GSP1101 Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Using a dr bonkers L5.  Still looking for a really good fender twin reverb one.  Think my normal one is a redwirz 4x12 for marshally stuff, as said still need good twin one but as going through my lab series mostly i may try making presets sound right through lab series ir 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I have a few RedWirez ones loaded on mine but I basically only seem to use the Deluxe Reverb one and the Fender Twin one, I think on both of them it's whichever mic option is the ribbon mic and it'll probably be 1" away, I think that's it anyway. But that's because I tend to use fender flavored amps or my little Supro so it probably wouldn't be any good with the Marshalls or the Mesas
    Will try the redwirez fender ones.

also remember upload as stereo you get 128fs on both channels... Upload as mono and you can actually get 256 on left channel only (loads say canny get 256 but you can if not needing stereo to mixer).
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    See I'm not arsed about FX at all which is what makes me think an Amplifire Box will do everything I need and basically just sit at the end of my board acting as a single channel JCM800 or Friedman amp with a built in lead boost. Current thinking is if I find a cheap enough GSP I might just give it a whirl though. 

For IRs I think the Celestion ones sound a bit more raw and unprocessed than Ownhammer which seem a bit warmer and thicker. The Redwirez free greenback 412 is pretty good as well.
    Amplifire probs do ya nicely but then you may just see a deal... Got my 2nd unit for £50 off gumtree (ok just gsp no control 2 but at that money
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
    So had my first proper practice last night with the GSP1101 into the 44 Magnum through a Peavey 5150 4x12 (just the cab that was in the rehearsal space) and I also ran a feed from the XLR into the PA.

Bottom line - sounded great. No issues with using this thing live. In the room, my favourite preset, which was a dual rectifier one, sounded a bit overgained and mushy but on my in-the-room MicroBR recording it actually sounded pretty good. I used the Marshall preset (JCM2000) mostly and that sounded excellent and cut through well. It's probably a case of being too heavy handed with the gain at bedroom levels - so I need to tone that down a bit. And try some other amp models. The Marshall ones are probably really useful.

Really pleased...I might have to look at a more serious power amp. The Magnum is fine but I'm a bit worried it might die on me. I was thinking maybe the Palmer Macht...I had a Harley Benton GPA-400 which I used for the Pod but the Magnum sounded a lot better than that so I'm not sure about getting that one again. It may have been a Pod-specific effect though because demos of the HB amp sound goo din comparison to other power amps.

I'm thinking of getting a 2U case or bag (gear4music do a 2U bag which would do) and having the GSP and power amp in that. Job done. :)
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I just bought one of these

https://www.studiospares.com/Accessories/Cases-Rack/Trojan-Carbon-Shallow-Rack-Case-2U_459260.htm

I know it's a bit daft, but it's one pretty rack case
    mr-mac said:
    Amplifire probs do ya nicely but then you may just see a deal... Got my 2nd unit for £50 off gumtree (ok just gsp no control 2 but at that money
    You don't need 2, drop me a PM ;)
    John_A said:

https://www.studiospares.com/Accessories/Cases-Rack/Trojan-Carbon-Shallow-Rack-Case-2U_459260.htm

Oh, that's cool...good price too. Might grab one too. :)

What do you use the rack stuff for? Have you gone Helix rack?
    John_A said:

Oh, that's cool...good price too. Might grab one too. :)

What do you use the rack stuff for? Have you gone Helix rack?
    No, it's for PA stuff, I got the 4U version.  keep thinking about a Helix rack but the floor one actually suits me better the way I use it.

Tip - If you stick the stuff in your basket then hit the back button the Studiospares web site normally offers you a £5 discount code :)
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    edited July 2018

That’s what my GSP1101 came with, love the little cable pouch in the lid

edited July 2018
    John_A said:
    mr-mac said:
    You don't need 2, drop me a PM
    I do as although it's my backup its part of full band jam/open mic pa/kit setup to give me ability ro plug in another guitarist who turns up on night quickly.

Also plan to experiment using two with some presets same on both and some different with a bit of delay to make rhythm parts soubd like two guitarists
    mr-mac said:
    John_A said:
    mr-mac said:
    You don't need 2, drop me a PM
    I do as although it's my backup its part of full band jam/open mic pa/kit setup to give me ability ro plug in another guitarist quickly.

Also plan to experiment using two with some presets same on both and some different with a bit of delay to make rhythm parts soubd like two guitarists
    Fair enough :)  Really would like to try one, so will keep my eyes peeled
    Not sure it will meet your flexibility needs, after being used to Helix...it would feel very basic after that. You can't change the order of the fx blocks and there is only one of each type. Also, things like the cabs - you don't get to choose the mic or mic positions or anything...it's just the cab. Probably not an issue if you use IRs anyway though.

I don't have the Helix any more but my feeling is that the amp models are right up there in terms of quality though.
    ...plus I feel like it is a lot easier to dial in...it really hardly needs any tweaking to sound good. My experience with all the Line 6 units is that I spent a lot of time adding eq blocks all over the place, hi/low cuts and struggling with volume levels. The GSP just doesn't seem to need that. Don't know why.
    My needs are pretty basic, but I really have the Helix sounding great to my ears.  A cheaper backup option is what I'm looking at and one that just sits in the rack ready to go would be ideal.
    Could be just the job then :)

I'd be really interested what you make of it, if you get one...
    Could be just the job then :)

I'd be really interested what you make of it, if you get one...
    If I get one I'll be sure to let you know 
    Not sure whether it makes sense for me to buy a 1U rack power amp. If I do then I have to carry an amp-sized thing (GSP and power amp in a 2U rack) as well as the foot controller. Last night it was cool because I slipped the GSP into the side pocket of the same bag I had the foot controller in, popped my Magnum 44 in my gig bag and that was all I needed. I did take a 1x12 cab with me but in the end I didn't need it so it just stayed in the car.

I am worried about the EHX dying on me though. I could take my Orange micro dark and just plug into the fx return, as a backup. And of course I have my tube head which I could take. But that does defeat the purpose a bit.

I'm actually wondering if I wouldn't be better off getting a decent PA speaker like a DXR-10 and using that as a monitor / backline as well as plugging into the house PA...

...or I could just pick up another Magnum as a backup...or the Mooer version (baby bomb?).
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    What about the quilter one? 
    edited July 2018
    The thing about the magnum is it colours the sound (in a good way) if you like the sound of that then a flatter power amp or PA speaker might not sound as good, so try before you buy.  I gigged a magnum 44 with an AMT pre-amp for years and it never let me down, so don't be too scared by the small number of reports of failures