12 String Advice

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    The string tension is certainly higher than on a 6-string, even with lighter gauges, but a 12-string that’s built properly and strung and tuned appropriately is no more at risk from long-term issues than a 6.

My ‘71 Martin D12-35 is still fine - and old Martins don’t even have proper truss rods! I’ve owned it since 1989 and it’s never been tuned above D in that time, which may have helped. When I got it I read that Martin intended them to be tuned like that so I stuck to it, apart from when I was trying to be Leo Kottke, when I used 11s tuned to C#.

If you want to tune E-E, use the lightest strings you can find, definitely no heavier than 10s, or even 9s if you can find them. I still think they’re better tuned lower though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Interesting idea about tuning down a whole tone. I've never heard that before and I'm going to try it, cos I get sore fingertips after playing the 12 for an hour or more. 

I'd agree with the suggestion that a decent inexpensive 12 is fine for playing and recording in the mix with other instruments. You'll get a fine result without breaking the bank. If you're playing unaccompanied, then a nicer instrument will be, well...  nicer. 

Having a 12 to noodle on can give rise to ideas you might not stumble across otherwise.
    Quoting myself, how sad....  

But, tuned down a whole tone sounds lovely and string tension feels much lower. Capo'ing at the second fret isn't causing any issues so far and (biggest bonus) I'm now in the right tuning to play the chords in "Dogs" - which sounds fab on a 12!  :)
  • domforrdomforr Frets: 326
    I tune my Daion to DADGAD and it sounds fabulous. No idea whether this helps it structurally or not, but it certainly feels right.
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    ‘standard’ PITCH and TUNING evolved mainly so u can play in all the Keys - with others, viz ‘European art music’  commonly called ‘Western Classical’ music.
    If u play by u’er self or in ‘groups’ u can work round the pitch issue with a capo.
    I have always tuned down 2 semitones on a 12er - then go into a tuning from there. I have always used 13-56 gauge - U need to know what the recommended gauge is for u’r guitar and work with the various tensions / gauges to achieve the right balance = e.g. my vid above is in a C tuning with ‘D’ intervals.
    In traditional music the world over they don’t adhere to A = 440Hz or equal temperament tuning or even 12 notes to the octave. In some respects ‘western’ musicians -certainly guitarists, are tend to be guitar-centric.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 175
    He had a youtube video on how it sounded but it seems he's removed it for some reason...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    My guess is no bids he should start at £5...
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 287
    ICBM said:
    Clashman said:
    Just got a 12 string myself the other day, love the sounds I can get from it but it sure takes it's toll
    on your fingers.I might have to give it rest as it really hurts either that or get lighter strings.
    Are you tuning it E-E? A standard 12-string set of 10s tuned E-E gives roughly the same tension as a 6-string set of 14s, so it's no wonder if it hurts!

If so, don't... 12-strings were always originally intended to be tuned lower, D-D or even below that - Leo Kottke used C#-C# or C-C and Leadbelly as low as B-B, although light strings didn't exist back in his day. You'll find it sounds a lot better as well as being easier to play. If you want to play in the same keys as normal, capo back up to E.

I keep my Martin in D-D with 10s, which is roughly equivalent to 12s in E-E on a 6-string.
    I just tuned mine D-D .....I may just keep it that way, ....it will save on the G string breaking if nothing else..... =)
    Had a Yamaha FG-720S but the saddle was down to the bare wood virtually so returned it so once again ,on the
    look out  for another second hand one .
  • Seconding the recommendation on Vintage - the Giltrap is very good for the money. Might also be worth looking at Recording King - their stuff tends to be pretty decent, and they had a 12-string at one point.

If you tune your 12-string down and find you have trouble getting a capo to work reliably, G7th have just released a compensated 12-string capo that works really well. I can now capo on 5 (or even 7) to get mandolin-type effects with no retuning.
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 365
    I have the Taylor - Leo Kottke 12 string - discontinued now I'm afraid, I A/B'd it against a Guild and preferred it . I would also recommend the Kyser 12 capo over the G7 for a firmer grip. 

• deanodeano Frets: 622
    I have a couple of suggestions, but having never played a 12-string, they are worth every penny you're paying for them!

Firstly, if you are only going to use it for recording and not live, then there is a YouTube video of a professional recording engineer/producer creating a 12-string effect using a regular Martin (I think) double-tracked with a cheap guitar strung in Nashville tuning, which uses the lighter strings from a 12 string. He claimed it worked better in the studio. Might be worth giving that a watch before you commit funds. Obviously this goes out of the window if you want to play live, which brings me onto suggestion number 2...

A  bit off the wall this one, but have a think about a Line6 Tyler Variax. I have a Korean one (a JTV-59), not one of the US-made ones, but the electronics are the same in both. That contains a 12 string model  (Ricky I think) as one of the presets. You can also build up your own models so if you fancy a 12-string Martin acoustic, ten minutes will get you something in that stylee. Of course this has upsides (you can play live with it as well as record it, and the tension is normal 6-string) and downsides (you might not like the idea of modelling), but I love mine. Anyway, just a suggestion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    Massive 12 string fanboy here. had lots over the years, now only my 89 Sigma DM1-12 acoustic and Gretsch G6122-12 electric (for me the best 12 on the planet, yes I have had Ricks) 

Sigma still make good affordable ones, Guild USA are the best acoustics, but the Chinese Guilds are superb too , the 1512 is great.
    For recording, the smaller bodies sound better, like an F212 Guild shape.  

My tip to stop the inevitable belly bulge and avoid a neck reset is to use lighter strings. I've always used 9s on my Sigma and after 
    29 years the action is very close to what it was new, never seen a Luthier. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom