Noisy synths at live volumes

What's Hot
Do any of you guys play 'experimental' synth sounds out at drummer volume?

I've got a studiologic sledge that I'm thinking of taking out for a jam (e.g. improv), and was wondering about whether getting the filter self oscillating and generally creating fucked up unpredictable sounds etc might risk damaging my qsc k10 speaker at volume? And indeed mine and others' ears.

Any thoughts / experience in this area?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    Could be a job for a limiter.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Yup a brickwall limiter should sort this out.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1561
    That's the kind of thing I was thinking thanks guys, and maybe some kind of high pass eq to avoid the sub frequencies damaging it?

Do you think I could use my helix Lt for this / any idea how I'd need to set it?
    If the synthesizer is digital, with a digital signal output socket and the Helix can accept a digital input signal, you should be okay.

With true analogue synthesis filter self-oscillation sounds into an A/D conversion chip, I would be wary. The limiter needs to go between the two devices. 

My inclination would be to amplify a full frequency range instrument through full frequency response sound reinforcement.
    Be seeing you.
    If the synthesizer is digital, with a digital signal output socket and the Helix can accept a digital input signal, you should be okay.

With true analogue synthesis filter self-oscillation sounds into an A/D conversion chip, I would be wary. The limiter needs to go between the two devices. 

My inclination would be to amplify a full frequency range instrument through full frequency response sound reinforcement.
    Well the synth is digital, so it is a modelled self oscillation, but the sounds can get quite extreme. There's only standard jack outputs.

I was thinking synth > helix (roll off sub frequencies and limit) > qsc k10, which in theory is 'full range', but my concern is whether it will ever project a decent piano sound ever again afterwards!

I don't think the helix has a proper limiter anyhow, just comps, so probably not a solution. Maybe I just need to take it easy and see how I go keeping one hand on the volume when sweeping the cutoff
    horse said:
    I don't think the helix has a proper limiter anyhow, just comps, so probably not a solution.
    What is the maximum compression ratio on the Helix? 
    Be seeing you.
    horse said:
    I don't think the helix has a proper limiter anyhow, just comps, so probably not a solution.
    What is the maximum compression ratio on the Helix? 
    Not sure tbh. I've been reading back over some of the qsc k10 info, and it reckons it has some built in limiting functionality to protect it, plus I'd forgotten that it has a mode that can switch in a high pass eq filter (designed for when it is used with a sub), so I think I might give it a cautious go straight in.