SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SORTED - OM or 000. Anyone selling a peachy acoustic?

What's Hot
camfcamf Frets: 1190
edited October 2018 in Acoustics £
SORTED! I'm on the look out for a nice OM. I've got a few possible options but if anyone has a Collings, Santa Cruz, Bourgeois, Atkin,  Brook or what have you that they're happy to let go, I could be the person for you. Trying to spend less than £2K but could maybe stretch a little. I'd probably prefer a 43mm nut but other than that, fairly open to just seeing what's out there. 

Based up in Edinburgh but might be able to travel a bit for the right guitar.

Cheers,

cam f
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jrc2806jrc2806 Frets: 64
    Don’t mean to keep flying the Peach flag but they have a great 00037 relic Atkin. Please buy it so I stop looking at it!! Good luck with the search!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1190
    @jrc2806 ; Yes, that had cropped up on my radar. Beautiful. Just on the very edge of my budget but definitely being considered. :)

• camf said:
    @jrc2806 ; Yes, that had cropped up on my radar. Beautiful. Just on the very edge of my budget but definitely being considered. :)

Go and try the used Atkin O28 in Guitarguitar, might put you off the Atkin relics ;) it looks like it needs a good clean. 

Sounds OK too but not quite OM territory.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ha! I might do that. I’m fine with things being a bit relic’d as long as it doesn’t stray into the comedy zone. I expect them to earn their keep with me and there’s every likliehood they’ll have a hard life. It really just means I’ll have an excuse for not being too precious about them. 
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    edited October 2018
    camf said:
    Ha! I might do that. I’m fine with things being a bit relic’d as long as it doesn’t stray into the comedy zone. I expect them to earn their keep with me and there’s every likliehood they’ll have a hard life. It really just means I’ll have an excuse for not being too precious about them. 

GG also had a very nice Martin 000-18 (or 28 - can’t remember) which sounded pretty nice last time I was in, though it was new so probably over your budget (and mine!). 

Thanks @Moe_Zambeek ; I should take a trip out there over the weekend and see what they have.

• Perhaps getting away from your spec I have a stunning Avalon Eclipse rosewood spruce, these were originally made for Zemaitis - quite a story - 12 fret but definitely not parlour - wide lower, bout sounds stunning would pitch it against the best Collings or Santa Cruz out there. Made in the old Lowden workshop. Pretty much mint.
    @2volume1tone ; Sounds lovely but too much guitar for me. Thanks for letting me know, though.

• thanks for the reply £2K in case you are curious ( last one of this type I saw on ebay was £3500) 
  • preston61preston61 Frets: 690
    What you go for in the end fella?
    Hi @preston61. Hope things are good with you. I ended up with a very nice Bourgeois OM Custom Sitka/Mahogany. Really pleased with it. Beautiful, airy sounding guitar and very comfortable to play. I think I've found my number 1. :)
  • preston61preston61 Frets: 690
    camf said:
    Hi @preston61. Hope things are good with you. I ended up with a very nice Bourgeois OM Custom Sitka/Mahogany. Really pleased with it. Beautiful, airy sounding guitar and very comfortable to play. I think I've found my number 1. :)

Sounds good bud, a quality acoustic completely changes how you play. Have fun with it
    Cheers sir. You're right. I'm also having to completely restructure how I play guitar, which at my venerable age, is a good challenge to have. 
    edited October 2018
    Where did you find it @camf ;? And how did you get to it before me
    @Moe_Zambeek ; I got lucky. :) Turned out the seller is one of the techs for Mumford & Son and a lovely guy who was happy to sell at a decent price in a private sale. Even better - he also happened to be be heading to Edinburgh that week. When we met up, he also gave me some really insights and info about the practicalities of getting out on tour too, so that was nice. My knowledge of these things is from distant history now. All in all, it was a really top deal.

• @camf sounds good :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    I’m just working on an Atkin 0-28, the first one I’ve seen. It might be the one from Guitar Guitar, the owner has only just bought it. If so it is quite relic’ed, but not over the top - it’s much more aged than worn, in fact there’s really only one bit of “damage”. It doesn’t look totally realistic but it’s certainly not awful. It also sounds ‘old’, which is interesting.

However, I’m working on it because it needed a major set-up - on investigation, the truss rod had been left completely loose so there was a huge forward bow in the neck. Not only that, the bridge saddle is a little too high and starting to bend forward under the pressure of the strings, but can’t be lowered because it’s already about the right height now the neck has been adjusted. Even worse, the fret ends are appalling - crudely ground off leaving a razor-sharp burr on several that wouldn’t be out of place on a £50 Chinese guitar, and totally unacceptable at this sort of price.

Are they all like this?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

edited October 2018
    Sounds like the one I tried. Does it look like it needs a good clean? I was underwhelmed by it, sounds like I was lucky on reflection!
    Well, that's a shame it that's the case. Mr Atkin seems like a nice guy and hopefully this isn't a reflection on his usual work. In much happier news, I'm extremely pleased with the Bourgeois OM I acquired. I've played virtually nothing else since I got it. Can't keep my fat wee paws off it. :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Sounds like the one I tried. Does it look like it needs a good clean?
    It seems quite clean, but it's possible either the shop or the owner have cleaned it if it's the same one.

camf said:
    Well, that's a shame it that's the case. Mr Atkin seems like a nice guy and hopefully this isn't a reflection on his usual work.
    I hope not, but I can't believe any maker would not notice, even if they forgot to finish them properly at first - it's not due to neck shrinkage either, the frets aren't protruding - just had nasty and very obvious burrs on them from cutting the angles at the ends, which you would feel the first time you tried to play it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson