Dingwall 4/5 string

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Yeah very nice looking instrument. Will look forward to reading your thread when you’ve had a go on it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks mate, and again, appreciate you help! Will post my thoughts! :-)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Has it arrived yet?
  • Has it arrived yet?
    It has indeed, mate!!! I love it. Sounds completely different to any other bass I've tried...all my previous bass experience has been on really cheap instruments and this one just blows them away. It's got a really nice midrange to it hasn't it!

So happy with it. The fret finishing and rolled edges on the neck just make it so comfortable to play.

I'm in the process of writing up a review (as best I can with my limited bass experience), once I do, I'll do a NBD thread! :-)

• Yeah the fretwork is fantastic on mine.  I love the tone, I can't remember if I mentioned but I initially bought a P-Tone as my 3rd pickup... it's cool but I honestly preferred the stock pickups so I eventually bought another stock pickup to replace it and go 3x stock. 
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3474
    edited October 2019

The only small issue I had was I didn’t like the edges on the saddles, they were a little square for my tastes. I rounded them off with a file and sanded them up to a high grit. You basically can’t see I’ve done it unless you look super close.

It’s possible mine wasn’t typical on that front because I don’t see complaints from others, but either way it didn’t take long to fix and I didn’t want to return it because it’s otherwise totally killer. I guess I could’ve contacted support but it’s a non issue now 
    @guitarfishbay I know this is old now, but is there a fix for this issue? With this saddle issue, my hand is beginning to hurt a bit now I'm getting proper stuck in daily on the bass. Do you know of any 3rd party saddles that are smoother? Surely we can't be the only one's with this issue?

• I just used a file to round off the sharp edges and haven’t worried about it since.

I don’t think there’s a direct replacement currently. Some people have swapped to other bridges/saddles in the owners FB group/other forums but any time I’ve seen that there have been mounting holes visible somewhere.
  • Thank you, @guitarfishbay, appreciate that. Find it weird that Dingwall haven't done anything about it. Looks like I'll need to get the file out, it's only the one I'll need to bother about anyway (which will look weird!)!

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24568
    Contact Sheldon on facebook. He might even have a newer unit to send.

All this Dingwall talk is making me miss my ABZ5.

Although it has to be said I find the neck of the 5 strings a little wide for me as I'm used to a Stingray 5. That 1mm makes a surprising amount of difference.
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3474
    edited October 2019
    Thanks @fretmeister I'll look into it.

Took some nice photo's this morning...

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24568
    Maybe I'll look at a 4 string and tune it BEAD
  • That's what @guitarfishbay said he does. Mine is lush, I love it! One of the best purchases I've ever made...and I've gone through some gear, to say the very least.

• Yeah I tune my 4 down to B.

I actually found the 34-47" fans a bit uncomfortable to play in the lowest position when I tried them, however the Super P/J scale of 32-35" is very nice.  If I ever had a high budget to spend on a 5 string I'd be very tempted to get one.