Cheap guitars you can't stop playing...

What's Hot

Comments

• rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 229

Couple of years ago I bought a cheapy Stagg PRS Custom 24, hardtail.

Surprisingly its plays pretty well, after some work, and is great for a metally type guitar.

Not worth a bean so not worth trying to sell!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Dodge;198620" said:
    My CV50's Tele - I'm on my third now, and I'm staggered how great they sound.  I've had bigger bar bills than what it cost me.

I ought to find a CV Strat too I suppose...
    I've had a few cv strats and don't rate them as much as the teles. The necks on the strats I've had have been a lot skinnier than my cv50 tele. The tele came with full size alpha pots whereas all 3 strats had super cheap mini pots and seriously cheap switches. Not sure why though.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    A 2005 MIK Ibanez SA120, bought it from a guy who never played it, so essentially new.  For the silly money I paid amazing fit and finish and a neck that easily rivals my US made gear.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    My fifty five quid yamaha :) Spent more than that on the body for my partsacaster!

I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    My Squier Jazzmaster (£250) gets played more than my Gibson Flying V (£600).

This is because the Gibson has electrical issues. The (cheaper) Squier's electrics are far more complicated but there are... NO issues!
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    Although I'm a PRS fanboy  the two guitars that get the most use here are my olp van halenised - cost me £90, and a Peavey Raptor I got as part of trade deal locally - almost a freebie tbh  and it plays great - I had two for a while and they play way above the price.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Not exactly bargain basement cheap - but my Taylor GS Mini. I pick it up far more often than any of my other guitars. It's really got me into playing again.
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    @downbytheriver thanks, the cab was made by Zac Drummond, used to be a member on MR, and I think still sells on ebay.  It's a Belcat Tube 20R (BJ clone) with a new reverb tank and a vintage 30 speaker.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2723
    Korean Dano U2: £100 well spent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    gusman2x;198588" said:
    Yup, my squier duo sonic is my number one. Kicks guitars 4 times the price right to the kerb.
    Same here, I have late 90s duo sonic and its fantastic, cost me £80 new

• ElxElx Frets: 412
    My Nuno Washburn, the Chinese one…it feels great, I love the neck! It's blasphemy, I know, but I love the guitar :)
  • StageStruckStageStruck Frets: 102
    A Vintage Lemon Drop which cost £150. Great guitar, It plays really nicely but is a bit heavy for me gigging with so it is my 'living room' practice guitar.

• kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    I have a Crafter Convoy FM like this; http://jeremyspencer.com/media/images/crafter-convoy.jpg

Its been gigged all over and has certainly paid me back the £147 it cost
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9984
    tFB Trader
    My £95 Squier Vintage Modified Strat ... all creamy white and big headstocked ... now has a Oil CityTriple Blues pickup set in. The Duncan designed pickups weren't horrible, but plastic bobbins don't let the wire sit in the sweet spot of the coil like fibre flatwork does. It also means that to get enough wire on they use 43 gauge not 42 ... so the sound becomes a bit too compressed in the mids for classic SRV style sounds. Just not Stratty enough. Would sound fine for 'modern' style sounds.
    The guitar itself is an absolute peach. Lovely neck with 'clay' dots ... thin finish (surprisingly), light, resonant. Better than most Mexican Strats I've tried of late. With the diesel to pick it up it probably cost me a ton ... best ton I've spent. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    edited March 2014
    Like the others on here you cant beat a secondhand Squier CV, ive owned several Teles, a 50's strat and a duo sonic.......

• IanpdqIanpdq Frets: 131
    edited March 2014
    Yes this bought off ebay and told it would fall apart on musicrader forum but it still plays great http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr186/ianpdq/blue02.jpg

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    My £50 '89 Epi SG with a bolt-on neck, not-the-best neck break repair, awful pickups and imitation Bigsby, is the only guitar I play every day.

Probably got done paying £50, but I have to say I really rather love it lots

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-xm4xpEiUDW4/UoKVd0NYfjI/AAAAAAAAGoE/FWvhIL_P4y8/s1600/IMG_5034.JPG

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Ianpdq said:
    Yes this bought off ebay and told it would fall apart on musicrader forum but it still plays great http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr186/ianpdq/blue02.jpg
    What is it Ian, looks well pretty?

• IanpdqIanpdq Frets: 131
    edited March 2014
    JookyChap said:
    Ianpdq said:
    No name on it I just like the look of it and for under £200 it's great Wilkinson trem as well oh and it has two screws to hold the neck on

• Ianpdq;199004" said:
    JookyChap said:

Ianpdq said:

No name on it I just like the look of it and for under £200 it's great Wilkinson trem as well oh and it has two screws to hold the neck on
    Have you tried to remove the neck? Some have an internal bolt that pulls the neck down into the body. If so, that's pretty awesome!

If not, it's still well pretty! Nice blue that.