Comments

• I don’t play bass for the chicks - I play bass for the massive respect I always get from the other members of the band...
    How's that working out for you? 
    I’d rather not say
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    DLM said:

"Taylor said that he used to choose his girlfriends by looking through fashion magazines."

You should read his autobiography - that’s girlfriends, not groupies... :)

It’s actually a good read, even if you’re not a fan. There are a lot of pitfalls to being a hugely successful pop star as well as some undeniable attractions.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

@ICBM I'll add it to the growing list of musician autobiogs I want to read. :)

I'm not a Duran fan, but I was utterly riveted by this:

http://thedoublestop.com/ep-104-ian-little-producer-duran-duran/

and part 2, also!

I think you'd love it, too. :sunglasses:

• Bridgehouse said:
    I disagree.
    You would.
    Be seeing you.
  • Bridgehouse said:
    I disagree.
    You would.
    No I wouldn’t 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    edited September 2018
    ok, turns out this bass playing aint as piss easy as i first thought 
    I'm finding it easier with a pick but should i persevere with the fingers?, feels like i'm cheating if i use a pick 
    And any recommendations for a small amp?
  • adampeter said:
    ok, turns out this bass playing aint as piss easy as i first thought 
    I'm finding it easier with a pick but should i persevere with the fingers?, feels like i'm cheating if i use a pick 
    And any recommendations for a small amp?
    I prefer fingers for tone, control etc but both are just as valid. Tbh learning to do both is the real way to go...
  • When you say small amp, is it for home use only? Or do you think you might gig with it in the future?

• When you say small amp, is it for home use only? Or do you think you might gig with it in the future?

at home for now
  • adampeter said:
    When you say small amp, is it for home use only? Or do you think you might gig with it in the future?

at home for now
    A small combo will do just fine - if you want something to expand later and get best quality then Barefaced Midget and a separate head like a markbass LM3 or a GK MB500.. 

But for Combos then the Fender Rumble combos are excellent - and I like the EBS session 60

For higher quality then the small Markbass combos are brilliant and the Phil jones bass range is worth a look for size. 

Mostly, it depends on budget, like most things...
  • adampeter said:
    When you say small amp, is it for home use only? Or do you think you might gig with it in the future?

at home for now
    A small combo will do just fine - if you want something to expand later and get best quality then Barefaced Midget and a separate head like a markbass LM3 or a GK MB500.. 

But for Combos then the Fender Rumble combos are excellent - and I like the EBS session 60

For higher quality then the small Markbass combos are brilliant and the Phil jones bass range is worth a look for size. 

Mostly, it depends on budget, like most things...
    thanks for the info mate, 
  • I use my Zoom b3n either into headphones, or a powered wedge at home. If I'm recording I got straight from the zoom to Audio interface and use monitors. 

In other words, you don't really *need* a dedicated bass amp for home use 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • I use my Zoom b3n either into headphones, or a powered wedge at home. If I'm recording I got straight from the zoom to Audio interface and use monitors. 

Will it damage a valve guitar combo?

That’s true - I use a Preamp into an Frfr cab - however, there is something about the sound of a dedicated bass amp for practise...
  • adampeter said:
    I use my Zoom b3n either into headphones, or a powered wedge at home. If I'm recording I got straight from the zoom to Audio interface and use monitors. 

@ICBM normally has an opinion on that ;)
    adampeter said:

@ICBM normally has an opinion on that ;)
    It's not ideal, but at low home volume into the amp set completely clean it will be fine - the risk is really to the speaker, so as long as you make sure you can hear that distortion isn't occurring (and thus know that it's not pushing the amp too close to full power, which could then overload the speaker) it's not problem. It might not sound very good though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

DLM said:

@ICBM I'll add it to the growing list of musician autobiogs I want to read. :)

I'm not a Duran fan, but I was utterly riveted by this:

http://thedoublestop.com/ep-104-ian-little-producer-duran-duran/

and part 2, also!

I think you'd love it, too. :sunglasses:

I tried... dear god, he's a dull interviewee. I had to give up after about 10 mins :(.

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    @ICBM :( Shame, man. I was transfixed. But I've got really used to these long-form podcasts.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    edited September 2018
    It took me 20 years to move from pick to fingers. It's a bit sloppy but groovy. Some things are easier to play, some are harder.
    It took me 20 years to move from pick to fingers. It's a bit sloppy but groovy. Some things are easier to play, some are harder.
    It took me 20 years to do the opposite...

I now do both, depending on what I want to play - it doesn't have to be one or the other.