GSP1101 Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    sweepy said:
    Well, I’ve gone and bought one with the dedicated foot controller, Flightcase and Gig bag whilst on holiday in Wales. Think I’ll be annoying g the neighbours on Monday :) 
    Christ that was quick... Hope ya found a good deal ;) and give us all a shout once you've had a play for any advice or anything ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    Well, we were on holiday in Wales and one popped up for £250 inc 2U Flightcase, gigbag for the foot controller and some leads, it would have been rude to say no :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    That is a good price.
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
    Top deal! That's what I paid for mine :)
    edited July 2018
    One weird thing - I have set the global cab to ON and it shows up in all the presets but it isn't actually using the cab I have specified...when you edit the preset you can see it has reverted to the default cab selection. Any idea what I am doing wrong there?
    So, I think I've found the issue here. It's not that the global cab isn't working, it's that if you use the global cab AND you have another cab specified within the preset you get a combination of both...so it sounds different from the global cab by itself. I found this post on TGP which seems to confirm that:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/gsp1101-oddity-with-direct-out-and-global-cab.1209532/

So it means that it you want to rely on the global cab then you have to set the cab in the preset itself to 'Direct' (i.e. no cab sim). That would be fine if that setting persisted but every time you change the amp in the preset, it automatically changes the cab to whatever the matching cab is. So, you then have to change the cab back to Direct. This means there's not a lot of point  in having a global cab function at all - you may as well just edit each preset.

Although, I suppose once you set everything to Direct, then you can change the global cab and try different ones...so maybe there is some benefit.

It does seem a really weird design choice that the internal preset cab sim i snot bypassed when you switch on the Global Cab function...feels like a mistake to me.

edited July 2018
    One weird thing - I have set the global cab to ON and it shows up in all the presets but it isn't actually using the cab I have specified...when you edit the preset you can see it has reverted to the default cab selection. Any idea what I am doing wrong there?
    So, I think I've found the issue here. It's not that the global cab isn't working, it's that if you use the global cab AND you have another cab specified within the preset you get a combination of both...so it sounds different from the global cab by itself. I found this post on TGP which seems to confirm that:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/gsp1101-oddity-with-direct-out-and-global-cab.1209532/

So it means that it you want to rely on the global cab then you have to set the cab in the preset itself to 'Direct' (i.e. no cab sim). That would be fine if that setting persisted but every time you change the amp in the preset, it automatically changes the cab to whatever the matching cab is. So, you then have to change the cab back to Direct. This means there's not a lot of point  in having a global cab function at all - you may as well just edit each preset.

Although, I suppose once you set everything to Direct, then you can change the global cab and try different ones...so maybe there is some benefit.

It does seem a really weird design choice that the internal preset cab sim i snot bypassed when you switch on the Global Cab function...feels like a mistake to me.

Totally agree if all are like that.  It was maybe an attempt to keep presets sounding like the preset you created but also similar to the global cab you set.   seems very strange though as iirc it was said gsp had power to do two channels at 128fs and mono left at 256fs so how it seems to have power to mix too cabs in the cab block I don't know.

that thread you linked I suspect is actually saying if you set cab in preset to direct the global cab still applies instead of direct.  He's complaining global cab stays on when he sets direct in preset.  And that is expected behaviour as global cab should apply globaly to all output from all presets (that's the point).  He is saying to get some presets with a cab and some without he has to set them in each preset.  Yep.. Very true. If your presets are to be a mix of some using IR/cab and some not then you need to set it per preset and global won't work for you.

Also worth looking.  Setting cabs to off doesn't sound 100% the same as direct which in theory should be same.  

its part of reason i want to find a really gash, deliberately weird muddled band limited sounding IR file for testing so can easily hear what its doing.  Again I am fairly damn sure the gsp doesn't have capability to mix cabs so must be a different reason for global to sound different.

idea....

for global upload same cab as your using but 256fs version and tick box to upload it as mono.  This will give you a proper 256fs IR capability but apply to left channel only (bit that is maxing gsp capability so shouldn't be room for preset cab to affect it.  Use this as global cab and make sure using left xlr out.

next idea turn on cab on 1/4" as well then turn on global cab (and just use the xlr out) 

is your power amp mono or stereo? And are you feeding it just left xlr or both?

