The FB BJJ / MA Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
    Fuengi said:
    Trying and failing to find a suitable tape to tape my fingers up for BJJ. What does anyone recommend?
    Just get zinc oxide tape. Amazon do packs for not much money. Get 1.25 for fingers and 2.5 for thumbs and toes etc. If you have a bad wrist 5cm is good for that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Holy crap, I get a whack on the head tonight at BJJ. I was rolling in the corner of the mat, just gripping for an armbar and the pair next to us flew over & I got a heel full pelt on the forehead, just over my eye. Instant swelling.

I think not seeing it coming made it much worse. Hurt like flip. Don't think I'm concussed! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12253
    Fuengi said:
    Holy crap, I get a whack on the head tonight at BJJ. I was rolling in the corner of the mat, just gripping for an armbar and the pair next to us flew over & I got a heel full pelt on the forehead, just over my eye. Instant swelling.

I think not seeing it coming made it much worse. Hurt like flip. Don't think I'm concussed! 
    With the greatest of sympathy mate you know we need swelling pics!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    munckee said:
    Fuengi said:

With the greatest of sympathy mate you know we need swelling pics!
    It's surprisingly difficult to take a photo of your own forehead that don't look freakishly strange! 

I've got a nice red mark where it landed and although the swelling has reduced it's like a solid half egg. 

That's the best I can do! 

Going for the brush down fringe today.
  • Hope you're ok. 
    Showing up to work with random injuries is part & parcel of doing what MrsLostSon calls "stupid sports". I rarely get visible bruises, but it always seems to be before things I need to look presentable for! 

I started a new job not that long ago & had my 6 month review with my manager, his boss & several stakeholders. I turned up with an amazing black eye... Which no one mentioned until 30mins in when the most senior person there suddenly burst out
    "OK. ENOUGH. When the hell is someone going to tell me what happened to your face?!"

MrsLostSon has banned me from training a week before any family function after I was best man at my brother's wedding with a shiner. 

Worst is broken ribs- no visible damage & phenomenal pain ALL THE TIME! 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Hope you're ok. 
    Showing up to work with random injuries is part & parcel of doing what MrsLostSon calls "stupid sports". I rarely get visible bruises, but it always seems to be before things I need to look presentable for! 

I started a new job not that long ago & had my 6 month review with my manager, his boss & several stakeholders. I turned up with an amazing black eye... Which no one mentioned until 30mins in when the most senior person there suddenly burst out
    "OK. ENOUGH. When the hell is someone going to tell me what happened to your face?!"

MrsLostSon has banned me from training a week before any family function after I was best man at my brother's wedding with a shiner. 

Thanks, I'm fine although it was quite a shock when it happened.

Fortunately, I work for myself. Have a couple of important client meetings on Monday so hopefully it's gone or significantly reduced by then. 
    Well currently have my dominant hand in a plaster cast. Imagine trying to give stern technical advice to the higher ups whilst also giving a constant thumbs up. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4286
    Hope you're ok. 

Ah, broken ribs! 

You dont believe that laying down or breathing can hurt, until you’ve experienced it. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

Yeah broken ribs during hay fever season is not nice. 
    The Belt System:

I've been rolling a lot recently and doing plenty of yoga and it's definitely starting to pay off.

Last night I rolled with a two stripe white belt and dominated him. Then a one stripe WB and tapped him out with an armbar from mount. Then a no stripe WB who I had in a horrible mount position but timed out a short round before going for the finish. 

Afterwards I should have been delighted with my progress but instead I was just wondering why I wasn't getting my first stripe. I know the prof was monitoring me because he asked me to go through a couple of drills, and told me to take a round off from sparring - I was thinking he was going to roll with me as a test. But didn't.

If the belt promotion system wasn't a thing I'd have really enjoyed it more, but on the other side I'm more determined to keep progressing. 
    edited October 2018
    Fuengi said:
    The Belt System:

I've been rolling a lot recently and doing plenty of yoga and it's definitely starting to pay off.

Last night I rolled with a two stripe white belt and dominated him. Then a one stripe WB and tapped him out with an armbar from mount. Then a no stripe WB who I had in a horrible mount position but timed out a short round before going for the finish. 

Afterwards I should have been delighted with my progress but instead I was just wondering why I wasn't getting my first stripe. I know the prof was monitoring me because he asked me to go through a couple of drills, and told me to take a round off from sparring - I was thinking he was going to roll with me as a test. But didn't.

If the belt promotion system wasn't a thing I'd have really enjoyed it more, but on the other side I'm more determined to keep progressing. 
    There’s no stripe on my WB either but it’ll come. Don’t chase the belt. Enjoy it for what it is. 
    Ive seen WB’s beat BLues in timed matches. Ruined the Blues night when he should have took it as a lesson to improve. He wasted time on his ego by refusing to pull guard and going for the take down, he didn’t know the WB was a brown in Judo. 

