GSP1101 Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
    Any recommendations for good IRs to load into the GSP? I don't want to go down an IR rabbit hole but it would be good to try out a few. Thanks!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    So I downloaded the free Ownhammer Mesa 4x12 ones and stuck the first 10 on the GSP...interesting. I wouldn't say they are a million miles away from the stock cabs. These particular ones sound quite similar to the stock "British 1x12" cab for some reason. Maybe with a bit more complexity to them.

I was running the 1/4" output into a 44 Magnum and Orange 1x12 and the XLR into a db Hype 8" powered PA speaker. With both on together it just sounded monster! :)

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    edited July 2018
    Using IR's in the gsp is a bit of a minefield. It does truncate the bit size which has an effect on clarity compared to other preamps that don't. I've tried a few IR's in mine but nearly always end up using the stock 'Digitech Alt 4x12' which seems to sound better than anything else for some reason.
    I've tried a few more now and some of them certainly do have quite a bit more life to them. Sounds pretty decent even through my cheapo dbHype8 speaker...from memory I think it sounds better than the Helix LT did through the same speaker but maybe my memory is playing tricks. I just remember thinking I didn't really find those sounds useable at the time.

I'll give it a whirl through the PA at next practice and see how that goes. :)
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    A "Digital Music Corp" Ground Control midi controller (somthing to do with Voodoo labs I think) has turned up in my local Cash Generator, for £50, which I assume would do the job as controller. Seems to allow 4 switches for presets and 6 to assign to fx which I guess would do the job. But the question is...is it worth cheaping out and getting something that looks a bit grubby (and probably smells of cigarettes if it's from there) or sticking with the universally liked Digitech Control?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    Picking one up tomorrow with the dedicated foot Controller, well I couldn't resist ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    Another GSP1101 user reporting in.
    Mine's in a mini rack with Laney IRT Studio, perfect studio setup for me.
    @thecolourbox I've tried it with other midi controllers but the Control2 is so much nicer to use with it. I'd keep your eyes peeled for a SH one if I were you.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    Woah - just tried a few more Ownhammer IRs through the PA speaker...absolute night and day compared to the stock cabs. Sounds amazing - like a completely different beast! I think I actually prefer the sound to running it into a real cab via a power amp.

Can't wait to try this thing at volume :)

One weird thing - I have set the global cab to ON and it shows up in all the presets but it isn't actually using the cab I have specified...when you edit the preset you can see it has reverted to the default cab selection. Any idea what I am doing wrong there?
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited July 2018
    I'm hoping to pick up a bargain one of these on the 2nd hand market if only as a tester to see if I want to splash the big bucks on a Helix or something. £200 ish seems to be the going rate on ebay which kinda feels like a lot to me for 10 year old tech - where are you guys finding your bargains?
  • SheldersShelders Frets: 22
    TTBZ said:
    I'm hoping to pick up a bargain one of these on the 2nd hand market if only as a tester to see if I want to splash the big bucks on a Helix or something. £200 ish seems to be the going rate on ebay which kinda feels like a lot to me for 10 year old tech - where are you guys finding your bargains?
    This is also relevant to my interests 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    Shelders said:
    TTBZ said:
    I bought mine on Amazon Warehouse for (I think) £135!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    I got my unit from ebay a couple of years ago for £160 and I added the Control2 when Thoman were selling them off earlier this year for £130ish I think.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    edited July 2018
    Woah - just tried a few more Ownhammer IRs through the PA speaker...absolute night and day compared to the stock cabs. Sounds amazing - like a completely different beast! I think I actually prefer the sound to running it into a real cab via a power amp.

Can't wait to try this thing at volume

One weird thing - I have set the global cab to ON and it shows up in all the presets but it isn't actually using the cab I have specified...when you edit the preset you can see it has reverted to the default cab selection. Any idea what I am doing wrong there?

Global cab is best used if you are wanting to sound same as your combo or amp/cab so it replaces all cab selections globally in all presests with a single cab file of your choosing.

Set global cab to off and it will select the individual cab files specified in each preset.

if you pick a preset with a cab selection that sounds lots different and switch global on and off i am sure you should hear the difference ;) (it doesn't overwrite the preset its a way to make unit override it globally but cabs for preset are still saved to each preset.
    Ownhammer and redwires work well on them.  Remember to select the 44.1/128fs files and not higher (will double check i think, against what people say, you can use 44.1/256fs but it only applies it to a single side iirc left outputs only... But will check and confirm.
    edited July 2018
    Shelders said:
    TTBZ said:

£200 is a bargain when you hold it side by side against anything else at same price and also compare them to axe/helix.  With control 2 included I'd say you'll pay £250.  Without 150-200.  Bargains cheaper than that are few and far between.

try and buy with control 2 as don't often see em for sale s/h seperste from gsp.  Inly one I've seen is on FB group at moment for €100.

Control 2 is a serious bit of kit that would happily stand up to touring, very heavy and reliable.... Big advantage to a normal midi controller.  Look down and see preset, see what is on and off, see your tuner all without looking back at rack to try and see that info.  Means rack doesn't even have to be visible.
    I got lucky and picked up my 2nd (backup) unit for £50 on gumtree but never seen another at that price.  some of bargains were when they were selling off remaining stock last year.

I do expect price to come down but don't expect you'll see cheap ones a lot as they do peform at a very high level only missing some of the routing flexibility and sticking of the current crop.  But give away very little in sound.  You want metal put a gsp1101 against axe or helix on 5150 and be shocked.  People who 4 cabled them actually chose model into poweramo over real preamp
    mr-mac said:

Global cab is best used if you are wanting to sound same as your combo or amp/cab so it replaces all cab selections globally in all presests with a single cab file of your choosing.

Set global cab to off and it will select the individual cab files specified in each preset.

if you pick a preset with a cab selection that sounds lots different and switch global on and off i am sure you should hear the difference ;) (it doesn't overwrite the preset its a way to make unit override it globally but cabs for preset are still saved to each preset.
    Yeah, the global cab setting doesn't seem to work on mine.
    As well as turning it on assume you specified a cab?? Try the cab file in a preset maybe objecting to cab (or try and I built one globally)
    Which output 1/4" or xlr? You can have it set to do one and not other????
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    Well, I’ve gone and bought one with the dedicated foot controller, Flightcase and Gig bag whilst on holiday in Wales. Think I’ll be annoying g the neighbours on Monday :)