Jam day - Factory Studios - BRISTOL - WESTERN JAM Edition - 8th June 2019

What's Hot

Comments

• JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    @Bridgehouse thanks for letting me know, its in the diary (Apple tell me this is also the Queen's Birthday, so count me in unless I get an invite to the party at palace)
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    @Bridgehouse - stick me on the list for this please.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    TADodger said:
    @Bridgehouse - stick me on the list for this please.
    Done
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 88
    @TADodger - great to have you onboard for this. Looking forward to catching up at Quad!
    @Brocco - We have family in Bristol, so it seemed remiss not to Ian. Yes, it will be good to catch up and Leicester has some good new songs on the list.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Ok, I’ll join in with this. I could even contribute some more distinctly average bass playing if that’d be helpful.
    @mart, great to have you onboard. There is usually plenty of scope at these events to have a go at most things, so am sure you will have the opportunity to play some bass if you would like to. 

All - please look out for more communication in the New Year.
    @Brocco - keep the updates coming mate. I'm not local, but in Bristol on and off, so if I can help, let me know..

Tim
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 403
    This looks like being my nearest FB event.  Could someone explain the basic setup - or point me to a link.  Do we just turn up? What do we bring? Do we know in advance what we might be playing?  Does everyone stay for the duration? etc etc
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    uncledick said:
    This looks like being my nearest FB event. Could someone explain the basic setup - or point me to a link.  Do we just turn up? What do we bring? Do we know in advance what we might be playing?  Does everyone stay for the duration? etc etc
    Judging by the opening post of this Discussion, @Brocco and @fandango are the people who may be able to enlighten you. 

Judging by the second post, nobody who has expressed an interest in attending has pre-paid the necessary £27 fee. 

Debate about possible material to be performed appeared to peter out last October. 

Thread starter and former-organiser, Bridgehouse, got royally pissed off with being taken for granted in early December and absented himself. (I may have contributed to this but have been too wrapped up in my own problems to notice until this week.) 

The foundation for events such as this are a good drummer and bass guitarist. I am uncertain about who amongst the Confirmed Attendees are bassists and would have the time, patience or inclination to learn the proper bass lines for whatever songs end up on the agreed play list. Less experienced attendees will probably be depending on the jam session performances conforming fairly closely to the famous recorded versions of the material in question.

Without Bridgehouse (or somebody very like him), the entire edifice is in danger of collapse. 

Be seeing you.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    uncledick said:
    This looks like being my nearest FB event. Could someone explain the basic setup - or point me to a link.  Do we just turn up? What do we bring? Do we know in advance what we might be playing?  Does everyone stay for the duration? etc etc
    Judging by the opening post of this Discussion, @Brocco and @fandango are the people who may be able to enlighten you. 

Judging by the second post, nobody who has expressed an interest in attending has pre-paid the necessary £27 fee. 

Debate about possible material to be performed appeared to peter out last October. 

Thread starter and former-organiser, Bridgehouse, got royally pissed off with being taken for granted in early December and absented himself. (I may have contributed to this but have been too wrapped up in my own problems to notice until this week.) 

The foundation for events such as this are a good drummer and bass guitarist. I am uncertain about who amongst the Confirmed Attendees are bassists and would have the time, patience or inclination to learn the proper bass lines for whatever songs end up on the agreed play list. Less experienced attendees will probably be depending on the jam session performances conforming fairly closely to the famous recorded versions of the material in question.

Without Bridgehouse (or somebody very like him), the entire edifice is in danger of collapse. 

The event is in June 2019, and was announced 10 months in advance, to give everyone plenty of notice.

We haven’t sorted payment provision yet.

As for song choice, we never really got this started, but once someone has paid they would be able to suggest their three songs. We would start a separate thread for that. It’s a bit premature to be talking songs without having paid.

I agree that a drummer and bass are key, and appreciate the greater challenge is finding a bass player/players. 

However, both @brocco and I would like to see/hear far more interest in this Bristol jam now that we’re into 2019.

And we would like others to step up and help out with organisation, please. It would make the jam better.
    @uncledick - these events combine an agreed running order in a live room based on a track list agreed by those who are participating songs with onformal opportunities to jam informally in other rooms. There is usually no difficulty in finding willing bass players or attracting a (paid) drummer. I have found these events to be friendly and supportive, and @fandango and I remain keen to see this event happen. Hope you decde to join us!
    Apologies for the sloppiness...
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2992
    edited January 2019
    Put my name down, sounds great. It's four hours away but I can stay with my bro in Cardiff. Not jammed for many years, put me in the lack of experience category!
    @MagicPigDetective - great to have you onboard, you are sure to enjoy yourself! 
  • nickpnickp Frets: 182
    I'm selfishly just putting a marker on this thread as I've just found it - it depends if I'm here or away abroad with family stuff - great idea tho folks

thanks Nick - would you prefer to be first name down on the reserve list or have your name added to the the main session list?
    Brocco said:
    thanks Nick - would you prefer to be first name down on the reserve list or have your name added to the the main session list?

within a couple of day's I'll know if we are here or away - got to go to the US for a graduation thing - I'll let you know

cheers
    @Brocco ; - sorry will have to give a miss as get back from this trip on the 9th :(  
    Things have been a little quiet on this thread for a while, and thought now that we are only 3 months away out from the first official tFB jam in the West Country, we need to get a move on!  There are three points/actions we are requesting your help with:

1. request that everyone who currently has their name down for this event reconfirms that you are still up for it and submits payment of £27 to @fandango by emailing: jamsouthwest.tfb@musician.org

2. we need about 25 paying players for this event to be viable - request your help in getting the word out to anyone you know who may be interested/close enough

3. we all want these events to be enjoyable, but these events don't run themselves - currently we don't have enough volunteers - please consider stepping forward as this is a not-for-profit event run by volunteers!

This discussion has been closed.