Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Glastonbury 2019....

What's Hot

Comments

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8175
    Sleeping in tents surrounded by pissed rich people, wading through mud, not showering for three days, shitting in a hole in the ground, queuing for a week to get in/out.

Yep. It certainly sounds like an experience. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    Hattigol said:
    Sleeping in tents surrounded by pissed rich people, wading through mud, not showering for three days, shitting in a hole in the ground, queuing for a week to get in/out.

Yep. It certainly sounds like an experience. 
    Blimey nothing like that. Not from what I've seen anyway. 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I think it's about 25 years since I went but even then I wasn't bothered about the headliners ( Shakespeare's Sister FFS)and quickly realised you make your own Glastonbury because there are so many things happening you create your own itinerary. 
    If you watch the main TV coverage it does it a bit of a disservice as it presents the main bands and it looks like it is all about cheering Dolly Parton but even just getting into what they usually have on iPlayer it's much wider than this and even that only skims the surface. 
    The faff and the expense now means it's a non starter for me but it's certainly an experience. 
    Even if the headliners were announced beforehand and it was someone I was a big fan of in practice I'm probably better off seeing them elsewhere in concert conditions with their own partisan crowd. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    Kitsune said:
    My favourite week of the year. There is nowhere that compares to it. No ticket so far, fingers crossed again in April. 
    I'd say the seventh circle of hell is a fair comparison.

Nuke the place from orbit, its the only way to be sure.
    So you don't like it then? ;)
    I went in 2003, as my wife wanted to go. Maybe 2004 - which ever year was Radiohead.

I don;t see what the fuss is all about, I've been to far better festivals but without the smug self satisfaction and much much better music.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    am going, mainstage(s) acts is a lottery I agree, but usually same as most other festivals for any given year. It's the 14 other stages where the uniqueness and good stuff is.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:
    am going, mainstage(s) acts is a lottery I agree, but usually same as most other festivals for any given year. It's the 14 other stages where the uniqueness and good stuff is.
    Absolutely this 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    I've always wanted to go but I've never booked a festival ticket without knowing who's playing .... I get the whole festival experience and all that but part of that is knowing your gonna be enjoying a band you love alongside 100, 000 like minded people as well as the craic of camping and nosing around all the stands and small stages 
    I really enjoyed Rambling Man this year .... weather was superb, all the stages had shit hot sound, didn't have to stand in line for half an hour to get a beer or have a piss. Camping was well thought out and effortless. 
    Victorious festival is great as well ... I can ride to it in half an hour and bury by alcohol stash a couple of weeks before they fence everything off so it's just a £45 ticket which for all the bands on offer is quite a good deal. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Glastonbury is one of the few you can bring your own booze to, bars and toilets everywhere. Gets bonkers when the main stages have a changeover, but easily avoided

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • I went in 2000 as one of the last of the gatecrashers - it was so easy to climb over the fence. You could also pay someone a tenner to let you through a hole they had made in the fence! There were 250,000 there and only 100k tickets sold.  It was ridiculously full, a lot of dodgy people around and did not feel safe so it had to change. There were no gaps between any of the tents and it took about an hour or two to get from one stage to the other. I've enjoyed other festivals more, my memories are vague but seeing Bowie was amazing. I prefer smaller festivals now, eg Greenman, Festival 6.
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    Supernormal is my festival of choice, if going outdoors.
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1527
    edited October 2018
    I went in 2000 as one of the last of the gatecrashers - it was so easy to climb over the fence. You could also pay someone a tenner to let you through a hole they had made in the fence! There were 250,000 there and only 100k tickets sold.  It was ridiculously full, a lot of dodgy people around and did not feel safe so it had to change. There were no gaps between any of the tents and it took about an hour or two to get from one stage to the other. I've enjoyed other festivals more, my memories are vague but seeing Bowie was amazing. I prefer smaller festivals now, eg Greenman, Festival 6.
    Some of my fondest memories of glastonbury in the 90's are actually from the adventure of trying to get in, and teaming up and befriending people with the same plan. We usually failed miserably to scale the fence or find a hole in it, too drunk probably, but as a last resort there was always some dodgy hoodie wearers near the gate that would stamp your hand for £10, and they would go through the gate in front of you to prove it worked. 

