Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Does Anybody REALLY consider their strings?

What's Hot

Comments

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    I am a long-time Ernie Ball Regular Slinky user.

I've just switched to the Curt Mangan Matt Schofield signature sets, and I really like them. They're nominally 11s, but with lighter middle strings. The gauges are:

11-14-18-28-38-54 - Curt Mangan Matt Schofield Signature
    11-15-22-30-42-54 - Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky
    10-13-17-26-36-46 - Ernie Ball Regular Slinky

As you can see, the middle four strings of the CM set are roughly halfway between the EB Regular & Beefy.

As I said, I really like how they feel. Time will tell how long they last.

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1687
    edited October 2018

Blind test, perhaps if played on the same guitar with the sane amp settings. Best way to do it would be to record, which I may just do at some point like I did with tubes.

Pyramid make the Monels I use, however i think a few companies are making them now
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    I haven't actually used that many different strings on my own guitars because I very rarely change them, but as a repairer I've strung guitars for customers with just about everything you can imagine.

My main observations are that I detest all coated strings, I'm not very keen on stainless steel on electrics, and that D'Addarios seem to be the most consistent.

For acoustic I much prefer phosphor bronze to 80/20, and I don't like Monel - it just sounds like electric guitar strings on an acoustic.

Everything else... doesn't matter that much. There are differences, but overall I'm happy with any of the main brands, plus a couple of the smaller makers. My favourites are Newtones and DRs, but if I can't get those I use D'Addarios normally.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    Nah I settled with daddarios. Pick up a ten pack every year from the guitar show. I don't mind Ernie balls. I find ghs a bit too bright and I've never been that impressed by rotosounds. 
    It's more about gauge and price for me.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • darrenpdarrenp Frets: 116
    I tried a fair few different brands over the years and eventually settled on D'Addario, as they were consistently good, easy to get hold of and sensibly priced.

However, after consistently disliking any coated strings I've tried in the past, I picked up some Optiwebs when they were first launched and I'm now a complete convert. Sound great, feel great and last significantly longer than the D'Addarios I was using previously. 
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • Like 10s on 25” or 25.5” scale guitars. Sometimes 11s on 24.75”. I kill strings with oil/sweat so had to use Elixir and I like them a lot now. 
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 651
    Been using Picato Flatwound 11s for a few years now... they never seem to break so I never change them, must be 2 years now since last change.
  • Try bass... one set, forever. Job done. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3039
    Tried all sorts and I think I'm settled on Elixir nanowebs. 

The cheap £3-£4 Legacy strings are great too 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    D’Addario 10-46 on all Electrics for me.... Got  a great deal on 12 sets last Christmas. They seem to tune up really quickly from new, without lots of stretching and faffing for ages. Never break and last ages  :)
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    edited October 2018
    I've only ever used Regular Slinkys s

Never tried anything else.

• tekbowtekbow Frets: 1687

Good point, some strings do stretch out faster than others.

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    D'addario 10-46s on everything for me if in standard. Maybe thicker on the bottom (10-52) if I'm tuning down, or down to 11s for drop C.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Try bass... one set, forever. Job done. 
    You have much to learn young Padawan. Bass string choice is far more controversial and argument causing than guitar strings. 

For a start off you have to pin your colours to the flats rounds or tape camp, and then once there there’s the whole brand, gauge and tension debate.

In the bass world we can’t even agree on the right number to buy
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Picato 10’s On all electrics and 12 phosphor bronze on all acoustics been like that for the last 
    12 years or so, I was given a set of elixirs once they lasted 20 minutes befor changing back to Picato’s
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    I tried a bunch of different materials, brands etc. 

Cobalts, liked the way they felt, Elixirs, liked the way they felt, but a bit pricey both of them. 

Usually stick with Ernie Ball hybrids. 

They all sound the same to me lol!
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • 10 D'Ads on Gibson's. 10 Ernies on Fenders. 40 Swing on bass. 
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Ernie Ball Super Slinkies.

I've never really tried anything else, never really felt the need to, not sure it would make much difference with my playing anyway!

• KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    I put 10s on standard tuned guitars and 13s on my lower tuned ones.