So many technique issues.. what's the answer?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• JJWJJW Frets: 11
    Best advice I can give is slow down when you practice solos etc because when you do this you will have to use more control with your playing ! Keep doing this and this will give you control when you play at normal speed. We can allover play and drop a note here and ther but that's playing live ! Just try and control what you do.No one should it's funnt because someone struggle with some playing style we all have limitations ! Lesson should not be expensive and really you need to find a tutor who will help you play what you want to play and not what he can play they also should help you with control over your playing.
    I do teach but I don't use TAB because I feel you should be able to play what you want to hear more importantly what you feel
    sight reading would be better but I can'tdo that.
    Just in case I'm not worried about mistakes here is my Bandmix link .. https://www.bandmix.co.uk/john-watkins/ ; you can hear the mistakes !  Good Luck.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000 said:
    If you’re already playing in a covers band, then you’re probably far better than you think you are. It’s easy to be you’re own worst critic and you’re right to want to improve, but also bear in mind that some even quite famous players are actually quite sloppy - it’s more rock’n’roll that way.
    This ^  if you’re already playing in a covers band you’re doing something right. Just need some refining , that will be the icing on the cake . 38 is not old, it’s positively kindergarten. Book some lessons , do it now . We believe in you 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    HAL9000 said:
    If you’re already playing in a covers band, then you’re probably far better than you think you are. It’s easy to be you’re own worst critic and you’re right to want to improve, but also bear in mind that some even quite famous players are actually quite sloppy - it’s more rock’n’roll that way.
    This ^  if you’re already playing in a covers band you’re doing something right. Just need some refining , that will be the icing on the cake . 38 is not old, it’s positively kindergarten. Book some lessons , do it now . We believe in you 
     I'm 37 and I'm getting lessons
  • Students like you are my favorite.   As has been stated above, no one will laugh, and as a teacher I love getting to help someone correct simple issues and learn various, but not obvious techniques that take a players abilities up a few notches at a time.  

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited December 2019
    As well as all the good advice above, try to remember why you are doing it. It's meant to be fun. There will always be better players but don't worry about that.