That looks epic sir very very nice.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    Sweet.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

This looks great.  

How much does it weigh Martin?  

Mulling over upgrading my Princeton to something a bit more powerful.

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

This looks great.  

How much does it weigh Martin?  

Mulling over upgrading my Princeton to something a bit more powerful.

It's quite a substantial amp, this one, as the customer wanted it that way for a big sound. The H magnet speaker isn't the lightest!
    I'd reckon somewhere between 22-24kg. It's similar to the Fender Blues Deluxe in size and weight, disregarding the G12H.
    It could be made lighter and smaller quite easily, but of course it's a trade off.
    edited June 2018 tFB Trader

This is one that went out a couple of weeks back. It's pretty much a 'standard' Roadstar 18, except it has a valve/spring reverb, Power Scaling, footswitchable boost and an SDM effects loop. Finished in Emerald levant with Bluesbreaker grill cloth and white piping, the speaker is a G12M-65 Creamback.

A very nice amp :)

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2018 tFB Trader

This is the latest from MJW. It's a bit different having the ability to run two different types of output valve, either 2 x 6L6 or 4 x EL90/6AQ5. I did one of these a few years ago for a customer, and he liked it so much he wanted another!

The basic amp is an Electra Twin, 2 channels with clean (Blackface-ish) and overdrive (4 gain stages), and in this case it has Power Scaling and a digital reverb added. It also has a foot-switchable volume boost, which is internally adjustable by a trim pot.

Also on a trim pot internally is the OD mid control; to save panel space, the  customer was willing to sacrifice this control, but it's not necessary to do away with it altogether.

With a pair of 6L6s, the amp produces 30W approximately, clean, cathode biased. A quad of EL90s is half that, and it can also run 2 EL90s for around 7.5W.

0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I haven't seen this on any of your amps but can you fit a line out/DI at the back of your amp designs @martinw ;
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    tFB Trader
    I haven't seen this on any of your amps but can you fit a line out/DI at the back of your amp designs @martinw ;

Yep, I've done several.
    You can have a simple resistive one to a jack socket, or a transformer one to a balanced XLR jack.

• martinw said:
    I haven't seen this on any of your amps but can you fit a line out/DI at the back of your amp designs @martinw ;

Yep, I've done several.
    You can have a simple resistive one to a jack socket, or a transformer one to a balanced XLR jack.

Ooooh wow then I think I'll have to be speaking to you soon then. I'll email and discuss my plan and wish list :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    martinw said:

Yep, I've done several.

Ooooh wow then I think I'll have to be speaking to you soon then. I'll email and discuss my plan and wish list :)
    You will not regret it.
  • ennspek said:8
    martinw said:

Yep, I've done several.

You will not regret it.
    @martinw might, though  ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    ennspek said:
    hotpickups said:
    You will not regret it.
    Thanks! 

Hope yours is still going well.
    :)

tFB Trader
     The latest from the MJW workshop us a good example of what can be done with a traditional design. This is an Electra, configured as a brownface 6G6 Bassman, with a couple of tweaks.

The basic circuit is unaffected  but there's an added mid boost switch, a negative feedback defeat, and a master volume. With the MV fully up, it us transparent to the circuit, so you get the original amp unchanged, but can rein in the volume when required, accessing all the lovely fruitless you get from this type of amp when cranked.

Tech-heads will note the valve rectifier from the 6G6, whilst the bulk of the preamp is from the more developed 6G6-B.

A really satisfying amp to build and play, resplendent in smooth blonde :) 

• DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2335
    Fit?  Abierdeenshire!  Turra!

Ah nivver kent yon aire wis a min ootbye Turra fa gart bespoke amplification!

Ah hiv seen aathin' noo...

Div ye maak a vertical 2 x 12 speaker cabinet?

Aye aye ma loon,

DDig

tFB Trader

:) :)

Fit like DDig?

Yep, I'm out here in the fields with the coos!

(I'll not do the Doric...I'm married to a local quine, so I'm ok understanding, but my speaking is saved for private! :D )

And yes, I do vertical cabinets, either properly vertical like a 2x12 on its side, or diagonal like a small 4x12.

Cheers!

• DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2335
    No, I don't speak Doric either, but I can follow most of a conversation.

Amp build quality looks fabulous.  Unfortunately, I have just bought an amp, but I may need a cab...

Cheers,

DDig
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    His cabs are also splendid.
    edited December 2018 tFB Trader

tFB Trader

This rig was shipped out a while back. Looking cool in denim blue and gold, it's an Electra Twang, with a preamp based on the Blackface Twin, and 50 Watts from 2x6L6s.

The 2x12 cab has G12M Creamback speakers, and is set up to be used vertically or horizontally.

Soundwise, it's the area between clean  ns overdrive that this amp loves. Obviously with 50 Watts it can do a crystal clean, but the master volume means you can dial in just the right amount of compression and grit at any volume. The full on overdrive is great too, not something you'd normally associate with a BF Twin, but the MV allows you to explore that too.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2018 tFB Trader