I dont know if that still goes on, haven't been for a long time.
    I went in 2000 as one of the last of the gatecrashers - it was so easy to climb over the fence. You could also pay someone a tenner to let you through a hole they had made in the fence! There were 250,000 there and only 100k tickets sold.  It was ridiculously full, a lot of dodgy people around and did not feel safe so it had to change. There were no gaps between any of the tents and it took about an hour or two to get from one stage to the other. I've enjoyed other festivals more, my memories are vague but seeing Bowie was amazing. I prefer smaller festivals now, eg Greenman, Festival 6.
    Some of my fondest memories of glastonbury in the 90's are actually from the adventure of trying to get in. Teaming up and befriending people with the same plan. We usually failed miserably to scale the fence or find a hole in it, but as a last resort there was always some dodgy hoodie wearers near the gate that would stamp your hand for £10, and they would go through the gate in front of you to prove it worked. 

I dont know if that still goes on, haven't been for a long time.
    Lol fat chance of that. It's a well oiled machine which is what I love about it. To have manage nearly 200 thousand peeps is simply quite amazing. I never see any trouble there and if I saw someone hopping over the fence I'd shop 'em ;)
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1527
    edited October 2018
    I think I did see a fight break out during the prodigy set once, but then all the knobheads do seem to come out of the woodwork for that band, wherever they play. I have "accidentally" watched them a few times at festivals or as a support act.
  • Hattigol said:
    Never fancied it. Too many Guardian-reading show offs stroking their beards and eulogising how wonderful the experience is.
    It's got to be better than a field full of Sun-reading punters ;) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12254
    I've been a few times and always had a good time, can't be bothered to sleep in a tent or not poo for 5 days any more. Everyone is right the best stuff is round the edges away from the main stages. up towards the tor where the crazies go is a unique experience, I saw a chap dressed as jesus one year with a life size wooden cross with a wheel which he was dragging round the festival. I got away with the weather each time I went some of my mates went every year and after the repeated drenchings eventually abandoned it. A friend of mine lives in the village and got free tickets in 2004 for donating 3 hours to the timebank. His job was to drive to exeter airport and collect radiohead in a van.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    edited October 2018
    I went in the early 90s. Can’t remember exactly, but the Cure were headlining. I quite liked it, as others have said you don’t really get the feel of the whole thing from just watching on telly.

I wouldn’t go again though, partly because I’m too old to sleep in a field nowadays, but mostly because my ex and her nob-end of a husband are there every time as part of the clean up crew. 
    boogieman said:
    I went in the early 90s. Can’t remember exactly, but the Cure were headlining. I quite liked it, as others have said you don’t really get the feel of the whole thing from just watching on telly.

I wouldn’t go again though, partly because I’m too old to sleep in a field nowadays, but mostly because my ex and her nob-end of a husband are there every time as part of the clean up crew. 
    You'll be gone by the time the clean up crew move in /) Don't let the past stop you from enjoying the future matey :(

i dont camp either so i usually spring a tent up by the campervan frwinda i have who go every year. I'm too old for camping on mass now too lol
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4254
    The Bowie year was particularly mad. Although I recall it was pretty mental the years I went prior to that as well, and always felt dodgy. The whole out of control, lawless thing was what I associated with Glastonbury. Part of the appeal to me in my misguided youth. I reckon if you didn't go 2000 or before, then you haven't really experienced the real Glastonbury, and it definitely won't be coming back. I have had many means of entry. Over the wall on a rope ladder (usually put there by scousers), under it in a tunnel (usually dug by scousers), dodgy hand stamp (scousers). Only thing I never tried, was buying a ticket.  =)
    CloudNine said:
    The Bowie year was particularly mad. Although I recall it was pretty mental the years I went prior to that as well, and always felt dodgy. The whole out of control, lawless thing was what I associated with Glastonbury. Part of the appeal to me in my misguided youth. I reckon if you didn't go 2000 or before, then you haven't really experienced the real Glastonbury, and it definitely won't be coming back. I have had many means of entry. Over the wall on a rope ladder (usually put there by scousers), under it in a tunnel (usually dug by scousers), dodgy hand stamp (scousers). Only thing I never tried, was buying a ticket.  =)
    I think I'll stick to the current methods then LOL
  • Just tell me the "toilets" have improved since the 90's...