GSP1101 Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    So my idea of using an amp channel switch stomp in ext 2 for your solo boost would probs be quite useful then ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Your other option if changing patches can be done with rottory on front if gsp is a one row midi foot switch 
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
    edited October 2018
    Sorry, didn't get that last comment...

[edit] Ah, ok - gotcha. You're saying I could ditch the control 2, use a one row midi switch to change parameters within a patch and just use the big knob on the front of the main unit to change patches...it's not a bad idea. I do find the control 2 setup a bit of a fiddle. There are a few points in songs where I need to switch things on and off, so I tend to hover my foot over the switch...really tricky to do if the switches are all on the back row.

I might just set it up so those particular changes are separate patches rather than changes within a patch.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    You could try an FCB1010 with the Uno chip. The stomp box mode allows the fx on/off switches to be either on the top or bottom row of switches.
    Sorry, didn't get that last comment...

[edit] Ah, ok - gotcha. You're saying I could ditch the control 2, use a one row midi switch to change parameters within a patch and just use the big knob on the front of the main unit to change patches...it's not a bad idea. I do find the control 2 setup a bit of a fiddle. There are a few points in songs where I need to switch things on and off, so I tend to hover my foot over the switch...really tricky to do if the switches are all on the back row.

I might just set it up so those particular changes are separate patches rather than changes within a patch.
    I do that with some.  It's not a bad idea cloning one ya want and making changes then save in next slot.  I tend to save em at start or end so same possition switches do same thing ie always two beside exp pedal.
    Last option could be the wee 3 button pedal you can plug into exp pedal socket in gsp.  I think you can program those to so anything too.  So like having 3 bespoke control buttons.
    I prefer control 2 to midi as know what's on and off without looking at rack
    edited October 2018
    So, I notice that some of the stock high gain presets that I think sound the most real area actually high gain pedals into clean amps...what do you guys use for high gain sounds?

[edit] although...the comparisons between the GSP1101 5150 amp model and the real thing are so impressive. I can barely tell them apart...I find that amp a bit bright though. Never tried the real one!

Also, which cabs or IRs do people use for going direct or recording?
    I'd look at the non modelled digitech metal amp models (ie ones not based on amp).  5150 (surely can dial tone to where ya need and or add eq pedal to achieve).  Also some of Messa models get to territory of higher gain.
    Digitech metal, monster, mosh etc

soldano, Messa boogie, 5150 are where I'd start
  • So, I notice that some of the stock high gain presets that I think sound the most real area actually high gain pedals into clean amps...what do you guys use for high gain sounds?

[edit] although...the comparisons between the GSP1101 5150 amp model and the real thing are so impressive. I can barely tell them apart...I find that amp a bit bright though. Never tried the real one!

Also, which cabs or IRs do people use for going direct or recording?
    On the flipside, for my White Stripes influenced bank of presets, instead of using a Big Muff on the fuzz preset, I use a Mesa Rectifier model.

I always use a Global Cab on a Redwirez Deluxe Reverb 1x12, I'd assume whichever of their mic options is the ribbon mic one
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    Personally if going direct for recording i'd leave IR's out the equation and apply them in the software afterwards so you can change em later to taste when have good monitor speakers or headphones on.
  • I'm using the IRs for going direct to FoH...or that is the intention. At the moment it is just going to Jamhub and then IEMs. I just got the ownhammer free Mesa 4x12 ones and I have been using one of them. They seem to be a bit fuller and more convincing than the stock ones...but not by a huge amount.

How about for Marshall tones? I seem to have settled on the JCM2000 model...which is interesting since my main gigging amp used to be a DSL50 head (until it exploded). Some of the lower gain ones sound quite convincing but I tend to find the JCM800/900 models just too middy and nasal.
  • mr-mac said:
    I prefer control 2 to midi as know what's on and off without looking at rack
    Yeah, it is great that it's so integrated with the unit but I am finding the control layout sub-optimal for me. At practice last night I kept changing patches when I went for the control button (which is where I have my solo boost atm). And the expression pedal is on the wrong side for me but that's another story :)

I think I either have to get a different controller or go patch-based, so I have a separate patch for each core sound with added volume +delay. 

edited October 2018
    Plug in an exp-2 pedal then and pop it on right side one of those things though its bot gonna take forever to get used to it.

Marshall then also jcm45 and make sure to try Digitech brown sound model and also try the redwirz free Marshall 4x12 or digitech vintage 4x12.  Remember you can get more than 128fs IR to work if your only using one side (not stereo).
  • Does using your right foot for expression duties not get in the way of your guitar-ing? I have to move my guitar to one side so I can move my leg freely. It's just not natural. You are all freaks. :)
    edited October 2018
    Anyone successfully use the G.I.R.L IR loader? I tried it today and it just kept hanging. I may have downloaded an old version or something...can someone point me at a reliable link? Thanks!

[edit] ...or a better loader? I have downloaded a few IRs now and trying them out is a bit of a tortuous process :)
    Yep I use girl, think it was downloaded from Facebook groups files section.
  • Nope - doesn't seem to connect. I installed the digitech USB driver...no joy. Darn.
    Strange.  pm me your email I'll mail over copy I use just in case its different.  Used fine on win10