New Gibson Day (no R8 or R9 content...)

What's Hot
Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22515
Here's something I've been after for a few years.... a Gibson Custom Shop Lee Roy Parnell Signature CS-336.

It's taken over a month to arrive from the USA - most of that time spent in Customs - so it was nice just to see the box had no massive dents in it when it arrived this morning.

There's not much information about these on the internet, all I know is they were built in 2003 and 2004, in very limited quantities - some sources say as few as 25, certainly no more than 75, so it's a pretty rare thing.  I don't know much about Lee Roy Parnell either, he's a country/blues singer-songwriter but I've never heard any of his work.

It's a CS-336, so a hollowed-out mahogany body and carved maple top, not laminated like an ES-339 or ES-335.  Vintage-style tuners, PAF-style pickups (I don't know if they're 57s or Burstbuckers).  After that, the specs get a little more unusual:

It has a VOS finish, which I don't think had been seen on a CS-336 at that point.  I've learned from a Gibson forum that a previous owner of this guitar had polished it to a high gloss, but it's re-acquired a bit of a patina (and a fair few scuffs and scrapes) over the years since.

The bridge and tailpiece are TonePros, which I wasn't expecting.  I don't know if they're original or not.  I also think the nut may be a replacement, it seems like it's had more attention than a typical Gibson nut.

What really made me want one of these?  It has a fat '50s neck, rather than the slim taper of a typical CS-336.  It also has an ebony fretboard, which goes very well with the black finish.  As it turns out, the neck isn't huge - I guess it's '59-ish, rather than '58-ish.  Feels good though!

At the moment, this feels very much like "somebody else's guitar" (the seller had owned it since 2006, the receipt's in the case!).... but I think I like it.

(Photos from Reverb, I hope they'll be visible)

0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26743
    That’s awesome. Properly awesome.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Very nice Phil, loving that!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26743
    Also, dibs please, just in case you ever want to sell it. It'd make a fine brother for my regular 336 :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Very nice looking guitar. I’m green with envy.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22515
    Thanks chaps.

Also, dibs please, just in case you ever want to sell it. It'd make a fine brother for my regular 336 :)
    No immediate plans! :)   I have another 336 too, a very blingy one with a figured top.  Must say I'm more comfortable with the subdued look....
  • That’s just a little bit tasty. Congrats :)
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 491
    Nice!
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    ooooh I've seen that on Ebay a few times and it's definitely a rare one! Good score
  • frownfrown Frets: 32
    If I had one like that, I'd slap some nickel knobs on it and be very happy with it - nice axe!
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 782
    Beautiful.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27569
    That is pretty nice - a lot nicer than the CS-336 I owned briefly. All the binding is the same colour for starters.

I would second the suggestion of nickel knobs. Or black.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    tFB Trader

Beaut! Looks fabulous.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22515
    edited October 2018
    cbellanga said:
    ooooh I've seen that on Ebay a few times and it's definitely a rare one! Good score

Yeah, there have been a couple on eBay and I've been very tempted to buy, but both disappeared before the auctions ended.  The last one was in Japan earlier this year.

frown said:
    If I had one like that, I'd slap some nickel knobs on it and be very happy with it - nice axe!

I am planning to put some SG style reflector knobs on it, not sure why LRP went for the amber ones.  Also some pointer washers, I like pointer washers....

Sporky said:
    That is pretty nice - a lot nicer than the CS-336 I owned briefly. All the binding is the same colour for starters.

I would second the suggestion of nickel knobs. Or black.
    Pictures can be deceptive of course, but yes, the binding is actually white, rather than the usual pinky-yellow-cheesy colour.  So it looks better with the all-black colour scheme.  And the white layers in the scratchplate don't clash with the binding!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27569
    Also sorry - when I said "pretty nice" I meant "very nice".

I come from a long tradition of not sounding very positive about things we like.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    That looks Amazing
    Red ones are better. 
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Beautiful - so sharp. Now you just need a matching tux. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom