Cheap guitars you can't stop playing...

What's Hot
NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
Has anyone else got a cheapo guitar they just can't put down? My missus has a Squier Strat that I bought her for Christmas a few years ago, but having been living with her the last couple of years, the guitar is with us (along with several of mine) and it plays so bloody nicely, I can't put it down.

I was lucky in that when it arrived (bought from Merchant City) it was set up fantastically and many years later, still plays beautifully. Lovely flattish fingerboard and comfy neck, and 3 springs on the trem so it doesn't wobble.

Lovely guitar. Gets far more love than my US Strat!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 919
    Yup, my squier duo sonic is my number one. Kicks guitars 4 times the price right to the kerb.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    My squier cv tele. Awesome guitar chucked a custom set of pickups in and it plays and sounds as good as anything I've ever owned. The tele and my prs go to every gig.

https://m.flickr.com/photos/jwsproductions/9437540592/lightbox/
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4066
    I've got a partscaster made from a Squier CV50's neck, and an older Squier Standard body. The pickups are from a CV50s too, but the rest of the hardware is upgraded. I think in total it's cost me about £250 but it's brilliant. Okay it might not be as great as my old CS strat was, but in terms of value it's unbeatable. :)
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    There's a very evident Squier trend here ;)

In all fairness though, it's all about the setup for me - if a cheap guitar plays well and feels good, I'll pick that one over a guitar with quality materials every time...
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1258
    edited March 2014
    My 'Jellycaster' (part Jazz- / part Tele-) is getting a lot of playing time.

It's a 'Cruiser by Crafter' I picked up for £25. After a clean and set-up I felt it was good enough for a few upgrades (Tonerider pickups, new electrics/knobs/string trees/straplocks) but it still only comes to around £100. Love this guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10228
    My Charvel alike partscaster.Can't afford a proper one at the moment so I decided to build one.It's a Charvette body,mighty might neck,Irongear Hot Slag and other spare parts.Only got the bridge pickup wired up at the moment but it sounds great.Out of my various guitars including My Les Paul LPJ and Fender Classic Player it's the one I pick up the most.

http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/q659/breakstuff42/IMG_20140329_111704_zpsc17889f8.jpg

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    steamabacus;198603" said:

It's a 'Cruiser by Crafter' I picked up for £25. After a clean and set-up I felt it was good enough for a few upgrades (Tonerider pickups, new electrics/knobs/string trees/straplocks) but it still only comes to around £100. Love this guitar.
    Fair play, that's nice!
    steamabacus;198603" said:

Fair play, that's nice!
    It did have a pretty garish red & blue logo on the headstock which had to go but otherwise I love the quirky looks. I am discussing with a metalworking friend about maybe putting a distressed metal (á la James Trussart guitars) scratchplate on it. My mate made a copper 'plate for another friend's Strat which turned out really well.
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1430
    My CV50's Tele - I'm on my third now, and I'm staggered how great they sound.  I've had bigger bar bills than what it cost me.

I ought to find a CV Strat too I suppose...
  • steamabacus;198603" said:

Fair play, that's nice!
    It did have a pretty garish red & blue logo on the headstock which had to go but otherwise I love the quirky looks. I am discussing with a metalworking friend about maybe putting a distressed metal (á la James Trussart guitars) scratchplate on it. My mate made a copper 'plate for another friend's Strat which turned out really well.
    Ooo there is a thread on here from a few folks who do custom etch work.  Very cool stuff!
    Dodge said:
    My CV50's Tele
    I think they use the same Tonerider pickups as I put in my Jellycaster - Hot Classics. Good pickups.
    Ooo there is a thread on here from a few folks who do custom etch work.  Very cool stuff!
    I'm thinking in terms of some kind of dark-coloured distressed/texturing rather than etching. I don't want anything too pretty and I do love the subtle textures Trussart gets through his various rusting processes. My mate was totally blown away when I showed him the Trussart website.
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    edited March 2014
    my partstele also with tonerider hot classics  :)  It's got a nice flat fretboard and big frets.  I've got some much more expensive guitars but this is my main go to.  So comfortable to play, versatile and sounds great.

• DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    I'm in the Squier club as well, a tele and a strat.  My only complaint with the strat is noise when using certain pick-up settings when I'm recording.  I've also got a cheap Epiphone Special ll that I go to when I have to get a really clean signal, the humbuckers really do work for that.  I like all 3 of these guitars, they are the ones I play the most out of the 9 that I currently have.  I used to have a 60's Kent single pick up solid body that was nice to play too but I stupidly sold it.......

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1756
    My very old Vintage junior I have had for 10 odd years came out recently for my moving sale and honestly played it everyday for the last month. It's solid some kind of Asian mahogany the Fralin pickup lifts the tone in to as good as anything p90 I have played the neck is slim 60,s back when I bought it I upgraded the pots and caps forgot about that. Frankly it's now not getting sold. Best 70 quid out of a charity shop I ever spent.
  • I picked up a battered Faith Naked Venus a few weeks ago for virtually nothing expecting it to be a beater for camping. The tone is incredible. Perhaps it's opened up more than most due to the seriously heavy strumming it's had. 
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    I got a lpb squire off Frankus. It has a rosewood board and is ace to play. I recently put it away in a bid to justify having my other more expensive guitars but im drawn to the squire, also while im at it , I bought an Ibanez SA series off mr menturn which i keep in work and play every day,that too is lovely to play. Then theres my Westone thunder 1  which is also nice to play but its a righty strung lefty and so im restricted this at present is packed away.

• daveww said:
    Nice amp. Blues Junior? Who made the cab? (sorry, minor hijack)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    daveww;198628" said:
    my partstele also with tonerider hot classics  :)  It's got a nice flat fretboard and big frets.  I've got some much more expensive guitars but this is my main go to.  So comfortable to play, versatile and sounds great.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm467/davidkw2001/image_zps097df808.jpg
    That's a lovely Tele. One of these days I'll get a nice Tele...
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9498
    My Loar LH-200 cost £200:

I wanted to learn some acoustic blues stuff and have a beater around the house but I don't think I've taken my Taylor out of its case since I got this. Fantastic build quality and finish. Unlike many Chinese guitars the finish is thin and pinhole-free and it played so nicely out of the box it didn't need a pro setup - no high frets, nicely cut (bone) nut and saddle. It also pulls off that 1930s Gibson look very well - shallow I know, but my guitars have to look right as well as play well and sound good.