Why do les pauls come in 2 halves?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    I'm always intrigued when I see a two or three piece body.  HTF do you glue bits of wood together, essentially, end to end or side to side?  Surely it cannot be the strongest bond ever?

Even my old breadboard has those wiggly nail/staple like things in it to hold the pieces together .
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    rlw said:
    I'm always intrigued when I see a two or three piece body.  HTF do you glue bits of wood together, essentially, end to end or side to side?  Surely it cannot be the strongest bond ever?

Even my old breadboard has those wiggly nail/staple like things in it to hold the pieces together .
    A perfectly-fitting join with modern glue is as strong as the wood. They machine the faces very flat to begin with, then apply enough pressure to completely close up any gaps, which works because wood is slightly compressible.

If your breadboard has the wiggly nail things then it's just a cheap one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    rlw said:

Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking to start with. 

• I've got a one piece cap now on a burst I'm building , fantastic looking top but wasn't cheap, they don't seem very common

Er... Is there a build progress thread for this?  Because I am I N T E R E S T E D !!!   =) =) =)  
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    ICBM said:
    rlw said:

A perfectly-fitting join with modern glue is as strong as the wood. They machine the faces very flat to begin with, then apply enough pressure to completely close up any gaps, which works because wood is slightly compressible.

If your breadboard has the wiggly nail things then it's just a cheap one.
    ....or about 70 years old......
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • My 1978 Les Paul Deluxe has. 3 piece top.  This wasn’t unusual on 70s  Gibson Les Pauls,
    Fender weren’t the only USA guitar manufacturer cutting corners in order to save money in the 70s.
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    I actually prefer the look of two piece tops in general.

The PRS posted just looks way over the top to me and it does nothing for me.

However, the one piece top from @customkits looks really good because it's almost like a two piece top with similar sides but without the join.

It looks classier to me than the PRS! That will be a nice guitar.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    ...does having a one piece body make you play it any better??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
     It might do....if you felt you looked better you might play with more confidence and there mitt be 0.001% more sustain from having unbrokenwood fibres running through the body ;)
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    57Deluxe said:
    I don’t know, I’ll just cut myself in half and see if that makes me play any worse.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I got a load of stick for it in the Peach R8 thread but the centre join line on any guitar really puts me off. Even if it is a super historic Tom Morello ultra rare aged book matched flame top. Give me solid colours or plain tops any day. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    edited October 2018 tFB Trader

I've got a one piece cap now on a burst I'm building , fantastic looking top but wasn't cheap, they don't seem very common

Er... Is there a build progress thread for this?  Because I am I N T E R E S T E D !!!    
    No not really because it's in a batch of 4 I'm doing, this one isn't a commission yet but did it because it's going to be interesting, i might post up some finished shots etc

It's been carved and the mortice is done and I've got the neck tenon virtually done, just 3 more to get done

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • customkits said:

...it's in a batch of 4 I'm doing, this one isn't a commission yet but did it because it's going to be interesting, i might post up some finished shots etc... 
    Brilliant!

That's four build progress threads then!

=)  =) =)
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader
    customkits said:

...it's in a batch of 4 I'm doing, this one isn't a commission yet but did it because it's going to be interesting, i might post up some finished shots etc... 
    Brilliant!

That's four build progress threads then!

=)  =) =)
    No not this time, too much to do, i think we're doing a poopot jr build thread from a beginner to luthier in a couple of weeks  =)
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • I'm not sure how much it matters.  I'd actually say what I've found with necks is I'd actually prefer it to be multiple pieces deliberately so the neck can be more rigid - but I do accept that will change the tone and response.  It just happens I seem to prefer that.
  • Front half and back half?!  B)
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    Damn, this is nice, and not too scary a price for a one piece top from PRS!

(bloody 24 fret though)

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/180925333028006-2062439--prs-custom-24-charcoal-one-piece-top-pattern-thin-25772