Should I sell my LP?

What's Hot

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11495
    tFB Trader
    Jackobean said:
    If discomfort is the main issue, you could always look into an Axcess or a Feline. They solve some of the Les Paul's bigger ergonomic problems. 
    The all access neck joint
    Weight tailored to somewhere between 7.5lbs to 9.5lbs
    Option of a ribcage cut if requested
    Lots of choices of elecs and hardware whether vintage themed or updated /modern choices

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
    PRS
    I have one...which is why I tend not to pick up the LP :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    dazzajl said:
    I find myself wanting a Les Paul at the moment. I’m pretty sure if I get one it’ll follow an old pattern. There will be a honeymoon when I’m totally in love with it. Then it’ll get played less, eventually hardly at all and then I’ll sell it. Mostly likely at a loss. 

Some years will pass, another will turn my head and I’ll truly believe it’ll be different this time. 
    This beautifully sums up my LP experience since I bought my first in 1981. 

As I’ve said in other threads - I’m trying to simplify life and own nothing I don’t really need. I’d sell it....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Would you get more for it now than you would in 5 years? I would guess it'll stay worth what it is now so you could always keep it for now in case you decide to play it more in the future?

I think the only point of selling really would be if it would lose value over time or if you need the money.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1699
    Yeah, I'd just be selling it for cash - I don't really need another guitar.

Cant believe I have just read this .Is the FB or Bankers weekly ?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    rossi said:
     Bankers weekly ?
    This week’s guest publication?
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    @gearaddict. ;  Ignore the jokes and go your own way. If you don't play it then  it really is a decision you have to make.

Best wishes.
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    Some very flippant posts here. You have multiple guitars and don't ned to sell ? See it as a library, you never know when you might want to pick up that book again, if only for reference.That's a privilege not to be relinquished easily. I have 50  plus guitars, tour and record for a living, certainly don't use them all, but come back to guitars I haven't played for ages to find that I'm getting something different out due to what Ive learned playing something else. Not sure if that makes sense to you , but never sell a guitar your not sure about just for the cash. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    Keep it if you don't need to sell.

I was seriously thinking of selling my LP because I had got seriously into Strats but the other day I got out the Gibson when I felt a bit Santana-ish and after half an hour thought, "cor, this is a bit of all right!".

Glad I kept it and probably so will you.  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah, I broached the subject with the missus again and I think if I did sell it I would also have to fund a divorce so that kind of settles that question. :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    munckee said:
    Sell it and put the money aside in a geetar fund so you don't waste it on furniture or holidays, then you will know you got something you really do like.  There must be something giving you a little gas, new amp maybe? jazzmaster?....
    I think this is why my wife won't let me sell it :) She thinks I'll sell "a beautiful guitar" and buy "a pile of useless tat"

I don't like Jazzmasters either, but "pile of useless tat" is really a bit harsh! I understand those Mastery wotsits make them quite usable these days...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    let's see a pic before we all make the decision for you!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Does she play it then?

I'd expect things to be the other way round lol. Why is she do adamant you keep a guitar?
    edited July 2018
    Not sure if this will work but hopefully this is a picture of the LP in question:

thegummy said:
    Yeah, I broached the subject with the missus again and I think if I did sell it I would also have to fund a divorce so that kind of settles that question. :)
    Does she play it then?

I'd expect things to be the other way round lol. Why is she do adamant you keep a guitar?
    Well, she's knows me and is familiar with the GAS merry-go-round. She probably thinks in 6 months I will be on the hunt for another LP. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EdPhelanEdPhelan Frets: 6
    I would definitely keep it, my father had a Les Paul Black Beauty that he traded in for a Telecaster about 20 years and he still goes on about it now!
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4287

If you don't play it, and don't plan to, sell it.

It's not a guitar anymore, it becomes a door stop.

If you don't need the money, and you think you will play it in the future, keep it.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    edited July 2018
    Slightly confused here. Apart from my Telecaster which was a birthday pressie from Mrs9000, I'll buy and sell as I please. Did MrsGearaddict buy the Les Paul for you? Or is there some sentimental value such as it was bought with an inheritance? If it just sits in its case I'd be moving it on.

(If I ever sold the Telecaster I'd probably be celibate for the next six months.)
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    HAL9000 said:
    Slightly confused here. Apart from my Telecaster which was a birthday pressie from Mrs9000, I'll buy and sell as I please. Did MrsGearaddict buy the Les Paul for you? Or is there some sentimental value such as it was bought with an inheritance?
    No, I'm just scared of her. She's German.
    5reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom