The Fretboard in Colour!

What's Hot
FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
edited September 2018 in Theory

Comments

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited September 2018
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10646
    edited September 2018
    I like it. It’s certainly easier to read than my idea:

http://i.imgur.com/hWRBko4.jpg
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2018
    viz said:
    I like it. It’s certainly easier to read than my idea:

http://i.imgur.com/hWRBko4.jpg
    Same concept though 

I've always admired people who can visualize the world around them so clearly. I think the first one is ingenius the way he presents the fretboard in relation to the piano keyboard and the music staff. Choosing C-D-E & F-G-A-B is also quite clever.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 972
    Brilliant!

The colours help a lot.
  • @Phil_aka_Pip one for your records.  
  • I've told pupils before now (especially those familiar with pianos) that a guitar fingerboard in standard tuning looks like 6 pianos, each subsequent one a bit further away from you being shifted left a bit, so while you could (& should) learn scales up one string (as you would on a piano) because it helps you to see the structure of the scale, you should also learn to keep the fingering fairly well in position (but not rigidly so) and cross from one piano to another when the fingering starts to get too far out of position.

The 5 minor pentatonic shapes and the 7 3nps diatonic shapes are good examples of practical shapes that have been derived from mapping out the relevant scales up each string, and then taking a section of the fingerboard for a practical pattern. Unfortunately while a lot of people learn the practical patterns, less people get that the practical patterns are subsets of a bigger layout, and have difficulty with the scale structure as a result, because the across-the-strings pattern doesn't show the scale structure quite as clearly as does the up-one-string shape.

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I'm thinking of painting this and hanging it on the wall in my studio.

http://egalo.com/uploads/2012/04/fretboard-ranges.png