Calling Telecaster experts

What's Hot
LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
A friend has given me his Tele to fit a new neck pickup, due to it being muddy. Sounds like it's deliberately like this - how they did it back in the 50's? If so, is there just a cap I need to snip off or something? 

It's Japanese, approx 25 years old, refin. Is it worth anything? (Thus meaning I should leave it alone?) Pics below

Serial no.
https://i.imgur.com/xadlQhr.jpg

Sticker on back of headstock:
https://i.imgur.com/xadlQhr.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• If it’s a 52 copy, the 3 way selector goes bridge - neck - neck (dark sound) if you google dark sound tele it will explain what to do to get the middle selector on bridge and neck together like a conventional Tele. I doubt very much that he needs a new pick up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • If it's a mij fender the pickups will be awful. 
    A set of mojo pickups will sort it right out
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    I could be wrong, but I don’t think the Japanese reissues came with the 50s wiring. Even with the modern wiring, Tele neck pickups can be muddy - caused by the cover. Depending on the thickness and type of the metal it adds capacitance and magnetic damping, both of which dull the tone.

You can sometimes improve them enough by disconnecting the cover - although this can increase noise - but as meltedbuzzbox said, MIJ Fender pickups are renowned for being crap, and you’re probably better just replacing both of them with some good quality ones.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9166
    Worth anything? Not really. Wood is often decent though.
    Japanese teles had lousy electronics all round. As well as the pickups, they benefit from wiring replacement. 
    For a blackguard, I’d go Lollar or Klein. For cheaper, a set of pickups from a baja would be brilliant. The Twisted Tele will brighten the neck.
  • chris78 said:
    Worth anything? Not really. Wood is often decent though.
    Japanese teles had lousy electronics all round. As well as the pickups, they benefit from wiring replacement. 
    For a blackguard, I’d go Lollar or Klein. For cheaper, a set of pickups from a baja would be brilliant. The Twisted Tele will brighten the neck.
    Depending on condition I'd say it's worth 350-500. 

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • I like the MIJ stuff a lot, but the pickups and wiring are usually shit. Add a neck pickup cover that make it even worse and it's always a good idea to put something better in there. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    chris78 said:
    For cheaper, a set of pickups from a baja would be brilliant. The Twisted Tele will brighten the neck.
    I keep meaning to ask this question is there a difference between the Broadcaster and twisted tele pickups in the Baja and those fitted to custom shop teles?  Are they fitting custom shop pickups in the Baja or pickups wound in Mexico to the same specs? 
  • I recently purchased a Telecaster neck pickup from Alegree.  It’s wound on longer alnico slugs than a standard Telecaster neck pickup and produces a Strat like tone rather like the twisted telecaster pickup. These pickups are hand wound and you have several options, I ordered mine without a cover as the cover can dull down the tone. Service was great and the pickup arrived within a week with a lifetime warranty. 
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1845
    The pickups on my 2017 American vintage 52 are perfect and I’d thoroughly recommend. Neck pickup is a nice mellow contrast to the bridge. Thoroughly recommended.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Buy these:

https://www.mojopickups.co.uk/product/vintage-relic-59-tele/

Thank me when you stop grinning! :)
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    A lot or the higher end Fender Japan guitars have USA pickups, I'd check what's in there before spending your money on upgrades that may not be needed
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3356
    If it was a 62Ri Ive seen the early ones sell for stupid money.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    robgilmo said:
    If it was a 62Ri Ive seen the early ones sell for stupid money.
    A 'V' Serial number id 1996-97 so it's not a sought after one, the early JV serial's made in '82-'84 are the ones that command big money
    John_A said:

A 'V' Serial number id 1996-97 so it's not a sought after one, the early JV serial's made in '82-'84 are the ones that command big money
    I've yet to see a JV Squier sell for more than £600 in the real world, although people certainly do ask stupid prices for them. The *very* first with the large Fender and small Squier decal might possibly be worth a bit more.

Mid-90s MIJ Fenders seem to go for up to about £500, but a refinish devalues it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

edited September 2018
    ICBM said:
    John_A said:

I've yet to see a JV Squier sell for more than £600 in the real world, although people certainly do ask stupid prices for them. The *very* first with the large Fender and small Squier decal might possibly be worth a bit more.

Mid-90s MIJ Fenders seem to go for up to about £500, but a refinish devalues it.
    Agree the JV Squiers tend to go for around the £600 mark, but the higher spec JDM JV's like the ST-115 go for at least twice that, there aren't many around so you don't see as many for sale as you do Squiers

The guitar above a a JDM Fender, not a Squier
    John_A said:

Agree the JV Squiers tend to go for around the £600 mark, but the higher spec JDM JV's like the ST-105 go for at least twice that, there aren't many around so you don't see as many for sale as you do Squiers
    Interesting, I've never seen one of those. I thought the Fender (as opposed to Squier, even if small) badged ones were all after '84. Learn a new thing every day :).

edited September 2018
    John_A said:
    Wow, that's a bonkers price...

ICBM said:
    John_A said:
    Wow, that's a bonkers price...
    It is!  Dictated by rarity/collectability as are a lot of things.  They are great guitars, but I wouldn't pay that for one.  There-again, it's probably no more than a new custom shop and definitely more interesting
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9166
    Adam_MD said:
    chris78 said:
    For cheaper, a set of pickups from a baja would be brilliant. The Twisted Tele will brighten the neck.
    I keep meaning to ask this question is there a difference between the Broadcaster and twisted tele pickups in the Baja and those fitted to custom shop teles?  Are they fitting custom shop pickups in the Baja or pickups wound in Mexico to the same specs? 
    Wound in Mexico to same specs, but have different coloured wiring.
    Ive played a baja side by side with a cs and the differences in my view were down to wood and not pickups
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom