on the kick and snare, used to unify the kit but not weaken those drums.

Guitars panned,compressed and gated.  EQ applied to boost some mid, cut the subs and remove a little fizz.

Bass EQ to fit in with the kick a little better, boost some of the sub and a boost to brighten the attack a smidge.

Vocals, just some EQ, compression and reverb ... @poopot if you got rid of the noise you're a genius and I NEED that plugin :)

Final step was really light compression across the whole thing, some stereo enhancement, a limiter so I can push into the red and hold at 0db and a gentle EQ to even it out a touch.

Definitely ended up too quiet though.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Bezzer said:
    As for some process of what I did:

Drums.
    Kick and Snare were both gated to clean out as much bleed as possible, as these are such dramatic response this worked quite nicely.  The rest I had to live with the bleed (@poopot, can you give me some info on that multipressor, sounds useful!)
    EQ on the Kick to push the sub without too much whooomp, remove the boxiness with a mid cut and a boost around 5K to bring the beater in.
    On the Snare, emphasis on the crack, hi pass around 100Hz and a cut around 650 to tighten it up.
    General EQ on other mics ... just tighten the toms, take some fizz from the cymbals.
    Reverb channel set up, applied across all mics but only about 10% on the kick and snare, used to unify the kit but not weaken those drums.

Guitars panned,compressed and gated.  EQ applied to boost some mid, cut the subs and remove a little fizz.

Bass EQ to fit in with the kick a little better, boost some of the sub and a boost to brighten the attack a smidge.

Vocals, just some EQ, compression and reverb ... @poopot if you got rid of the noise you're a genius and I NEED that plugin :)

Final step was really light compression across the whole thing, some stereo enhancement, a limiter so I can push into the red and hold at 0db and a gentle EQ to even it out a touch.

Definitely ended up too quiet though.
    The room setup was definitely done for players and not for the recording I'd say it was about as sub-optimal as it could get for a decent controlled recording!! As such, anything you guys manage to eek out of it is excellent
    edited July 2018
    Cirrus said:
    I'm enjoying this thread! Just one request - could the entries be adjusted in volume so they're approximately level matched? Big volume difference between the two that are up at the moment.

Happy to be told to piss off if not  B also happy to volunteer my own volume adjusting hand, level match them to something conservative like -16lufs to make it easier to switch between mixes to hear the different approaches.
    I guess it can be considered part of the challenge... Different mixes are going to come through at different levels depending on who has done the mixing.

Bezzer said:

Ah, no... I got rid of the bleed on the vocal mic when there was no vocal by cutting the dead space out

Did the same for the bleed on the 5e3 track
    edited July 2018
    Ah see what you mean.  I tried that but felt (in my mix at any rate) it led to a weird effect, like some side chain compression going on.  Could just've been my setup / ears / incompetence though!
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 88
    As a mixing virgin I am feeling more than a little out of my depth!  
    Brocco said:
    Ask away!... be good to get some discussion going!.
    Are there any restrictions regarding the degree to which the elements provided can be changed or omitted?  I had played around in GB with levels and assigned amps to the guitars and bass and was going to leave it there. The first mix to be posted and the comments so far make me think that I need to take a more radical approach, but I have little idea how to technically achieve that!
    edited July 2018
    Brocco said:
    Are there any restrictions regarding the degree to which the elements provided can be changed or omitted?  I had played around in GB with levels and assigned amps to the guitars and bass and was going to leave it there. The first mix to be posted and the comments so far make me think that I need to take a more radical approach, but I have little idea how to technically achieve that!
    If you want to run the guitars through the GB amps go for it.

my mix was done by just basic panning, levels, compression and eq. Add in a little reverb here and there and it’s done.

You want each element to sit in its own space on the stereo spectrum, if everything is set up the middle, each track will stamp over the next and it will sound muddy for example.

in addition to the panning you have to consider EQ on each track for the same reason. The pic below will give you a rough idea of where stuff resides on the frequency spectrum.

There are other tricks you can use. The drum overheads have picked up pretty much everything in the room. I wanted just the high end of the drums (cymbals essential) so I used a channel eq and cut all of the frequencies below 800hz or so, this leaves just a "sizzle" to the overheads, each OH track has been duplicated and the second is heavily compressed and mixed in just a little to add a bit of body (parallel compression).

parallel compression was used on the kick to give it a bit of oomph.

I try to get the panning sorted, then levels, then EQ etc...

Just to add, Im very much a beginner at this as well!.
    Many thanks, @poopot, very helpful.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    poopot said:
    Calling @spark240 and @IMC1980 you up for another?
    Yep...sorry, I’m away this week.....I’ll have a go at the weekend if you mail me the files .

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    Brocco said:
    On the contrary dude, Every mix challenge is a learning curve....get stuck in !

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    spark240 said:
    poopot said:
    Calling @spark240 and @IMC1980 you up for another?
    Yep...sorry, I’m away this week.....I’ll have a go at the weekend if you mail me the files .

Sent!...
    Tracks loaded and V1 done....some tweaks tomorrow then upload ...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    edited July 2018
    So....heres my effort..Immusing Studio One V4

Started with drums, Stripped all silence from Kick and snare, some in auto some manually, treated both with Shepps Omni and S1 Fat channel, pus mixverb on the snare.

Toms, stripped all silence, plus manual editing, Omni channel and Fat channel again, panned Hi / Mid / Low

OH LR panned, no FX.

All drums sent to Bus, Omni Bus compression and slight reverb.

Rhythm Gtrs, dusplicated track, panned LR with -15ms / +15ms delay / advance to add width, added S1 Fat channel for Comp. EQ etc.

Lead Gtr - Kept central, Fat channel, some Beat delay, Abbey Rd Reverb and slight widening.

Vocal - Duplicated track, original down the middle, duplicate hard right with advance 10ms low in the mix, tread with Waves RVox, Omni channel, Mixverb, Pro EQ.

Main Bus - Post Limiter +1Db,  EQ to Hi Pass, DBX 160 compression ( light comp), Abbey Rd Vinyl grit.

Hope you like it !

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    Sorry...Im having trouble with permissions again !

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview