Axisus's Parkrun progress thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2873
    Nowt like roadwork in the morning :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Got my Park run time down to 22.36 today. Tough going, I thought I was gonna throw up at the end. Pretty maxed out!
    Not feeling 100% today but shaved my time down to 22.26. I'd have tried a bit harder at the end if I knew I was onto a PB.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7813
    I'm battling the garden for three hours.  That'll be enough for the day.  
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6668
    I recently started going to the gym after a long lapse in keeping fit. I used to do trampolining, trapeze, acrobats, was a keen cyclist and was really strong and fit in my younger years. However, various ailments have kept me away from strenuous physical activity for a long while. 

I am going the callisthenics route and have been doing it for three weeks. It's absolutely amazing how my 53 year old body is responding to the workouts. I feel bloody fantastic.

Keep up the park runs, get back in shape, you'll probably live longer and healthier and feel great about yourself once your body and mind adjust to the change in pace. Good on you mate! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Had a reset on the parkrun. I basically had to give up running completely last July due to osteo-arthritis of the hip and knee. A total bummer. After the summer, the pains went a bit and I tried a parkrun tail end of last year, much slower for me as I don't run now, got around in a bit over 26 minutes. I felt OK after so I did a couple more and some more this year, slowly creeping the times up again despite the fact that I'm doing no running at all now apart from these occasionally. Last week got my reset best of 24.37. I'm going to try and keep going until I feel adverse reaction from hip knee and then that will be running done for this lifetime. I'm not really killing myself these days, but if I get a good conditions one I'll push the boat out for under 24.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited April 2018
    "Park Life"!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Well done guys. parkruns are great :)  I am a bit biased as a run director but see loads of people week after week gradually improving. It isn't a race but a run for yourself. So get out there, see what you can do :) The parkrun community is great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Against all the odds, I got my Parkrun time down to 23.03 this week!

I can't believe that I've improved to almost within half a minute of what I was doing last year with no running training at all. 
  • Chris777Chris777 Frets: 58
    edited May 2018
    My lad does open water swimming in a trout lake, he is trying to rope me in, I don't fancy a mouthful of duck poo or rat wee, I might keep saying my leg hurts, good luck with the run :)
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    The Mrs has been doing th Couch to 5k training and is loving it. I'd like to join her but have only this week progressed to 4 minutes of running on a treadmill after a complete Achilles reconstruction surgery in November. I did get a high five from my physio after it, I think she was as nervous as I was. 

Another few months of building up and I can hopefully think about running for longer. 
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1769
    axisus said:

I can't believe that I've improved to almost within half a minute of what I was doing last year with no running training at all. 
    @axisus that's an amazing time, not even considering your health problems (my PB as a fairly fit early 30s is 23:43)
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    BigMonka said:
    axisus said:

@axisus that's an amazing time, not even considering your health problems (my PB as a fairly fit early 30s is 23:43)
    Why thanks good Sir! I should add that my local park run takes in a hill FOUR times! 

Oh for a nice flat course ....
    I was going to take it easy this week after 6 days of gradually receding knee pain. I even wore my older, heavier shoes, so surprising that I impressed even myself with 22.59
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Parkrun today: 22.29. First in my 55-60 category and 21st overall out of 316 starters. Pretty pleased with that!

As I always say, not bad for an old man!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Despite the extreme heat new PB today, 22.22
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    I see you made the news, @axisushttps://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-manchester-44839526/man-88-completes-his-200th-parkrun

I must say you look well for your age!

Nitefly said:
    I wish I looked that good!

I'm always moaning about the 4 hill route of my local Parkrun. I dad a flat 5km race last Wednesday and finished in 21.31. It was mega hot mid-day, I'm sure I could do better with the right weather.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    edited July 2018
    Must have missed this thread first time round..

Great work mate! 21.31 for 5km is ridiculous speed! I tried to get sub-24 mins for the first time at lunch during my 5 mile run...only managed a second best time of 24.41 :( 
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    21.31 for 5k is an excellent result. I only run on the treadmill at the gym, but I only manage about 3k in that time.