13»

Comments

• I use both too. Pick is good for speedy stuff that requires some accuracy. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    I use both too. Pick is good for speedy stuff that requires flailing away at the strings through a fuzz pedal.
    FTFY :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    I use both too. Pick is good for bringing out that “clank” sound on your bass cos it ain’t capable of any other sounds...
    FTFY :)
    Also ftfy ;)
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4942
    @LuttiS the injured guy who walked into the bar across the street would need to visit SpecSavers
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• RockerRocker Frets: 4942
    @Bridgehouse what does a Bass Preamp DI Pedal give the player? I use my bass straight into my Markbass combo and I don’t feel that I am missing something. Thanks 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Rocker said:
    @LuttiS the injured guy who walked into the bar across the street would need to visit SpecSavers
    Haha possibly yeah.. if i recall he did walk off a wall he didn't notice to get said injury.. 
  • Rocker said:
    @Bridgehouse what does a Bass Preamp DI Pedal give the player? I use my bass straight into my Markbass combo and I don’t feel that I am missing something. Thanks 
    Depending on the Preamp, I use different ones to do different things.

If going into an amp, then:

- more complex eq at different frequencies to shape tone, sometimes including a ‘q’ type mids sweep
    - ability to control input gain and output level
    - ability to run a DI straight to desk either for emergency or avoiding DI from an amp that doesn’t have it
    - sometimes for an all in one solution that includes any from: compression, drive, limiter, notch filter, noise gate

If using standalone:

- ability to use gain, eq, compression, amp modelling, and can simulation direct to FOH without having to use an amp - for me this means a small portable package for certain gigs without having to take an amp.

Its very much horses for courses. Some have one in the gig bag or case to use if the amp stops working (emergency backup).

Some use them for some gigs where taking a big amp would be impractical or not possible

Some use them for an alternate EQ setting (amp for one, and then DI on/off for another)

I have one with a valve Preamp which means I can get a nice valve driven tone into the front of a solid state class D amp to give the sound some more character where it needs it.
    Rocker said:
    @Bridgehouse what does a Bass Preamp DI Pedal give the player? I use my bass straight into my Markbass combo and I don’t feel that I am missing something.
    You’re not, if you’re going into the amp and you’re happy with the sound - it’s more for going into a PA *without* an amp. The preamp effectively replaces the one in the amp. If you DI the amp, the DI output will be after the amp’s preamp (sometimes selectable for pre- or post-EQ), so it’s doing the same job.

Having a separate preamp also means you can bypass annoying sound engineers who want you to DI from before the stage amp too - you set the amp flat and use your preamp pedal for your tone :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Rocker said:
    @Bridgehouse what does a Bass Preamp DI Pedal give the player? I use my bass straight into my Markbass combo and I don’t feel that I am missing something.
    You’re not, if you’re going into the amp and you’re happy with the sound - it’s more for going into a PA *without* an amp. The preamp effectively replaces the one in the amp. If you DI the amp, the DI output will be after the amp’s preamp (sometimes selectable for pre- or post-EQ), so it’s doing the same job.

Having a separate preamp also means you can bypass annoying sound engineers who want you to DI from before the stage amp too - you set the amp flat and use your preamp pedal for your tone :).
    I can’t remember the last time I used an amp for FOH sound - only for monitoring....
    Bridgehouse said:

I can’t remember the last time I used an amp for FOH sound - only for monitoring....
    You must not play any crappy small gigs with a PA that can't handle proper bass then :).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Bridgehouse said:

You must not play any crappy small gigs with a PA that can't handle proper bass then :).
    Most of my gigs are at “top class” venues. 

Ahem.