Dual combo combo options

What's Hot
rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1373
morning all

I just watched an old TPS talking about 2 amp set ups. This might be the ticket and was wondering what considered advice might be to the following.

Medium sized pedal board including all drives, modulation and H9 in a simple chain. Take the left out of the H9 into a Vox AC30. Take the right out into an isolated splitter (bright onion, lehle type thing) and run it to Tweed Deluxe type amp.

my plan is to pick up both amps second hand and depending on availability, might strike it lucky amp wise. The set up would be in stereo.... Whether that's actually any good or not, we'll see, and logistics wise, would be less space in the car than my current head and cab.

any wisdom appreciated

Thanks
An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• pmgpmg Frets: 298
    edited August 2018
    I run a two amp setup wet/dry, it sounds bigger/fuller to me.  I like it.  I don't think there are any "rules" to it other than to split safely, which you have covered.  Your proposal sounds good
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    Consider getting combos with an fx loop if you want to run your wet fx post-preamp.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6636
    Worth getting a A/B/Y splitter that isolates the two amps to avoid earth issues and allows phase reverse on one output (the lehle one does this, not sure if bright onion does). I find adding a mids biased dirty amp (Marshall) with a mid scooped clean amp (fender) makes a huge sounding guitar rig. 
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    edited August 2018
    Almost like my set up. I use a bright onion splitter to go to two amps. Nearly the same amps too. Sounds great :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16004
    Can't beat dual amp set up.........unless you have 3 amps !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    edited August 2018
    It’s a good shout to use differently voiced amps in a stereo rig, ie Marshall and a Fender etc. I’d settle on a budget, including proper switches and portability, so two 1x12 combos instead of two 2x12’s etc
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    I run two low valve output amps at home, a Blackheart and a Laney. I just split the stereo output from a Hall of Fame, one to each amp. I mainly did this to get the stereo panning from the reverb and delay pedals but it also really beefs up the sound. 
    boogieman said:
    I run two low valve output amps at home, a Blackheart and a Laney. I just split the stereo output from a Hall of Fame, one to each amp. I mainly did this to get the stereo panning from the reverb and delay pedals but it also really beefs up the sound. 
    That works if you are using only pedals for dirt, play clean all the time, or don't mind dirt after your delay, reverb and mods. If not, you'll want a way to put those wet fx after the preamp.
    Gadget said:
    boogieman said:
    That works if you are using only pedals for dirt, play clean all the time, or don't mind dirt after your delay, reverb and mods. If not, you'll want a way to put those wet fx after the preamp.
    I'd like to do that too or do the 4CM but the thought of setting all that up at the local pub I think would do my head in lol. Stereo plug n play for me. Love to try wet/ dry but don't always go out with two amps and would be a nightmare re routing the board for each scenario :(
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1254
    I find the Orange Rocker 32 springing to mind here...

https://orangeamps.com/products/guitar-amp-combos/rocker-series/rocker-32/

...one pretty conventional pre-amp, one FX send, 2 FX returns, 2 completely independent power amps, and 2x10” speakers in a single manageable box.
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    JayGee said:
    I find the Orange Rocker 32 springing to mind here...

https://orangeamps.com/products/guitar-amp-combos/rocker-series/rocker-32/

...one pretty conventional pre-amp, one FX send, 2 FX returns, 2 completely independent power amps, and 2x10” speakers in a single manageable box.
    Interesting. Never seen that before.
    Gadget said:
    boogieman said:
    I'd like to do that too or do the 4CM but the thought of setting all that up at the local pub I think would do my head in lol. Stereo plug n play for me. Love to try wet/ dry but don't always go out with two amps and would be a nightmare re routing the board for each scenario :(
    Fair enough. It would be a faff live.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7069
    Have a look at the Yamaha THR100HD, it may surprise you :-)
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1254
    Gadget said:
    Gadget said:
    boogieman said:
    Fair enough. It would be a faff live.
    That’s where the Rocker 32 comes in - as far as I can work it out the only additional overhead is one single cable to carry the extra FX return between the pedalboard and the amp, and it’s perfectly practical for pub gigs.
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Gadget said:
    boogieman said:
    I can’t crank the amps enough at home to get dirt without pedals, so yes I run them both clean and hit them with various gain pedals. The Blackheart also doesn’t have an fx loop, so everything goes straight into the front of both amps. 
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    The second amp isn't a huge amount of extra setup and is easier if you have a patchbox at the corner of your pedal board.

It's basically just powering up the second amp and connecting it with an extra cable.

I can see why it would be problematic if you had effects in the FX Loop of both amps though. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    The perfect dual amp setup would be controlled by something like a Boss ES5 or ES8, then you could assign individual effects to different amps etc and have it on a preset etc 
    The second amp isn't a huge amount of extra setup and is easier if you have a patchbox at the corner of your pedal board.

It's basically just powering up the second amp and connecting it with an extra cable.

I can see why it would be problematic if you had effects in the FX Loop of both amps though. 
    Only gets problematic when one goes out with one amp though but next gig honoit with two. You'd have to change presets and board etc. This is why I use a sun to mon box on those occasions. I'm in stereo then though