5th Birthday Jam and Gig Reaction, Photos and Videos

What's Hot

Comments

• I've read everyone's comments so far, and I'll join the hippy love-in and add mine...

What an absolutely amazing weekend. You all need to give yourselves a massive pat on the back. Every single person engaged, had a go, and got involved. There were some real characters, and some stunning performances. I am genuinely impressed with the attitude and talent I saw over the 2 days.

In my experience any event along these lines can be too intense, too cliquey (?), to intimidating, lots of egos on display and a bit of a let down. This event was none of those things, I saw nothing but sincere encouragement and support all round. 

I'm thrilled by all the nice things people have said about my little studio. I love the place and it's so cool to hear that other people do too. 

My highlights:
    -Ed. Just Ed. His have-a-go attitude was truly inspiring. His vocals on paranoid and Ace of Spades will be forever remembered with a smile :)
    -Alnico's infectious enthusiasm and determination to nail the solo in Comfortably Numb. And he did.
    -The gig. The whole atmosphere was fantastic. Last weekend I played at a festival in front of several thousand people, and I enjoyed the Fretboard gig at a bloody bowling club in Huddersfield just as much.

My lowlights:
    -My studio computer deciding to give up towards the end of Sunday. Huge apologies to those few remaining folk who missed out recording the last couple of songs. 
    -Breaking my aviator shades so I couldn't wear them while playing Danger Zone. Which was brilliant.

I'm honestly looking forward to the next one whenever that may be. You are all very welcome to come and do the whole thing again in my humble establishment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbomb said:
    aye, there's the rub. worth the journey from Surrey IMO, for those that can. Bob's is an easy place to relax, convenience shop and chippie across the road, pub down the way a bit. all on 1 level, not cramped.
    Plus it has a @Sasquatch_Bob ...and they broke the mould after making that one
    Thank god, one's more than enough hahaha
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Thinking back to the January Jam in Bob's i'm not sure i can really compare it. This was that and so much more.

For me, actually having time to have a chat with people and get to know them a bit made all the difference. 

Late night hotel session with @modellista @sticker & @Phil_aka_Pip was particularly nice, just to get to know them better - even better when @alnico & Audrey and @CustomPedalBoards (who was pishedd and got left behind) turned up briefly.. still not sure how/why they came to the hotel that was completely out of the way for them.. Pretty sure we put the world to rights. :) 

The whole Saturday was so relaxed.. plenty of chance to play everything, guitar, bass, drums.. might even make some noises into the mic next time.. 

With the studio recordings it seemed we shot through them.. the less regimented, less organised freestyle way, to me, really seemed to work. Not sure if @Legionreturns or @Bridgehouse can remember last time - how did the speed or recordings / changeover between songs compare? How many did we get through each time?

The Sunday was great too.. think there were a few sore heads.. so a lot more sitting and quiet chatting/playing with gear.
    Except when Rockin in the free world jam started - genius suggestion @pmbomb :)

My personal favourite bit of gear form the weekend was @sticker 's John 5 Tele. 

Saying that was a pleasure to meet all of you (again). 

Cheers :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    @LuttiS - we actually recorded about the same number on Saturday as we did last time!!
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    @Snags  ;regarding researching gig venue options in other towns - my RockProject group just used a local pub (which has a basic stage and PA due to open mic nights) for this. the pub were happy with the extra drinks sales, no money changed hands between them and RockProject AFAIK. it's a music friendly pub and was open to the public.
  • Good to see you all had fun. It was my daughter's birthday party (which is V. important when you're 6) this weekend so couldn't make it. I hope I can make the next one.
  • I'm a bit disappointed. 

I took my YBTB rig, expecting to instantly generate 20 good leads for new contracts, but all I got was a drunk welshman slurring abusive lyrics to a Bob Marley tune 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'm a bit disappointed. 

I took my YBTB rig, expecting to instantly generate 20 good leads for new contracts, but all I got was a drunk welshman slurring abusive lyrics to a Bob Marley tune 
    You woman. You cry.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm a bit disappointed. 

You woman. You cry.
    Your slogan would fit better on a t shirt than mine. 

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6635
    edited August 2018

SUNDAY IMPROMPTU STUDIO JAM - Rocking in the free world -

Drums = @modellista - FIRST TIME ON AN ACOUSTIC KIT!! Superb!

Bass = @mctoot

Guitar Solo = @pmbomb

Guitar Rhythm (and key nods to keep song structure on track) = @luttis ;;;

Vocals (Neil Young style) = me

First run through - recorded from the back of the room

Second run through - recorded from the back of the room

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

SUNDAY STUDIO JAM - While my Guitar Gently Weeps -

Drums = me

Bass = @phil_aka_Pip

Guitar Solo and vocals = @vasselmeyer

Guitar Acoustic = @sticker

Guitar Rhythm ??? - who did I miss?

Second run through - recorded from the back of the room

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1

SUNDAY STUDIO JAM - Come Together -

Drums = @modellista

Bass = @bridgehouse

Guitar Solo and vocals = me

Guitar Rhythm (first take) = @darthed1981

First take - Power Foursome

Second take - Power Trio

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11669
    I have tried to write a post a few times saying how I feel about the weekend, I'm so grateful to everyone for the amazing time, for the kind words and the gig was the most fun I've had in years.

Will be a lifelong memory for me as my first gig, and I'm honoured to have been able to break my duck with such a pleasant and exceptionally talented and supportive group of musicians, and to have spent the weekend in a really nice town in Bob's fantastic studios.

Whatever it is about rock and roll that has captured imaginations for sixty odd years, I think this weekend got us all there.

Thanks so much all, was just brilliant! :)

Will try and make it a mission to not miss a TFB jam!
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    mrkb said:

SUNDAY STUDIO JAM - While my Guitar Gently Weeps -

Drums = me

Bass = @phil_aka_Pip

Guitar Solo and vocals = @vasselmeyer

Guitar Acoustic = @sticker

Guitar Rhythm ??? - who did I miss?

Second run through - recorded from the back of the room

The other electric guitar on this was @richardhomer on his lovely PRS DGT.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Having watched and listened to you lot all weekend, I've redoubled my physio efforts to get my hand working in time for the next one. 

I've also ordered one of these...

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039

Whatever it is about rock and roll that has captured imaginations for sixty odd years, I think this weekend got us all there.
    You've hit the nail on the head there.  For all the variety of chaps we had along, our one common feature was a passion for a decent rock out (and acoustic-out, but, you know, that doesn't sound as good).  Three chords and the truth.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2018
    There’s a few rock fans in a German old people’s home we could play for next time! I’m sure there’s a willing audience of old rockers out there !

German pensioners break free from retirement home to attend heavy metal festival - The Telegraph

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/08/06/german-pensioners-break-free-retirement-home-attend-heavy-metal/
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • The bowling club just put this up on their Facebook page

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The bowling club just put this up on their Facebook page

I’ll do a numbered version later for tagging
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169