Do headphones tell the same story or just xlr?
    Headphones are the same as XLR, yes.

What I did to test it was set up 2 identical presets, one with a cab selected and one 'direct'. Then switched on the global cab and flipped between the two presets - sounded very different.

Ah - I think this is solved...it was the 'LPF to XLR' setting. What was throwing me off was that when I changed the internal cab sim it was also switching off the LPF which made that preset sound very different. So long as that is on, the presets sound identical with the global cab, regardless of the preset cab...mystery solved and all is good  
    Now that I've had a bit of time with it and got the I/O settings sorted out etc I thought I'd compare again with my Pod HD500X. Woah - the GSP is SO much better...just hugely more life to it and just sounds much more real.

One thing on the Helix was I didn't really like the Marshall models but the GSP has some great ones - the JCM800 and 900 are particularly good and I had loads of fun with the JCM2000 one - very much reminded me of my old DSL50.

I've got practice tomorrow and I'm going to take it to that...hopefully the wheels won't come off then!
    edited July 2018

Agree about the life to it... It does as it says and doesn't loose tone so swap guitar and it sounds like swapping guitar on a real amp and reacts differently as a real amp would.  It also seems to have it where amp models also react well to rolling off volume control when amp itself would do the same.  Xt generation pod's i tried were more one tone, swap guitar and still sounded like the preset and reacts less well to touch/volume control use.

Remember digitech brown sound is actually a really good surprise Marshall sounding amp model that can be a bit of a hidden gem defo worth a quick audition if looking for Marshall sounds

Wheels shouldn't come off as one thing i find with gsp is it doesn't get lost in mix, even direct to desk, like some modellers do.

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited July 2018
    Has anyone compared the GSP to Amplifire for marshally tones? Seems they'd be similar in price - obviously each have their advantages and disadvantages, but purely on tone I wonder if there's much in it?
    edited July 2018
    There is a vid in thread but doesn't compare Marshall tones particularly but does have kemper, amplifire and gsp1101.  there isn't a lot in it amp model wise anyway both will produce tones near top of line.  Put it this way i doubt you'd reckon you'd buy one and be gutted if you heard the other.  There will be presets and tones where one wil draw ahead etc.  Eg metal 5150 gsp will draw ahead.

Also may depend on what pedal models you want.  Obviously the gsp does seriously good dod,digitech,lexicon stuff, the tube screamer is as close to indistiguishable from real thing as i reckon you'll get.  So may come down to which pedal list sound better for you.  I like flexibility of gsp to do 4 cable, or incorporate rack pre and provide non cab to amp and cab modelled to xlr so can fit into most amps, or provided backlines or even straight to desk (planned or emergency) and none of the routes sound like a compromise tacked on feature.  Also like flexability of output midi mapping so can control midi devices, loops, amp channels (via midi or a midi to 1/4" unit) so if spend a little time on programs and midi you never need more than the control 2.  Could even have an 8 loop unit with a real pedal in each loop and again have presets and stomps switch them if you wanted to get really fancy and incorporate some real pedals to setup.
    Checked out most of the Youtube Demo's oh dear, they really don't do the unit many favours at all, got to make up some leads and ill get it hooked up to my mixer
    edited July 2018
    They are mostly metal there is odd decent demo (linked in thread) and a few more good vids i couldn't find this time round.

but yeah a decent demo of it getting used for some non metal things and showing efx getting used as you might in a live or recorded performance would be awesome.  With good quality recording and so on so can really get a feel for it via good speakers of headphones.

