Favourite Fuzzdogs?

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26748
edited September 2018 in FX
Thinking about another round of pedal builds as I haven’t done any for a couple of years. 

What are people’s favourites? I’ve done a muff, Rat, fuzz face, and a few one knob boosters so far. Wondering about the KoT build but I suspect I wouldn’t like the pedal that much as I’m not playing at gig levels.

Any suggestions welcomed, including a potential phase or trem in a way she’ll for speed control...
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Tremolo: I built the Lunar Shot -- https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Lunar_Shot_-_Optical_Trem/p847124_17359461.aspx

I really rate it. I've had a chance to compare it to a few now, including the Strymon Flint, and I still think it has a good mix of flexibility and simplicity, and it sounds really good. Clean, warm, rich, all that stuff.

P45 phase is also good: https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/P45_Phaser/p847124_7971603.aspx

My favourite of the others I've built was the Libido Boost, which is based on the Durham Sex Drive: https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Libido_Boost/p847124_17584757.aspx

That one has something about it, it just adds a lovely sparkle and a lift to your tone, with a bit of compression as if you are playing through an amp turned up a little higher. I don't particularly like the flavour of dirt when you turn it up enough to get it to really crunch, but with the gain down below about 1 o'clock, it's basically an always on pedal that makes everything sound ... more expensive.

The Lunar Module clone is also very good, as a useful and versatile fuzz/overdrive:   https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Moon_Unit_-_Dark_Side_of_the_Fuzz/p847124_14251409.aspx

BE-OD clone (the Ex-Con) is also good.

Ones I've not really liked much, the OD250 clone (which sounds good stacked with another drive but not on its own to my ears), and the Orange Squeezer clone, which is a bit woolly to me. I also didn't like the 820 drive, much.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    I like the mfz1. Kind of a heavy dirt or light fuzz depending on how you hit it. I'm dyyyyyying to build his DBA clones, brassmaster and ultimate octave but those are expensive kits.

Also, the noisy crocket is really cool and useful!
  • The Supreaux is lovely.

Cant go wrong with a phase 45 if you like it nice and smooth. 
  • I built his Fuzzrite and its really good.

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1254
    Peachy Fuzz - it’s big, it’s bold, it’s fuzzy, it’s a lot of fun, and it’s very usable - mine was on my main gig board for about 2 years, it took a Magnetic Effects White Atom to knock it off, and it may yet make a comeback for a while...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    edited September 2018
    OCD with a bass cut and charge pump on board for 18v, Klone or Timmy.  
  • The Timmy is great, SHO is worth a build too.

the pitbull fuzz is super versatile and sounds great 
  • Done a fair few, mostly boosts/drives/fuzzes.  On the gainier/noisier side, both the Mad Mule (Durham Crazy Horse) and Creme Fluff (Frantone Cream Puff) are great.  The Hotcake is absolutely spot-on, too. 

Most recently, I've built the ROG Omega treble/full-range booster.  I've got it in a 2-in-1 enclosure with the Creme Fluff, and that's a really killer combo.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • Anyone done the Cone Cranker? I think it's an EQD Speaker Cranker clone
  • Just ordered the Fuzzrite kit, if that goes well i’ll be trying the Fuzz face, Harmonic messulator and Fat fuzz factory.

• Cheers all.

After a number of years of avoiding them, I've realised I actually quite like Tubescreamer variations, so I fancy trying the Libido, as well as maybe a Phase 90 and/or 45.

Looks like he's not doing the powder coated enclosures any more though, which is a shame as they make life much easier for someone living in an apartment with neither a pillar drill nor space to spray easily.
  • I’ve bought powder coated enclosures elsewhere and the kit without enclosure. I have had good results drilling by hand without a drill stand or pillar drill. Using a stepped drill bit, a centre punch and a smallish bit to drilla pilot hole.

Bit noisy, though, and pre drilled enclosures are handy. 
  • Matt_McG said:
    I’ve bought powder coated enclosures elsewhere and the kit without enclosure. I have had good results drilling by hand without a drill stand or pillar drill. Using a stepped drill bit, a centre punch and a smallish bit to drilla pilot hole.

Bit noisy, though, and pre drilled enclosures are handy. 
    Yeah, it's just added hassle (i'm in the UAE so it's much easier if I can get international shipping for just one parcel rather than multiple!)
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    The Supreaux is lovely.

Cant go wrong with a phase 45 if you like it nice and smooth. 
    How did you apply the graphics? I always just end up doing something rough with Sharpie but it'd be nice to do a proper one.

The only fuzzdogs I have are the mini LPB1 and DbA Fuzz War/Raw Fuzz. I was going to do a star wars themed graphic for the fuzz war (labeled Blast for volume, Scum for gain and Taun for tone) but never got round to it. Would like to try some of their other fuzz or drive kits. The Eagle Claw one sounds interesting, anyone tried that?
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7670
    Matt_McG said:
    Tremolo: I built the Lunar Shot -- https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Lunar_Shot_-_Optical_Trem/p847124_17359461.aspx

I really rate it. I've had a chance to compare it to a few now, including the Strymon Flint, and I still think it has a good mix of flexibility and simplicity, and it sounds really good. Clean, warm, rich, all that stuff.

Does the Lunar Shot do a chopping on/off at all ? I'd like another Mad Doctor Stutter but if I can get a chop effect for less it would be handy.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    edited September 2018
    @Paul_C Yeah. ;;

I just quickly did that. Square wave with a few  speed settings, and then sine wave with the same. Depth at full in both cases. The speed range can go way higher, or way lower.

• @TTBZ the graphic is hand drawn with Posca pens and has had a clear coat of Envirotex lite thereafter. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    Done a a.c. booster, and klon buffer, both pretty good.

Got my eyes on either a phase 90, 
    Or a single enclosure with klone and slightly modified TS to be like my favourite setting on palisades:)
  • Oooh, looks like pedalpartsplus.com do pretty much any enclosure you want, pre-drilled however you need, and in a bazillion colours. Looks like I'll be sticking to my block colour with dymo label approach :)
  • sgosden said:
    Done a a.c. booster, and klon buffer, both pretty good.

Got my eyes on either a phase 90, 
    Or a single enclosure with klone and slightly modified TS to be like my favourite setting on palisades:)
    That would be a lot of fun. I wonder if you could fit it in a single 1590B with 6 knobs? Probably a little tight..?