Leave the ego  at the door. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebob said:
    Fuengi said:
    The Belt System:

There’s no stripe on my WB either but it’ll come. Don’t chase the belt. Enjoy it for what it is. 
    Ive seen WB’s beat BLues in timed matches. Ruined the Blues night when he should have took it as a lesson to improve. He wasted time on his ego by refusing to pull guard and going for the take down, he didn’t know the WB was a brown in Judo. 

I've been doing no-gi (think I've donned the pyjamas twice in 7years). I've no idea what belt I am & am not really worried about it. 
    I just roll with folk & see what happens. I'm more concerned with my own performance. I know I can tap most blue belts & survive with purples, but as no one wears a belt there's no indication of how good someone is till you start. 

The lack of ambition is a conscious thing on my part- I refuse to do competitions too despite pressure/encouragment from coaches. I played other sports to a high level & was determined that BJJ would just be for fun & fitness. If I compete I'll get competitive & lose some of the fun. 

Trust your instructor. Your time WILL come. 
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    grungebob said:
    Fuengi said:
    The Belt System:

Our school only uses stripes of red on a black belt... No stripes on any other belt, you just go from white to blue when you're consistently owning the white belts and bring a challenge to the blues... 
    So, this happened tonight;

2 stripes on my white belt. https://imgur.com/gallery/unB7FBD

It feels like a real reward for the effort I've been putting in. Delighted, but just want to keep going... 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fuengi said:

It feels like a real reward for the effort I've been putting in. Delighted, but just want to keep going... 
    Congratulations! Your coach was obviously watching you the other night. Maybe he'd just forgotten his tape! 

I had an interesting session yesterday. I tapped everyone I rolled with, including two HUGE & experienced guys- 6'5" 115+kg!! That's 40kg more than me. but I left unhappy with my performance. I'd won by using my "go to" moves & not been able to incorporate the lesson into my rolling. I just felt frustrated. 
    Weird. 
    @fuengi wow congratulations dude, I bet he just forgot his tape the other night. 
    Keep it up. 
    @stimpsonslostson wow sounds like you smashed everyone. I agree that it’s always nice to use that nights lesson in a roll but often times everyone’s so in tune with it that their defence is on point.  I’m guessing you used your go to moves as you have the technique down and therefore use less effort in applying them, isn’t that what we’re all trying to achieve, the ability to submit our opponents with the least amount of effort as possible?

i wouldn’t worry about not being able to use other techniques, pretty soon the class will recognise your setup and this will force you to develop better on newer moves, it’s a viscous cycle really as the moment they adapt to your new move you can revert to the old one ;)
    Fuengi said:

Congratulations! Your coach was obviously watching you the other night. Maybe he'd just forgotten his tape! 

I had an interesting session yesterday. I tapped everyone I rolled with, including two HUGE & experienced guys- 6'5" 115+kg!! That's 40kg more than me. but I left unhappy with my performance. I'd won by using my "go to" moves & not been able to incorporate the lesson into my rolling. I just felt frustrated. 
    Weird. 
    I find that lots of the guys go to the lesson techniques straight away in rolling, but it seldom works because they are only used to drilling it. If a technique resonates with me I try to refine it and use it for real over the next week or two and it becomes integrated in my game. I wouldn't expect to hit it straight away.

Well done on tapping out a guy that heavy. I'm about the same weight as you and I just try not to get crushed by those big guys. They are so strong they can just muscle out of most positions against me, but I see the more experienced guys control them..
    grungebob said:
    @fuengi wow congratulations dude, I bet he just forgot his tape the other night. 
    Keep it up. 
    Thank you. I think he wanted to really assess me over a couple of nights before awarding two stripes. He rolled with me last night to get a feel for my movement as well as exposing some of my weaknesses (protect the neck!!). 

Another WB also got two stripes, we have been a close match for each other for a while so that felt great. 
  • randersonranderson Frets: 187
    CHRISB50 said:

I started training BJJ in 2002 with Wilson Jr who runs the UK arm of Carlson Gracie Academy. In those days it was quite hard to find instructors / classes, so I could only train once a week, and had to drive quite a way to get to classes, which were on a Friday night. I last about 6 months and jacked it in.

I restarted a few years later with Ricardo Da Silva when he was still under Roger Brooking (Alliance) in Epsom, which became the MMA team Nova Forca. This time work took over and I missed too many classes to warrant paying the up front monthly fee.

I supplemented the training with spending about 5-6 hours on a Saturday in a gym space in Croydon with one of my school mates who also did BJJ. We'd run through the stuff we learned in the week and spar from certain positions. My friend moved to the US, and the gym in Croydon shut unfortunately.

I've now got a fair bit of free time on  my hands and I'm started to get bored of just lifting weights, so I am looking to restart after a hefty old lay off.

My gi's are down from the loft and washed. I just need to pull my finger out.

My nearest academy is Jiu Jitsu Brotherhood run by Nicolas Gregoriades and his students, so I am gong to give them a try. Will report back here once I have.

I go to this club Chris, it would be great to see you down there. Good bunch of guys and gals.