The secret to good tone is...

What's Hot

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    1) Lists
    2) Exceptions to the rule.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    ... secret sauce.
    Want to know what it is?
    Can't tell you- it is a secret.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Distortion

ALL OF THE FUCKING GAIN YOU CAN MUSTER

And delay.  And modulation.  Any kind - phaser, chorus, flanger... Or a combintation.  In front of dirt.  

And gain.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    You forgot volume.

Volume IS tone. Ask Eddie Van Halen.

Or Ted Nugent.

On second thoughts, perhaps best not to ask Ted.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Distortion

ALL OF THE FUCKING GAIN YOU CAN MUSTER

And delay.  And modulation.  Any kind - phaser, chorus, flanger... Or a combintation.  In front of dirt.  

And gain.
    You sound like the guitarist from my old band!
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Left-hand/palm muting
    EQing where the 'gap' in the band is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554

1. Great technique - Most importantly in-tune bending, and vocal like vibrato.

2. Playing interesting notes/rhythms - The guitarists I think of as having great tone, often have something of a swing to their playing.

• matt1973matt1973 Frets: 385
    1. Talent
    2. Hard work
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Good old fashioned spunk.
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

Sausage fingers
    6 strings on a 7 string fret board
    Single coil in a humbucker rout

Simples ... :-S
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2324
    1: good playing

2: good (suitable) gear

So yeah basically anything anyone can say about guitar playing is covered by those two options. :D
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    edited April 2014
    JDE;203999" said:
    Touch. I don't agree that you can't get good tone without good gear. Your touch is what makes you sound like you. I watched that Knopfler doc about his 6 or 7 guitars that were most important to him. He started off playing some cheap (and probably awful) Strat-style copy. He plugged in and... sounded exactly like Mark Knopfler. That's all touch.
    IIRC it was a Hofner V2. Bloody awful things but he made it sound great.

IMHO, nice guitars and amps 'nuance' your tone but the core of what you sound like comes from the hands.

I have told this story before but I know someone who attended the NAMM show many years ago when Gibson launched their (solid state) Lab Series amps.

They had B B King, Robben Ford and Larry Carlton on the stand, handing a brand new, stock 335 to each other, plugged into the Lab Series, playing over a twelve-bar backing.

The way he tells it, is that without adjusting the amp in any way, each sounded exactly like themselves when playing the same guitar.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    1. Dumble
    2. Klon

If you ain't got the above two pieces of kit in your arsenal then you are but a tone-pretender. Internet FACT!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    dindude said:
    1. Dumble
    2. Klon

If you ain't got the above two pieces of kit in your arsenal then you are but a tone-pretender. Internet FACT!
    I find it very amusing that one of the most common descriptions for pedals on the internet is "dumble like" which even if it were true is completely useless as virtually no one has actually played one. 
    It's a bit like saying this bottle of Burgundy from Asda is remenicant of a 1977 Henri Jayer Richebourg Grand Cru. 
  • Tone is what the piece of music demands.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    I think good tone is one of those things that you just arrive at over time. Well for me it was. Context in the mix is important as well. Tone is one of those subjective terms, and specific to the individual. If I'm in a good mood and everything is good, i have a good tone. If i can't settle and relax then I generally find my tone sucks.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited April 2014
    richardhomer said: JDE;203999" said:Touch. I don't agree that you can't get good tone without good gear. Your touch is what makes you sound like you. I watched that Knopfler doc about his 6 or 7 guitars that were most important to him. He started off playing some cheap (and probably awful) Strat-style copy. He plugged in and... sounded exactly like Mark Knopfler. That's all touch. IIRC it was a Hofner V2. Bloody awful things but he made it sound great.

IMHO, nice guitars and amps 'nuance' your tone but the core of what you sound like comes from the hands.

I have told this story before but I know someone who attended the NAMM show many years ago when Gibson launched their (solid state) Lab Series amps.

They had B B King, Robben Ford and Larry Carlton on the stand, handing a brand new, stock 335 to each other, plugged into the Lab Series, playing over a twelve-bar backing.

The way he tells it, is that without adjusting the amp in any way, each sounded exactly like themselves when playing the same guitar.

You *could* say that is more technique. What if they all strummed the same chord in the same fashion on
    different guitars?

You can talk about colour "tones" but you probably wouldn't say the "tone" is in the painters hands.

Not that it matters as it's all pish anyway.>:D<
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2866
    An MDP special bridge.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5833
    1. Technique/Touch(Fingers etc)

2. Know-HowKnowing what gear you require to achieve your desired goal, knowing what your tone/tones are. So good tone is not necessarily a given Guitar, Amp or Pedal, more a case of doing your homework to a certain extent instead of rushing out to buy any old popular brand of Guitar, Amp or Pedals only to discover you hate the sound of it/them.

:-B
    Only a Fool Would Say That.