Daniels guitars builds and finishing

What's Hot
DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
edited November 2021 in Made in the UK tFB Trader
Hi well I've finally roped in the help of stuart aka poopot to start sorting out a website, it needs more content and pics plus gallery etc, feel free to comment on the format etc

I'll update builds and stuff of interest when i can 

Many thanks 

http://www.danielsguitars.co.uk/
www.danielsguitars.co.uk
(formerly customkits)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader
    2 of my recent ones for Marc at mojo pickups

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 17reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    Nice ageing! Tele looks particularly good.
    tFB Trader
    Nice ageing! Tele looks particularly good.
    Thanks but it was the goldtop that really did it for us, particularly marcs special neck pick up, the ageing on the goldtop came out fantastic imo and comparing to a 54 i have access to was a bit ott, checking was spot on, i really liked that one so much that I'm making another with real 56 p90's and vintage bigsby 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tsj93tsj93 Frets: 49
    Excellent work Darren. Everyone should look at mojos instagram, the pics he has of the goldtop on there really show the detail and checking, its unbelievable 
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Without being too boring, you need to do something with the contact page. Always helps to put your full postal address. And if using that contact form you need to make it GDPR compliant - lots of free advice on this available online.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Gagaryn said:
    Without being too boring, you need to do something with the contact page. Always helps to put your full postal address. And if using that contact form you need to make it GDPR compliant - lots of free advice on this available online.
    Thanks no idea what GDPR is hopefully stuart knows I'm clueless 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Gagaryn said:
    Data protection on speed
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Gagaryn said:
    Not knowing = very bad, todays homework learn about GDPR, potential fine for breaching whether you know or not 4% of revenue I believe!

"You should review your current privacy notices.  Under the
    GDPR there are some additional things you will have to tell people. For
    example, you will need to explain your lawful basis for processing the
    data, your data retention periods and that individuals have a right to
    complain to the ICO if they think there is a problem with the way you are
    handling their data. The GDPR requires the information to be provided in
    concise, easy to understand and clear language."

PS The goldtop makes me salivate....
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    It's starting to look good but theirs no "current builds" or completed guitar pages it just looked like you have a picture of a Les paul and a tele, and nothing you have made, if people are going to want to pay for your service there needs to be lots of evidence that what you do is amazing and worth the investment  at the mo the website does not show this, 
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Have to jump in here.

The site is nowhere near finished tbh!...
    Not even started if I’m honest!... 

Galleries will be added in due course, lots of info to come along with video and case studies of builds...

gdpr requires only that a person using a contact form give consent for you to contact them. This can be by way of a little check box or just the fact that they instigated the contact in the first place.

I have been through the gdpr nonsense till my eyes bled with my own business... a lot of pomp and fluff... 

darren, I’ll just put up a holding page till you are ready to launch fully!...
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3489
    Gagaryn said:
    Without being too boring, you need to do something with the contact page. Always helps to put your full postal address. 
    This could have some advantages but considering there has a very significant theft of property from a guitar maker recently (who is a member of this forum) and I myself would be reluctant to openly advertise the location of my workshop if I was a guitar maker but I think a more general location could be a good thing. 

Good to see you have a page up up @customkits ;

In the bottom left hand corner of the website, where the link for Facebook I think you could also put up the link for your Instagram page and Youtube if you have one and an another page maybe you could have other links for your guitars be it Instagram links or Youtube videos (eg Mike's ones) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I'll get me coat

Tbh i know nothing about websites but if i wanted to I'd learn but i don't so I'm leaving this to stuart and I'll get it up when we're finished 

No i do not want my workshop address on show, i will gladly talk via emails and phone and arrange visits as necessary for prospective customers 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I'll get me coat

Tbh i know nothing about websites but if i wanted to I'd learn but i don't so I'm leaving this to stuart and I'll get it up when we're finished 

No i do not want my workshop address on show, i will gladly talk via emails and phone and arrange visits as necessary for prospective customers 
    I think Company websites legally need a geographic address. Personally I would be very wary of using any website that didn't have one.

Edit - found this, a few years old though... https://www.out-law.com/page-431

Minimum information to be provided

Service providers, whether involved in e-commerce or not, should provide the following minimum information, which must be easily, directly and permanently accessible:

• the name of the service provider must be given somewhere easily accessible on the site. This might differ from the trading name and any such difference should be explained – e.g. "XYZ.com is the trading name of XYZ Enterprises Limited";
    • the geographic address of the service provider must be given; 
    • the details of the service provider including his or her email address, so long as it allows rapid contact and direct and effective communication. The CJEU in Bundesverband v Deutsche Internet Versicherung (2008) confirmed that in order to be able to respond to consumers promptly, a company may need to provide other methods of communication beyond its postal and email address. A 'contact us' form without also providing an email address in not sufficient;  
    edited August 2018
    Ok,

Darren’s site is and will be, when it’s finished, nothing more than a “portfolio” of his builds with a facility for anyone to contact him should they need or want to...

He is not a “company” as such, he is not offering items for sale and he won’t have a web shop or ecommerce back end...

gdpr is satisfied by including bith a balid email email address and a box to click to give consent before the contact form will send...

TBH he doesn’t have to put a physical address anywhere on his site... and tbh why would he want to?

if in the future he decides to sell his guitars online, or post a list of his prices (if he has any) or offer any “service” to the general public... he would have to comply with the correct consumer laws where applicable...

but... as it stands... it will be nothing more than a website showing his portfolio... absolutely no different to the millions of artists, photographers and creative artisans around the world...

Edit***** no different to putting a “build thread” on here!...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    If there is a “contact us” form or a way of contacting the website via email you need a privacy policy to comply with GDPR. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Lonestar is absolutely right. If you are collecting personal data about EU citizens then the GDPR applies to you.

Some commentatora suggest that GDPR doesn’t apply to small businesses, however, as with most commentaries on the subject this is based on mos-information.

Whilst small all businesses (less than 250 employees) are exempt from the record keeping requirement of GDPR they are not exempt from the reat of the provisions. The requirement for a privacy policy when dealing with the public and ensuring that you advise them of the correct lawful basis of processing is paramount to avoid a breach.

the earlier post about needing to include your name, address, telephone number, and email address are related to e-commerce regulations and apply in addition to the GDPR. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    When's brexit happening lol

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    lonestar said:
    If there is a “contact us” form or a way of contacting the website via email you need a privacy policy to comply with GDPR. 
    Only if he is running a marketing list... which he isn’t... if he is sending out bulk mails telling everyone who has contacted him about his latest endeavours then yes, a clear and concise privacy policy is needed and has to be made available and people have to opt into the mailing list.

For general “contact me” there is no requirement for a privacy statement.

There are two ways to send Darren an email through his site.

1) you click on a mailto link which opens your mail client and prepares a blank email for
    you to write and send - consent for Darren to contact you given

2) you fill out the form, which is there for the instances when people don’t use a mail client (gmail, Hotmail etc)... the form won’t send unless you check the consent box - consent for Darren to contact you given.

both methods comply with gdpr...

If he then starts sending out bulk mails announcing this, that and the other he is in breach of gdpr... but gdpr allows for “reasonable contact” in the first instance....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16542
    how very silly.

Its a craftsman showing his work.   It's no different to having an instagram page, except with that you have instant permission to spam all your followers to your hearts content

Must get mine sorted again at some point... currently borked
    Just to end the gdpr argument.

To fall within the remit of the GDPR, the processing has to be part of an “enterprise”. Article 4(18) of the Regulation defines this as any legal entity that’s engaged in economic activity”

Darren’s website is nothing more than a portfolio showing his builds...