The photography thread

What's Hot

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    edited July 2018
    Cool. I used their anamorphic adapter and found it unusably soft but heard nothing but great things about their recent APO cine primes. 

I currently have a hodge podge of new and old - Some Sigma Cine Primes - some modded Contax Zeiss and bit of the old russian stuff for texture. Probably going to sell up some stuff and get a simple modern set and a lovely vintage set again like i used to have. In the past I had lenses like people on here have pedals. Trying to keep it to a core of what I need for work these days. 

EDIT: A pal of mine's thread on his findings with his APO Hyperprimes - http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?163366-SLR-Magic-APO-HyperPrime-mini-review
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    Can you guys suggest any decent Canon fit "do it all" lenses that will give similar range (or a bit longer) and quality to the Canon 24-105 f/4L?  Already have one of them and the range is really useful - do a lot of festivals both stills and video where I dont want to carry multiple lenses or bodies though I will take the 70-200 for bigger stages. Sometimes a 2nd photographer comes with me so I want something he can use that will give the same kinda quality and range, and that I can also use on a 2nd camera for video shoots. Don't think budget stretches to another Canon L series unfortunately!
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11811
    TTBZ said:
    Can you guys suggest any decent Canon fit "do it all" lenses that will give similar range (or a bit longer) and quality to the Canon 24-105 f/4L?  Already have one of them and the range is really useful - do a lot of festivals both stills and video where I dont want to carry multiple lenses or bodies though I will take the 70-200 for bigger stages. Sometimes a 2nd photographer comes with me so I want something he can use that will give the same kinda quality and range, and that I can also use on a 2nd camera for video shoots. Don't think budget stretches to another Canon L series unfortunately!
    the more range you cover with 1 lens, the lesser quality you get.

So you can get another 24-105 if you are happy with that or get a 24-70 for for lesser range but higher quality.

I mean you can get a Sigma 50-500….but that is kinda ridiculous 
    edited July 2018

RiftAmps said:
    soma1975 said:

RiftAmps said:
    soma1975 said:

Tried everything but for a vintage lens lover the Sonys are king in my opinion. 
    Completely with you there, the easy of adaption to Sony Mirrorless is mind blowing.

I don’t own any AF lenses anymore, just Cine primes and vintage stuff. 
    Ooh what Cine primes are you shooting with?
    SLR Magic 18mm, 35mm, 50mm, and 75mm - I did the whole Canon/XEEN/Samyang/Zeiss thing but for absolute bang-for-buck the SLR Magic stuff is incredible so ended up there. I'll upgrade slowly to their new Microprime range once they hit the shops.

I actually use the Cine primes mostly for stills, such a great look

Saw your post and I looked into this SLR Magic stuff….first impression are good, like very cheap for what apparently small and very fast lenses then I saw this blog.

https://alikgriffin.com/worst-lens-company/
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    I'm absolutely blown away by every single one of the photos on this thread so far. My own skills are non existent, in fact I'm so bad I don't even own a Camera. I make do with my Phones Camera when I need to. I've been promising myself a DSLR for ages now, as I'm always gobsmacked with some of the wonderful photos people can muster, but as of yet haven't got round to it.

Will be following this thread with much enjoyment.

edited July 2018
    TTBZ said:
    the more range you cover with 1 lens, the lesser quality you get.

So you can get another 24-105 if you are happy with that or get a 24-70 for for lesser range but higher quality.

I mean you can get a Sigma 50-500….but that is kinda ridiculous 
    Yeah I was thinking the 24-70 could be worth the investment, at least I won't have duplicate lenses and I think it's a bit faster too so better for the dingy dark gigs!

Edit - although possibly not at L series prices! Are any of the cheaper brands (tamron etc) comparable?
    MikeS said:
    I'm absolutely blown away by every single one of the photos on this thread so far. My own skills are non existent, in fact I'm so bad I don't even own a Camera. I make do with my Phones Camera when I need to. I've been promising myself a DSLR for ages now, as I'm always gobsmacked with some of the wonderful photos people can muster, but as of yet haven't got round to it.

