Jam Support - calling all newcomers!

What's Hot
BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
Following the rather exciting enthusiasm for the Jam sessions, and after discussion with @TTony, we are setting up a proper pukka Jam Support feature for all newcomers.

We have asked, and he has very kindly accepted, @Alnico to run this. 

@Alnico will make himself available for Support and guidance on practice, how to prep, materials and other such things to enable you to get the most out of it. 

I will leave it for the JamFather himself to explain the process - but if you want help then go get it! It’s a way of making sure you get the most out of every session!

Exciting!
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    "JamFather" ??

:o 

Nice work gents.    There's a few here who have already benefited from Alnico's been-there, seen-it, done-it, there-was-nothing-to-worry-about approach and it's great that he's happy to help a few more through that same process.

:+1: 
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited August 2018
    Over the next week or so I'll be posting here with some general advice and addressing common issues people tend to frequently have.

I will have HD Web cam support up and running (Hopefully) by next weekend or early the  following week at the latest.

I'm available anytime for specific questions about any aspect of the Jams and pretty much any song you want to know.

No riff is unplayable if you apply yourself in the right way.
    No song is un doable if you approach it the right way.
    Panic is your biggest enemy so if you feel unsure about a song, stop and ask.

Most times its the approach that's lacking something which is easily spotted and fixed with exercise. 

Remember this... Steve Vai's mum bought him a Strat copy from the Seers Catalogue and he couldn't play a thing on it. He couldn't play what all the cool kids were playing, all the current 70s rock and metal so he went and found out how and sat there until he could.

Dimebag got so pissed off at not being able to play as well he wanted, he didn't come out of his house for 6 months but when he did he was on fire.

The only difference between them and you is that you don't want it as much as they do...or do you?

Whether you think you can or you think you can't do this, you're right.
    Answer that question and let me know what you think if you think I can help. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    Useful thread this, thanks @Alnico ;
    My problem will just be nerves, as i have got older i avoid people hearing me play, got no idea why
    Ask me to sing a song though and i have no problem whatsoever, 1 person or 1000 i would have no problem, so it ain't shyness
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    adampeter said:
    My problem will just be nerves, as i have got older i avoid people hearing me play, got no idea why
    Ask me to sing a song though and i have no problem whatsoever, 1 person or 1000 i would have no problem, so it ain't shyness
    @Alnico is the man for this. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    Paging @blackjack to this thread, and to introduce her to the charming mr @alnico :)
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    Paging @blackjack to this thread, and to introduce her to the charming mr @alnico :)
    They know each other I do believe ;)
    Oh excellent, I think she is a top candidate for "Mr Alnico's Jam School"...
    To be fair, a lot of us are :D
     @Blackjack is Nikki and she's been one of my closest friends for years.

We've already got some Web cam sessions planned and I'm helping her with the things she feels like she's struggling with.

Thanks for thinking of her though Ed.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    adampeter said:
    This is common.
    When enough people have complained at you to turn it down and life has beaten your head up with work and other shit, you tend to feel self conscious and almost like anyone who can hear you play will laugh at you. 
    "Did you hear the awful racket that mid-life crisis idiot was making this morning?" Is usually the line that my imaginary neighbours never actually said that plays out in my head.

Solution.
    Use headphones at home and find a local rehearsal studio to go to once a week or fortnight so you can make some noise without feeling self conscious. Most studios will do a deal for a small room that's big enough for just you and a guitar amp etc. If you want you can maybe ask for a small PA to play along to backing tracks. Everywhere charges different rates so shop around.
    Headphones at home builds confodence in private and regular studio volume will help you improve dynamics and get the hell over the imaginary hecklers.

Practice at volume all the time and always standing up.

In 30 days you'll be gagging for a stage.
    It's just a learned behaviour and it can be unlearned. 
    Stage fright is a different thing and that's crippling. This is something on it's own and something I've suffered with myself many times.

@adampeter if this is similar or you want to discuss in prirate,  PM me anytime. 
  • BlackjackBlackjack Frets: 227
    Alnico said:
     @Blackjack is Nikki and she's been one of my closest friends for years.

We've already got some Web cam sessions planned and I'm helping her with the things she feels like she's struggling with.

Thanks for thinking of her though Ed.

