NPD - El Capistan

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Gagaryn said:
    JezWynd said:
    Gagaryn said:
    I love my El Cap, had it longer than any other pedal. Replaced a RE-201which I don't miss.
    I love the RE-201 but I have been wondering about changing it for something smaller with similar functionality. I was thinking of the Echorec, would the El Cap do similar things?
    An El Cap makes an excellent replacement for a RE201. It lacks the bass and treble controls but you can get similar results from the tape age knob and low age contour secondary function. It can be made to sound remarkably similar - like really similar! Main differences are the El Cap has less noise and a better reverb -  didn't really use any of the reverb settings on the 201s.

I had three 201's at one point. I had planned on keeping one but the El Cap really did make them redundant - admittedly I was swayed by the prices I got offered for them. Don't know what they sell for now but mine all sold for between 800 and 900 each which was too much money to give up for what was a very nice shelf ornament. They are cool though and I enjoyed tinkering with them for a while but the novelty wore off.
    The RE-201 I referred to was the Boss pedal; sounds like you had the original tape machines. They modelled the reverb on the pedal to match the original unit very exactly apparently - it certainly has limited charm. Thanks for the info, I'll look out for an El Capistan.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's a great pedal; I bought mine to replace my Flashback x4 and have never looked back.  But then I only use a bit of slapback or a modest long delay.
    Don't let your mind post toastee - like a lot of my friends did!
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    JezWynd said:
    Gagaryn said:
    JezWynd said:
    Gagaryn said:
    I love my El Cap, had it longer than any other pedal. Replaced a RE-201which I don't miss.
    I love the RE-201 but I have been wondering about changing it for something smaller with similar functionality. I was thinking of the Echorec, would the El Cap do similar things?
    An El Cap makes an excellent replacement for a RE201. It lacks the bass and treble controls but you can get similar results from the tape age knob and low age contour secondary function. It can be made to sound remarkably similar - like really similar! Main differences are the El Cap has less noise and a better reverb -  didn't really use any of the reverb settings on the 201s.

I had three 201's at one point. I had planned on keeping one but the El Cap really did make them redundant - admittedly I was swayed by the prices I got offered for them. Don't know what they sell for now but mine all sold for between 800 and 900 each which was too much money to give up for what was a very nice shelf ornament. They are cool though and I enjoyed tinkering with them for a while but the novelty wore off.
    The RE-201 I referred to was the Boss pedal; sounds like you had the original tape machines. They modelled the reverb on the pedal to match the original unit very exactly apparently - it certainly has limited charm. Thanks for the info, I'll look out for an El Capistan.
    think that's an re20 - hence my confusion. Not tried one of them.