Will be following this thread with much enjoyment.
    You don't need an SLR to take good photos, I spent years taking and having fun on a Canon compact, I learn timing, composition, all the settings on it.  At that point the camera was holding me back so when i got an DSLR I was kinda unlocking my own potential, but the key is to move up with your skills and modern compacts now are VERY VERY good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    Given the amount of time I've been doing it, my photography, much like my guitar playing, should be better than it is.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/unorthodoxic/

It's an eclectic mix from puppies and parkour to muscly women and burnt out cars in the local woodland.
    Rob, don't put yourself down! Your Flickr has some great photos on!
    (and I'm jealous of you getting to photograph The Staves too, they're great)
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    the 24-105 F4L is already really cheap for what it is. I don;t think there's really a cheaper alternative aside from the Sigma
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    tFB Trader

Saw your post and I looked into this SLR Magic stuff….first impression are good, like very cheap for what apparently small and very fast lenses then I saw this blog.

https://alikgriffin.com/worst-lens-company/ ;
    I have to admit I was concerned at first but I've not come across a duff one yet, and I've used quite a few now. I guess like all startups they had teething problems but things seem to be great now. The 35mm f1.2 is the best of the bunch.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    As I want to get into landscape photography I've been looking for a suitable lens, would the    Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM be suitable for a beginner? It states that it is a wide angle lens, is that what I'll be needing?
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    edited July 2018
    zepp76 said:
    As I want to get into landscape photography I've been looking for a suitable lens, would the    Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM be suitable for a beginner? It states that it is a wide angle lens, is that what I'll be needing?
    Actually, I know the instinctive thing is to get a wide angle for landscape, I would actually go for a telephoto….

Watch some of his videos, he seems to shoot more on his 70-200 as he does on a wide angle.

https://www.youtube.com/user/bvans890

and also watch some of these 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfhW84xfA6gEc4hDK90rR1Q/videos

edited July 2018
    Here are some old photos I took years ago with my old Powershot s95, not up to the standard of others here though! The BMX one is one of my favourites despite having probably taken technically way better ones since - I just wish the building was a bit to the left so it all lined up nicely! Don't have any recent stuff to hand that I'm allowed to post 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/toddersby/6043356289/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/toddersby/7382766102/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/toddersby/6101405129/in/dateposted-public/

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Can some of you knowledgeable people please advise on techniques and equipment needed i.e filters etc for low light shooting and also for bright winter sunshine? I'm especially interested in taking photos of winter landscapes and wildlife. Thank you.

You might want some ND filters for bright sunshine, possibly graduated so you're not blowing out the sky on a bright day etc.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    Some great stuff in here so far. I'm a Fuji guy - mostly travel oriented, trying to go to at least 3 interesting new places per year. Each trip I try and make myself learn *something* new photography-wise.

Sunset in Vik

Eagle

List of Kings

Selfie Time

Focus

Whale Watching

Also seeking out cats at all opportunities....

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    zepp76 said:
    Can some of you knowledgeable people please advise on techniques and equipment needed i.e filters etc for low light shooting and also for bright winter sunshine? I'm especially interested in taking photos of winter landscapes and wildlife. Thank you.

You need a tripod for low light shooting and some ND filters if you want some contrast and better balance of sky and foreground.  a 6 stop ND and a 4 stop graduated ND and perhaps a polariser. 

Start with a Lee Starter kit for the mount and get the correct adaptor rings for your lenses.
  • UnorthodoxUnorthodox Frets: 395
    BigMonka said:
    Rob, don't put yourself down! Your Flickr has some great photos on!
    (and I'm jealous of you getting to photograph The Staves too, they're great)
    I just live by the adagethrow enough mud at the wall, some of it will stick!

The Staves were great, that was the first time I'd heard of them that night and instantly I was hooked. Still have the Facing West EP I bought from that performance, with what I think is a better version of Mexico.
  • I don't carry filters unless I'm shooting film.

If I have a blown out sky on a landscape, I just merge exposures. Hdr doesn't need to mean that sickly, processed look - and most cameras have a bracketing facility. I'll shoot 3 photos across 9 stops. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    zepp76 said:
    I've ordered the lens, I couldn't not as it was a great deal! I went to slr hut where I bought the camera and saw that the lens was the cheapest on the net and then to top it off there was a £20 off offer on all orders so it was only £185 all in, not bad at all. I've also ordered a polariser and I am looking for a reasonably priced nd filter. I think that's it for spending for now, now I just need the free time to get out and start taking photos.