SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB - Fishing Tackle

What's Hot
I'm looking to get a small kit to start me and the young lad off into the wonderful world of fishing.

I had a ton of stuff but gave it away years ago (before kids were on the horizon) as I had gave up and wanted to get someone else started.

I'm after a basic float setup that can be added to as time goes on. So mainly a rod and reel, landing net etc at the minute.

Age is not important as long as its servicable for a while.

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    Funnily enough, I'm after the same. 

I used to fish years ago ago and had some nice kit but ended up selling it all when I was in my early twenties.  
    Me and my youngest went on a 'intro to fishing' thing a few months ago and it was bloody brilliantl - just a basic pole and float set up but junior was sold on the idea.  

Im wondering if those Argos complete kits are any good?
  • I've been told by a bloke at work that there is currently a kit in Aldi that isn't half bad.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    Generally speaking, the kits are crap and not worth bothering with.

If you know what you're doing, you can pickup good kit relatively cheaply s/h. If not, your best bet is to pop into your local tackle shop and they'll kit you out with something suitable.

R.
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1844
    edited July 2018
    eBay or Gumtree I'd say.

The fladen gear is usually excellent beginner gear and like guitars, the cheaper stuff now is so much better than the beginner stuff of 30 years ago, abu Shakespeare and daiwa all make great budget stuff
    Chapmans angling has some good stuff for not a lot of money.... Shakespeare 12ft float rods for £15.... Shimano reels for about the same.... definitely worth a look.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4941
    No matter where you buy your pole, you will end up with a lot of kit. Nets, seat, umbrella, bait boxes, waterproofs, rod stands etc etc. Kinda like guitars in a way, how long before you 'find' that you need a second or a third pole? And the associated rod stands. Etc.

You may be wondering how I know this.......
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    Have a look on FishingMagic or Maggotdrowners forum, they both have classified sections with plenty of good bargains up for grabs.
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1844
    Rocker said:
    No matter where you buy your pole, you will end up with a lot of kit. Nets, seat, umbrella, bait boxes, waterproofs, rod stands etc etc. Kinda like guitars in a way, how long before you 'find' that you need a second or a third pole? And the associated rod stands. Etc.

You may be wondering how I know this.......
    Unless you live north of the M4 you SHOULD NOT buy a pole
  • Pro tip:lure fishing  

Don't get me wrong, it can get pricey, but it doesn't need to and lures are reusable. Learn to tie K2K titanium wire, spend £30 on lures and jig heads from AGM discount and I'll pass you an ultralight rod perfect for luring for perch and small chub/pike for nothing if you're local to cambridgeshire  
  • Pro tip:lure fishing  

Don't get me wrong, it can get pricey, but it doesn't need to and lures are reusable. Learn to tie K2K titanium wire, spend £30 on lures and jig heads from AGM discount and I'll pass you an ultralight rod perfect for luring for perch and small chub/pike for nothing if you're local to cambridgeshire  
    Very generous of you but I'm a good way from Cambridgeshire.

Thanks again for your generosity.

edited July 2018
    It's worth paying a visit to your local tackle shop to get set up. 

Ive just spent approx £100 on two rods, reels and some hooks, floats, shot etc.  It was more expensive than buying online but the level of advice and expertise from the guy in the shop was worth paying the extra for.  Our first outing is on Tuesday, so I'll be going back to the shop for a couple of pints of maggots on Monday evening. 

The pricey bit is the rod licence and then the cost of tickets for the places where you can fish - there doesn't seem to be anywhere in Hants that's free. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    RobDavies said:
    It's worth paying a visit to your local tackle shop to get set up. 

Ive just spent approx £100 on two rods, reels and some hooks, floats, shot etc.  It was more expensive than buying online but the level of advice and expertise from the guy in the shop was worth paying the extra for.  Our first outing is on Tuesday, so I'll be going back to the shop for a couple of pints of maggots on Monday evening. 

The pricey bit is the rod licence and then the cost of tickets for the places where you can fish - there doesn't seem to be anywhere in Hants that's free. 
    You should be able to join a club which will mean you don't have to buy day tickets. I'm too far away to be able to suggest a local club, but the shop may be able to help, or you may see signs on the bank with the name of the club that has fishing rights.

R.