Eric Johnson

What's Hot
ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
At about 7.50 in the vid - is that just him improvising or an actual song he's done in the past?

If its a song he's done, is there an album with similar stuff?

I'm new to him. Listened to Cliffs of Dover, which is great, and I don't usually like all the dancing around the fretboard malarky. Youtubed him some more and was unimpressed until I came upon the clip below.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That’s “Song for George” from the album Ah Via Musicom (he usually plays it on acoustic)
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    Is there a studio electric version?
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    I'm only aware of the acoustic version from Ah Via Musicom. If I recall correctly it is in double drop D tuning.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Zoolooter said:

I'm new to him. Listened to Cliffs of Dover, which is great, and I don't usually like all the dancing around the fretboard malarky. Youtubed him some more and was unimpressed...

Eric Johnson is the most frustrating artist IMO. Cliffs of Dover floored my when I heard it back in the day and he became a huge influence. You can here him in so many other artists too. But his output is largely terrible. 

Do try Trademark though, nice track and gorgeous solo - I would post the video but it’s so cheesy it distracts from t(e music.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1967
    edited August 2018
    This was my introduction to Eric Johnson. A very Jeff Beck like style. Impressive solo at 2'20".

I went off him when I learned about his preference for a particular brand of PP3 battery.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7831
    edited August 2018
    Try in this order:
    Alien Love Child - has the best tunes, (boogie king could rock a bikers bar) great blues rock and Bad Ass tone.
    Ah via Musicom - is the most representative of his output, Desert Rose is IMO the best guitar playing he's ever done. East Wes is a nice tune to learn. 
    Venus Isle - has some brilliant solos (title track is as flawless as can be, epic)but vocal songs are schmaltzy.
    Tones - best "songs" and some nice guitaring too. 
    the stuff after this I never got into.
  • If you like Song for George, check out “Once upon a time in Texas” 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24490
    Two guitarists have always blown me away with their fingerboard dexterity....  Eric is one,  Albert is the other...

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom