GSP1101 Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    A wee powered pa speaker may be just ticket. 

If i was going for  a 1u amp reckon I'd go padded rack case as they aren't heavy and have a shoulder strap and padded gator shoulder case is just right size for control2, almost made to measure.  Do like idea of 1u myself but powered monitor may be easier to drag if needed and sound will be very close to what's heard out front.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
    Just playing around tonight - I set the GSP up in 4CM with my TH-30. Sounds really good. The GSP pre-amps really hold their own. Some of them I actually prefer to the tube pre-amp. Very impressed. It's quite cool being able to use patch leads for the 4CM rather than having miles of cable all over the place - the joys of rack gear :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2018
    Yeah and one simple cat 5 out to stage.  I do like the neatness of 4 cable (or slot in a rack pre) and yeah the internal preamps are great.  As i said a few times a fair few 5150 owners choose model over real preamp and some even sold the 5150 the model was so good., And its cool being able to say use own pre for usual stuff bit dip in to other sounds without feeling let down or something is missing.

hence my thinking of getting a beat up amp 1x12 that's large enough to adjust cabinet to house a gsp as well.  Kinda like my own home brew grab and go for practices, jams and travel lighter.  Like a lot of people are using Katanas for at moment.  It may end up being a L5 converted to a modern light driver 1x12 (as the L3 isn't wide enough and isn't two channel or 100% same as L5/L7 but as a 1x12 with light neodium driver capable of taking the 100w will actually not be silly heavy and would be plenty loud for even a gig).  Plus i keep the high quality optical compressor of amp right at end of chain if I want to dial in a little replication of valve power tube compression.  It may end up being a diff amp but that's plan at moment.  I'll bet that would be close to ultimate all in one jam setup for sound and will knock any aw other off shelf similar idea into last century.

And as well as distortion pedals you can bump preloop volume and drop after or vice versa to give your real amps preamp more or less drive as well on a preset basis or even via a stomp.  If you have a non master amp with loop you can use this trick to get a cranked tone at a lower volume too.

Odd presets can work well through amps clean preamp so if get odd one that's lacking something experiment turning on amps preamp clean but leave modelled amp on as well.  Can sometimes just add a little life and sparkle and give it something slightly different.

lastly something like Nux pms-2 will allow you to set it up to switch amp channels for you as well.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Set it up in 4CM with my Micro Dark today for a bit of a laugh. :) Two things - firstly, it works pretty well as a power amp and secondly, the GSP pre-amps are much better than the (valve) dark terror pre-amp. Sooooo much better. :)

Also, the GSP sounds completely monster using my TH-30 as a power amp. I'd really like to try something like the Matrix GT1000fx to see how good it really is. Not sure if a cheap power amp like the Harley Benton GPA-400 is going to make my juices flow.
    Ok left field @gearaddict ultimate (if not going guitar amp and keeping it more frfr) how's about get hold of an old cheap valve PA amp.  Saw one on one of my local groups for £70 recently.  Something like 200w all valve iirc.  I reckon PA valve power amps are a brilliant partner for a modeller either into a guitar cab or a passive pa speaker/passive monitor wedge or something like that.
    Yeah - I've heard that but how does that work? They don't have guitar inputs or speaker outputs...I'd be worried I'd explode something  =)
    edited July 2018
    Of course they have speaker outputs... How do ya think it gets sound to speaker and doesn't need a guitar input as the pre amp out/power amp input on most amps will be line level not guitar level (as in the 1/4" output from gsp will be line level) so yes it works and it works seriously well... In fact sure i have seen @ICBM recommend this as a very good route too.  Maybe not valve pa specifically but old cheap pa amps as great for modelling.
    edited July 2018
    And remember the 1/4" outs can be configured for different output levels to match what line level signal (newer +4 or older -10db line level) power amp is expecting.  It can have speaker modelling on and the output jacks will handle TR (single ended connections) or TRS (balanced).  leaving xlr's free for PA still.
    LOLs - yeah, I'll keep an eye out. Might be an interesting experiment.  =)
    LOLs - yeah, I'll keep an eye out. Might be an interesting experiment.  =)

I was very close to pulling trigger on the old valve pa amp... Other option is any quality rack pa amp.  I love palmer LX series he uses they are more like a scaled up hi-fi amp (but smallest is 2u).   My PA setup has a palmer LX 800 and LX 1400 in it but the smallest LX500 would be ideal.  studio rack amps are also a HQ option.