Just had a session on the GSP - this thing sounds really good...the most fun I've had playing in absolute ages :)

I feel like the unit really suits me because it is less flexible than things like the Helix - I really suffered with option paralysis with that. The GSP does everything a standard player would need and sounds really great. Although it is all menu based, it works really well because you don't need to do a lot of tweaking...things just sound good straight out of the box! The default parameters are really sensible. Great unit. For the cost of it...just mad value.
    I love some of the slightly mad tones though they do love   to put a noisegate on everything and praise be, a tuner that works for once 
    sweepy said:
    I love some of the slightly mad tones though they do love   to put a noisegate on everything and praise be, a tuner that works for once 
    So do you have the AxeFX, Helix and the GSP1101 now? I'd be interested in how you think they compare to each other? I used to have a Helix LT but I've never tried the Fractal.
    edited July 2018
    Just had a session on the GSP - this thing sounds really good...the most fun I've had playing in absolute ages

I feel like the unit really suits me because it is less flexible than things like the Helix - I really suffered with option paralysis with that. The GSP does everything a standard player would need and sounds really great. Although it is all menu based, it works really well because you don't need to do a lot of tweaking...things just sound good straight out of the box! The default parameters are really sensible. Great unit. For the cost of it...just mad value.
    Totally agree, and unlike some that sound fine at home doesnt show up shortcomings in mix.  I also found with more complicated units like helix it wasn't so much option paralysis cos if it sounded right in first place i wouldn't be looking for all the potential options and ways i could do things (the reason i am looking at the options is because I'm not happy with sound).  Don't know why sound on helix down to xt bothers me/my ears but it does and I end up going round in circles for months getting nowhere.  

yeah some stuff is menus but for presets xedit on computer is superb so something like a wee 8" acer win8/10 tablet off eBay or similar for £40 or there abouts can be a useful thing for editing without laptop or for taking presets at practise when you can hear mix plus can double up to have lyrics, notes, set list etc too (or even play music during breaks - gsp acts as a sound card too so just the usb cable required and your tablet can provide the fill in music as your setting up or on a break.

For cost i don't think there is anything close (amplifire can do similar but not sure it fully fills same space as you'd also need a good floor unit to make it as useable and then its priced quite a bit higher).  Don't think headrush sounds as good from demos i have seen.  Personally i don't think helix sounds as good (but reckon its a personal thing and and others may think helix sounds better).  Personally i say its as close to an axefx as you can get (and axe only pulls away a little if you really get to grips with some of extra setting to really tweak to your own sound.  All for price of... We'll feck me some single pedals cost the freeking same or more.  Kemper seems good and not used one myself but have seen a few people now say that when playing with someone using and axefx gsp1101 sits alongside in mix better than kemper.

You want more fx? Why not a gsp with l6 multifx modeller round gsp.  Gives you more pedal options, you could then stack pedals and all sorts and still likely come in quite a bit cheaper than half axe/kemper stuff without even thinking about controlling them.  l6 M stuff has midi iirc correctly so could set up presets to match and even have control 2 turning L6 stomps on/off.

other clever options.  If going 4 cable or running a rack preamp in gsp's loop you can turn up the volume in gsp before loop and send amp/preamp a hotter signal and turn back down after loop so not any louder than other presets but you have created a much more driven sound from your preamp without a pedal adding its own signature.  So its like ability to add extra drive channels to your real amp as well.
    I'd be interested what cab sims other use? I've downloaded the free Ownhammer ones based on the rectifier 4x12 and they do sound good but then so do some of the stock ones. At the moment I have the 'Vintage 4x12' selected as my global cab and I think that sounds nice. I plan to try running it through a proper PA tonight and that should be interesting.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    I have a few RedWirez ones loaded on mine but I basically only seem to use the Deluxe Reverb one and the Fender Twin one, I think on both of them it's whichever mic option is the ribbon mic and it'll probably be 1" away, I think that's it anyway. But that's because I tend to use fender flavored amps or my little Supro so it probably wouldn't be any good with the Marshalls or the Mesas
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic