Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Sasquatch Jam (Feb 16/17th 2019) Songlist Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    right i'm not interested in doing any of the songs already done, why do them again we've done them already, partly why i did a fair bit on the 1st jam but hardly any on the 2nd cause the list was pretty much the same (to me) 
    if theres some black crows and allman bros, remedy, soulshine - count me in! love all that stuff.

my taste in music is to varied to just encapsulate it in 3 songs, i know thats kinda not what its about but i find it very hard just picking 3 songs. i also like the challenge of learning new stuff. so am not fussed and will appear on any song if its a got beat (wheres me cardigan) wheres the zeppelin, dc, hendrix etc
    3  songs mmmm its a toughy, as come feb i might want to do something else, i only like practising them just before to keep it fresh, not half a yr before! but i'd like to give these a go:

Summer breeze - seals and crofts (1 of the vox and lead guitar / poss ac guit) 
    i'm thinking S&C's structure but then tab the ernie isley solo on the end, if that dont work out just keep it as the original.

Any colour you like - pink floyd - (lead guitar) we will also need an organ for this, and rather than the original, this nice live version for a change, as no synth solo: 

Oh josephine - black crows (vox & RR guitar) 
    lots of instrumentation on this 1. will be a nice challenge i reckon.

so there you go, you asked.
    Bit o Welsh wisdom there. I agree good idea to perhaps have a completely fresh song list? Sure comfy is great for example but I'm pretty sure Pink Floyd did more than one song? 

And helps cut down the massive list ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    LuttiS said:
    right i'm not interested in doing any of the songs already done, why do them again we've done them already, 

Bit o Welsh wisdom there. I agree good idea to perhaps have a completely fresh song list? Sure comfy is great for example but I'm pretty sure Pink Floyd did more than one song? 

And helps cut down the massive list ;)
    We've tried to keep a balance in the songlists, between stuff that's been done before and new stuff.

Why?

Most of the stuff-done-before is reasonably simple, and has been proven to be easy for the less experienced to learn and play on, and get a good result.  And encouraging the less experienced has been a major part of the objective of doing these sessions.

Accepted, Comfortably Numb seems to have established itself as something that we always do (and is not particularly aimed at the new player).

We then put in some new songs that are usually based on suggestions from those attending ... but having tested them for being  do-able reasonably well (hence the lack of AC/DC due to the vocals challenge despite them being obvious choices for most guitarists).

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    We will never please all of the people all of the time. That’s just life. We will get new songs in every time - but having tried and tested songs lets us ensure we can support new players. 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    Theres 16 (out of 21) new songs in the Quad jam setlist!!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    Theres 16 (out of 21) new songs in the Quad jam setlist!!
    Well there you go ;)
    I get that they are great, easy to learn songs, but there are many many great easy to learn songs, Many many of them have been suggested. 
    And if 75% of songs at quad can be new, that seems a good balance? 
    LuttiS said:
    I get that they are great, easy to learn songs, but there are many many great easy to learn songs, Many many of them have been suggested. 
    We have to strike a balance - and we won't always get it right. Similarly, we can't please everyone. I will have a chat to the organising troop and work out where the balance should be as I seem to get the bigger picture with PM's and so forth. I want to get as many new songs in as possible - and if we aren't quite there yet then we can shuffle and adjust to suit.
    @darthed1981 - could you pop up a quick list (text is fine) of the songs we didn't do at Sasquatch last time (except comfy - I'll come back to this :) ) but are on the list for this one?
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Comfy's not done, it's a work-in-progress I think, from the POV of @Alnico ;. I'm looking forwards to hearing it again.

ps Scorpions Coast to Coast - no singer needed!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    pmbomb said:
    Comfy's not done, it's a work-in-progress I think, from the POV of @Alnico ;. I'm looking forwards to hearing it again.

ps Scorpions Coast to Coast - no singer needed!
    Ooo I used to do blackout :)
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Hard to beat classic Scorps. And that album.
    LuttiS said:
    We have to strike a balance - and we won't always get it right. Similarly, we can't please everyone. I will have a chat to the organising troop and work out where the balance should be as I seem to get the bigger picture with PM's and so forth. I want to get as many new songs in as possible - and if we aren't quite there yet then we can shuffle and adjust to suit.
    I get that, just my 2¢.
    Happy with whatever comes out! Colour me enthusiastic :)
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    @LuttiS I reckon me and you doing Paradise City with @thomasross20 will be challenging enough!
  • Just putting it out there, whether it makes the final studio list or not, I'll be haranguing people into a live performance of Girl from Mars at the gig ;) 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Snags said:
    @fandango to give @darthed1981 a chance to pull something together, how about picking one of Kings of Speed or Urban Guerilla?  The former is probably one of the easier to do without synth/horns, the latter has a more interesting vocal.
    Let’s have Kings of Speed, please.

• I'm gonna try and get a webcam.. so can show you guys what parts I was thinking of doing (basically Slash's parts if ok!)
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    I'm gonna try and get a webcam.. so can show you guys what parts I was thinking of doing (basically Slash's parts if ok!)
    I’ve a spare webcam. Barely used. Pm me and i could chuck* in post tomorrow.

* i mean post
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    We have a rather-too-long longlist to narrow down, but lots of time, so let's have some fun slimming it down...

Three Tom Petty suggestions, we need to choose from...

Running Down a Dream
    Learning To Fly
    I Won't Back Down

Thoughts..?
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • We have a rather-too-long longlist to narrow down, but lots of time, so let's have some fun slimming it down...

Three Tom Petty suggestions, we need to choose from...

Running Down a Dream
    Learning To Fly
    I Won't Back Down

Thoughts..?
    Won't back down is the only one that's not been done at a jam.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    Benevolent Dictator Message:

As you all know I'm very passionate about the Jams - they mean a lot to me. They mean a lot to a lot of us. I'm also conscious that I want to get it right so we can all have a cracking day, and enjoy ourselves - the buzz after Sasquatch was huge and I want to get that time after time.

The response to the jams this time round has been, frankly, incredible, and I'm floored. It's brilliant and I don't want to kill that.

However, I'm conscious that you may have all caught me with my pants down a bit and the songlist organising has been a bit chaotic.. I want everyone to have their fair crack, and I want the songs on the day to represent the needs/desires/hard work of those who will be there to play them. I've not given either of the setlist organisers a clear brief and have left them both a bit high and dry and that's not very fair of me. As such, I'd like to take a pause in this thread and have a discussion with them to make sure I'm supporting them and giving them a clear and consistent process for getting the right songs together for all of you.

How do I know I've failed at this? I've had about 200 notifications today, a number of PMs and messages on here and other threads suggesting people aren't 100% happy with the songlists for a variety of reasons. I want to get this right so I'll chat to @darthed1981 and @mrkb and agree the right way to do it and make sure they are supported and not left stirring chaotic porridge! 

Massive apologies - I should have got this sorted earlier 
    - but if anything it's an indication of just how brilliant your collective enthusiasm or response has been. I will post again tomorrow to give an ETA for songlist chat startup again - I want you to all be able to carry on by Saturday at the latest. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
This discussion has been closed.