General Jammers Songlist Chat

What's Hot
BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
I thought given the new rules, it would be good to have a thread where we can just generally chew the fat over potential choices and so forth. 

This thread is for exactly that - fill your boots with whacky ideas, odd suggestions, and team-ups for songs!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    How will this work? Is it a simplistic case of the most popular suggestions will get played or is there to be a quota system, divided into categories? e.g. Half a dozen old faithful songs that plenty of forumites know, a bunch of trickier pieces for the flash gets and, maybe, a small left field category for having some big fun in a silent way?
    Be seeing you.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    ...maybe, a small left field category for having some big fun in a silent way?
    A mime orgy?
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    How will this work? Is it a simplistic case of the most popular suggestions will get played or is there to be a quota system, divided into categories? e.g. Half a dozen old faithful songs that plenty of forumites know, a bunch of trickier pieces for the flash gets and, maybe, a small left field category for having some big fun in a silent way?
    Have a look at the first post in the new Sasquatch or quad songlist threads - essentially:

Everybody suggests 3 for a jam they are attending

We pull together a shortlist of:

5 for Jam Virgins that they have suggested
    5 Easy
    5 Medium
    5 Hard

Changing for each jam depending on who is going. 

I would say Easy is probably your old faithful and dead simple to learn, medium is probably for those with a bit more experience or for newbies with support and hard for the widdlers and the left field choices

Nothing is off limits and we are aiming for as varied a choice as is possible. 

No orgies tho.
    Could it be this is the jam where we drop Comfy...? :open_mouth:
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    We could.
    I want to try 'Time' at either Quad or Sasquatch or both so it's the same sort of thing but a new flavour.
    What do people think of doing that?
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Alnico said:
    We could.
    I want to try 'Time' at either Quad or Sasquatch or both so it's the same sort of thing but a new flavour.
    What do people think of doing that?

id love to pick up some floyd at some point, but i would be more comfortable doing time* at Sasquatch....

* puns clearly intended
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27342
    edited August 2018
    Above comments moved from the Quad songlist suggestion thread.
    :)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    TTony said:
    Above comments moved from the Quad songlist suggestion thread.
    Cool thanks for that.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    edited August 2018
    I'm gonna do Paganini 5th caprice. 
    On an acoustic.
    With gauge 14 strings.

lol
    (Then I'll wake up :lol: )
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    Aren't those the football stickers?
    edited August 2018
    Could it be this is the jam where we drop Comfy...? open_mouth
    I don't see why Comfy should be an automatic choice for every session.

There are plenty other songs out there, and plenty others that could rival Comfy for "classic" status in the jams.  Not least @Alnico's suggestion of Freebird if we could get that properly right.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    There are a few floyd and floyd-related songs I'd like love to give a go. If not at a tFB jam, then at some point in the near future:

Lucy Leave - one of their very earliest (as The Tea Set) but the solo stumps me?!?!?!?
    The Nile Song - the first Floyd song i dreamt of playing all those years ago. Haven't yet tried, but will do soon,
    Obscured by Clouds - no idea what this is like to play, but sounds cool in the way only Floyd can manage,
    On The Run (Travel Sequence) - the very early live-only pre-version before it became a synth fest,
    and
    Syd's Gigolo Aunt with his deceptively simple riffs throughout.

I can only imagine the raised eyebrows, tut-tuts and pursed lips amongst tFB cognoscenti at these rather idiosyncratic selections, but you know what, I don't care. I'd love to find someone with the same tastes and be willing to share the same desire to play these live.

Those might be the sort of things @fandango that you could get going in the separate jam rooms?  

They're unlikely to make the formal songlist, but if those are songs you'd love to try, it'd be great if we can make that happen within one of our meet ups.  Have a chat with the JamFather ...

TTony said:
    Could it be this is the jam where we drop Comfy...? open_mouth
    I don't see why Comfy should be an automatic choice for every session.

There are plenty other songs out there, and plenty others that could rival Comfy for "classic" status in the jams.  Not least @Alnico's suggestion of Freebird if we could get that properly right.
    I agree completely, it shouldn't though up to this point I think it's the only one we have done at all of them.

So it is possible those making their choices are assuming it will be there (it's always popular for signups) and therefore might be assuming someone else will pick it. 

It's worth making clear that if nobody picks it then it's not making the list?
    Agree - it's always popular, and for good reason.  I still remember the version played at Quad last year which was absolutely stunning given the lack of rehearsal, prep, etc.  Great song, well played, sounded brilliant.

But perhaps another "classic" that took its place could be even more popular, more stunning and more brilliant?

(It's probably not going to be an Oasis track though)
    :D
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    I think we have to decide what the reason why we include Comfy in the jam sessions. One of the reasons is the extended guitar solo at the end of the song which, let's be honest, we all like to play.

For those of us that are confident in doing some kind of extended solo there are lots and lots of songs we can put in instead of Comfy. At the last 2 Huddersfield jam sessions we put in Purple Rain and While My Guitar Gently Weeps both of which have a nice chord sequence to solo over.

@alnico has suggested Freebird, which is a great pick for this kind of song, and can easily be shared by three guitarists. If we want this kind of song in the jam, there are loads of non-Floyd stuff we can put in. Let's think about it, it's a jam, so if we can coral enough people we can do Comfy in a side room if we really want to. 
    If you want the “benevolent dictator” view - then largely I share @vasselmeyer ‘s opinion above. 

The Jams need a showcase song for those who like an extended widdle - and a song that can cope with a number of guitarists of all abilities. 

There are loads of choices and loads of great songs. Let’s play them. 

And @TTony - Comfy was indeed impressive at Quad. I’ll be honest - I’ve heard other songs since then which have already been played better and more impressively...
    edited August 2018
    Comfy was indeed impressive at Quad. I’ll be honest - I’ve heard other songs since then which have already been played better and more impressively...
    I wasn't suggesting that Comfy is therefore untouchable.  

Indeed, if it came to a vote, I'd go with Freebird instead this time around, if only as a try-something-new opportunity ...
    TTony said:
    Comfy was indeed impressive at Quad. I’ll be honest - I’ve heard other songs since then which have already been played better and more impressively...
    I wasn't suggesting that Comfy is therefore untouchable.  

Indeed, if it came to a vote, I'd go with Freebird instead this time around, if only as a try-something-new opportunity ...
    Yes. I actually think we should try something different as a challenging finisher. I like the idea of Freebird as well..
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    My preference has always been for the jams to be, in main,  about learning, so a swap to Freebird also gets my vote.