The valve PA amp imho or PA amps are good cos they aren't gonna colour the sound to its own sound like guitar based amps will do.  It's designed to amplify a full range signal.  Valve ones will likely just add a bit of warmth thay works well.  But if wanna be lighter a good qual 1u pa amp with 1/4" and XLR ins would be just ticket and s/h plenty out there under budget and a lot more capable than cheap amps these days.  Although they weigh more I'd aim for older non digital amps with good power supplies.
    edited July 2018
    So I did a bit of a comparison between my TH-30 power stage and the Magnum...and the Magnum is pretty damn close. It certainly punches above its weight. If I could find a not-too-heavy 1U alternative that was as good or better then that would be cool...but the Magnum certainly does the job. Shame the build quality is suspect.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    So I did a bit of a comparison between my TH-30 power stage and the Magnum...and the Magnum is pretty damn close. It certainly punches above its weight. If I could find a not-too-heavy 1U alternative that was as good or better then that would be cool...but the Magnum certainly does the job. Shame the build quality is suspect.
    As I've said before, I gigged the Magnum 44 for well over a year 2-3 times a week and it never let me down.  There are probably a handful or reports of them failing and they must have sold 1000's.  They are cheap enough to get a backup,  Get on from Thomann with a 3 year guarantee, you could even go stereo :)
    Surely a palmer 1u would do very nicely.
    If you want it clean and not to sound like a guitar amp but an exact representation of what modeller is producing then any good quality 1u pa amp would be the choice.
    John_A said:
    As I've said before, I gigged the Magnum 44 for well over a year 2-3 times a week and it never let me down.  There are probably a handful or reports of them failing and they must have sold 1000's.  They are cheap enough to get a backup,  Get on from Thomann with a 3 year guarantee, you could even go stereo :)
    Yeah, that's probably not a bad plan. I'll maybe keep an eye out for deals on the Magnum and pick up a spare. 
    I was just playing around with the 8" PA speaker my son uses for his drums (it's a db hype) - I just wanted to try and dial the sound in a bit so I have some idea what I'm going to get when I go to practice. It sounded very muffled compared to the sound I am getting from the power amp > cab. When I switch off the LPF then it really lifts the blanket but then there's a bit too much top end. I found an IR that works pretty well but I was wondering if there is any way of changing the settings on the LPF to make it a bit less extreme? I don't think so but I thought I'd check...
    Don't think its a changeable one... And wait till ya hear it on a big PA speaker at volume before ya decide if lpf is too much...

Sounds great on PA's I've use.  What you can potentially use here though is the very handy 7 band global eq possibly as it's meant specifically to quickly tune rig when you are in a diff venue with diff acoustics and equipment.

Use the eq a lot and get used to what/where in sound each slider effects things so can quickly tweak sound if not quite right when your getting set up.

also make sure the gsp out put and active monitor are well matched.  ie if your outputting mic level via xlr and not line level and your turning up the monitor high to hear it the mismatch csn really effect sound.  

Makes sure you have correct line level too so not overloading input.  +4 or -10 depending on if its more modern equipment (usually +4) or older (often -10).

This thing just sounds monster  =)

Just saying.

Such a cool bit of kit. Every home should have one. I just sold my HD500X for more than it cost me to buy the GSP and controller. Mental. It is soooo much better.

Happy. =)
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    What amuses me with modeling things, and has done this week as I've set up my four presets on the GSP is the bizarre combinations of amps you use to get the sounds you want, that you'd never ina million years consider lining up on stage. For example my presets use:

Clean - Jazz Chorus
    Drive - boosted Hiwatt (never heard one before but sounds great)
    Fuzz - using a Mesa Triple Rec instead of a big muff.

Mental
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic