Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So... what about Jet City?

What's Hot

Comments

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
    Is it much of a job to change the fabric ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    edited June 2018
    Vinylfan said:
    paulnb57 said:
    When @digitalscream was waxing lyrical about them months ago, I gave one a punt, the JCA20HV, the single channel, master volume vintage head, to be honest, I doubt I will ever change to anthing else, outstanding for the price and they are cheap as you buy direct, at home,  flat out or anything in between, just brilliant!
    I changed the dreadful woven fabric covering on  front panel as it was wonky and did my head in.....a bit of scrap 1/2 ply and raid Ms nb57's sewing room.....
    Paisley!!

http://i.imgur.com/qbjJIna.jpg

I like the paisley design!
    Thanks! Me too, although I realise its not everybodys cup o tea.....
    Is it much of a job to change the fabric ?
    Piece o cake!.....Remove the rear panel, remove the amp chassis (don't touch the internals) remove the front panel, then either you could remove the covering from the existing front panel or, do as I did and make a new one to the same dimensions, sand the edges and corners to remove sharpness, apply the cloth, wrapping it round so it overlaps the rear by about an inch, staple around the back edge with an office stapler (!), apply a couple of coats of water based varnish, reinstall.......I kept the original panel in case I ever sell it (unliklely)
    Oh and replace the badge!....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2041
    Bumping this thread after having put a WTB post on the Amp Classifieds. I'm hoping to track down a 20HV to buy. 

Im really keen to try the more vintage clean-to-crunch sound of the HV as a foil to my Custom 22, which is a hoot but quite modern. Anyone got one or know of one for sale?

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• Sorry, no, but thanks for bringing this thread up again, you reminded me to say, thanks @digitalscream for the recommendation, I bought a 20HV and I think it's fantastic :)
  • clarkefan said:
    Sorry, no, but thanks for bringing this thread up again, you reminded me to say, thanks @digitalscream for the recommendation, I bought a 20HV and I think it's fantastic :)
    :)

All of this makes me wish I'd hung on to my Jet City endorsement, I might have been able to get some decent commission out of this :D
    <space for hire>
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There was one going for cheap on an Irish website recently, and like a fool, I didn't pull the trigger!
  • clarkefan said:
    Sorry, no, but thanks for bringing this thread up again, you reminded me to say, thanks @digitalscream for the recommendation, I bought a 20HV and I think it's fantastic :)

All of this makes me wish I'd hung on to my Jet City endorsement, I might have been able to get some decent commission out of this :D

I'm a bit puzzled by people hold8ng out for a second-hand deal, they're an enormous £240 new  :o
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 850
    ^ that's what I think too. The 2nd hand saving is small, especially if the seller adds p&p
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 536
    The consensus seems to be that the vintage version is great - how's the black one? Presumably much more modern sounding. 
  • clarkefan said:
    clarkefan said:

I'm a bit puzzled by people hold8ng out for a second-hand deal, they're an enormous £240 new  :o
    I suspect it's because second-hand ones cost no more than the average drive pedal!
    <space for hire>
    clarkefan said:
    clarkefan said:

I suspect it's because second-hand ones cost no more than the average drive pedal!
    The 20HV is out of stock on the Jet City site. That's the main reason why. I also picked up my Custom 22 form our very own @p90fool for a fantastic £180 and it was pretty much the best 180 I've ever spent and I'd like that feeling again  B)

SteveF said:
    The consensus seems to be that the vintage version is great - how's the black one? Presumably much more modern sounding. 
    The Custom 22 is deffo more modern sounding, especially at house volumes (mostly what I'm limited to). However at the recent Huddersfield forum jam I got to really wind it up and it actually can do a pretty decent AC DC type of noise on its cleaner channel. It is NOT a clean amp, though. 

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited September 2018
    One thing I noted from my brief dalliance with a low wattage model I was plugged into at Guitar Guitar, Camden when trying some low gain drives. I was using the clean channel, which was ok-ish, if a little hard-sounding and the pedals were JHS Bonsai, Tumnus, Vertex, Spark Boost and Fulltone Fulldrive 1 and they sounded absolutely awful. Really brittle and harsh.

I did get to try a couple of them again through a DRRI about a week later and the pedals sounded good.

So, as I said,it was just a quick lunchtime trial of one of these but I'm not sure how well they take OD/boost pedals on the clean channel, if that's anyone's intention, but maybe that's not what they're about and adding some dirt to the overdrive channel probably yields better results.
  • McToot said:
    clarkefan said:
    clarkefan said:

The 20HV is out of stock on the Jet City site. That's the main reason why. I also picked up my Custom 22 form our very own @p90fool for a fantastic £180 and it was pretty much the best 180 I've ever spent and I'd like that feeling again  B)
    That makes more sense now, sorry, I wasn't aware :)

About the 20HV, they not only "darkened" it from the 20H per Joe Perry's request, they also reduced the gain. I've only played one JCA amp so I've no idea how much difference these changes make.

Oh, and they scrub out the "designed by Mike Soldano" on the PCB :) Apparently there are literally 2 or 3 caps/resistors involved between the two so it might be worth buying a 20H and hitting Google.
  • clarkefan said:
    McToot said:
    clarkefan said:
    clarkefan said:

That makes more sense now, sorry, I wasn't aware :)

About the 20HV, they not only "darkened" it from the 20H per Joe Perry's request, they also reduced the gain. I've only played one JCA amp so I've no idea how much difference these changes make.

Oh, and they scrub out the "designed by Mike Soldano" on the PCB :) Apparently there are literally 2 or 3 caps/resistors involved between the two so it might be worth buying a 20H and hitting Google.
    Also worth noting that the 20HV has a post-MV effects loop, whereas the 20H doesn't have one at all.
    <space for hire>
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 536
    Although it's out of stock on Jet City, you can get new Jet City 20HV amps at Thomann 

https://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca20hv.htm ;

• Digitalscream's point about the HV having a loop is important for me.  I use/need that loop for a master volume control, the amp is very loud even set low. 
  • Gulliver said:
    Love my JCA20H  (even more so now I've changed out the speaker in the cab to a Greenback)

I use it as the dry amp in the wet/dry setup with my Mesa as the wet amp.  Seriously massive sound.  Absolutely love it.

Also bought on the back of a @digitalscream recommendation.
    how have you setup the wet dry rig ?
  • I have a 22H and a 100LTD and they both sound great. I play them out both in rehearsal and live and never had a problem getting a great tone... My drummer is an absolute animal and the 22H hangs just fine with him (as long as no pristine clean is required) 

As others have mentioned above, get that presence control on "0" and roll the preamp tubes when you can. They're great amps for relatively little money...and if you've ever looked inside of one you'll see they're excellently laid out, so perfect for an aspiring modder and a breeze to get serviced if you run into a problem. 

Jet City get a Thumbs Up from me.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    McToot said:

SteveF said:
    The Custom 22 is deffo more modern sounding, especially at house volumes (mostly what I'm limited to). However at the recent Huddersfield forum jam I got to really wind it up and it actually can do a pretty decent AC DC type of noise on its cleaner channel. It is NOT a clean amp, though. 
    It's not a clean amp, but can do cleans too.  Used one for ages with a rock covers band and with the gain on one and the channel 1 master high it can get loud enough to gig with and still stay clean unless you want pristine