I am indeed already a student of Mr Alnico’s !, 
    He is one of my closest friends and a great teacher and mentor.
    i can think of no better man for the job! 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Crikey, positive outcome and people communicating before it was even suggested!

If it was like this at my work, I could probably add ten years to my life! :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Threads on to a winner already :)

My aim for the next session is to sing.. I've guitared, bassed, and drummed in bands and at the jams but never sung. I'm pretty bad. So I probably won't. No harm in aiming aye? ;)
  • Yep. I've been playing for about 18 years now and done lead/rhythm in bands but these jams will be the first time I get an acoustic out and sing................... I've no experience with the singing. Might try a few open mics in Edinburgh first if I can build up the courage!
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    Bridgehouse said:
    Following the rather exciting enthusiasm for the Jam sessions, and after discussion with @TTony, we are setting up a proper pukka Jam Support feature for all newcomers.

We have asked, and he has very kindly accepted, @Alnico to run this. 

@Alnico will make himself available for Support and guidance on practice, how to prep, materials and other such things to enable you to get the most out of it. 

I will leave it for the JamFather himself to explain the process - but if you want help then go get it! It’s a way of making sure you get the most out of every session!

Exciting!
    This is a great idea, thank you.
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Great thread, all hail the JamFather.

90% of new players quit in the first year. What a shame ...  don't do it. *** Help over the hump is available.

I am only 18 months in so beginner pain is very fresh to me, but I remember the first day I could play a "real song" inc. solo all the way through (Californication in my case) as a real milestone and a point of no return. The scales fall from the eyes - it's not voodoo, you can do it if you pick one thing, stick at it and don't get too distracted.

Beginners are welcome to PM me, I had a great experience at Huddersfield and am pleased to pay it forwards. I'm only 1 page ahead of you in the book, but it's enough.

*** I quite like that "Help Over the Hump". Should be a t-shirt.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    pmbomb said:
    Great thread, all hail the JamFather.

90% of new players quit in the first year. What a shame ...  don't do it. *** Help over the hump is available.

I am only 18 months in so beginner pain is very fresh to me, but I remember the first day I could play a "real song" inc. solo all the way through (Californication in my case) as a real milestone and a point of no return. The scales fall from the eyes - it's not voodoo, you can do it if you pick one thing, stick at it and don't get too distracted.

Beginners are welcome to PM me, I had a great experience at Huddersfield and am pleased to pay it forwards. I'm only 1 page ahead of you in the book, but it's enough.

*** I quite like that "Help Over the Hump". Should be a t-shirt.
    Help Over The Hump could also be taken as a terrible experience in prison though! : )
    :s  not in my case,but we're a broad church.
    @pmbomb I didn't know you've only been playing for 18 months!

In that case you're doing even better than I told you you were at Huddersfield and you're a great model for people to study.

Well done Matt.

Very kind. lol there's a back story, I bought a guitar when I was 16 in '82, I never did more than an annual 20 minute strum, so I never played it but I could never sell it because that felt like closing a door. Never got lessons and this was decades pre-internet, there was no Justin or Marty. It came from house to house with me, and up to the loft each time.

Autumn term '16 (just turned 50!) my little daughter started piano lessons, December the school did a 'free lesson for parents' thing, her mum said "do it or shut up". So I did and here we are.

December 17 a year later I played Californication to > 100 people (credit to Rock Project for that), nailed the solo, got a big cheer, what a buzz. It could have been 20,000 at Wembley stadium to my eyes. I thought I was going to be a bag of nerves but like a lot of things in life the fear is much worse than the actual experience. We rocked.

My 2 big pass-ons to start-ups would be:
    * infinite internet distraction is a big problem. So pick a song you like, check with someone more experienced that it's accessible (don't bite off too much), then do it and stick to it until it's done, so you can play it all the way through to the record. I was having weekly lessons at the time and checking in with the tutor helped keep me on track. I don't totally buy the concept of a guitar "teacher" (because you teach yourself, home, alone, just you and it, that's how it is), but a mentor/tutor can be a real help through those early months.
    * you don't have to be perfect to play live. Your audience think you are awesome because you can stand up and hold a guitar, and they're desperate to be part of the positive feedback loop with you. Look up at them not down at your feet and you will see it. They're on your side.

Oops that became a long pos! HTH.