King Crimson tour 2018

What's Hot
ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11788
anyone going?
I bought a ticket
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    If spared, my brother and I shall be seeing them in Cardiff (again). 
    Be seeing you.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4669
    Going to the London Palladium and sitting in dead fancy seats too.  Haven't seen them since about 1970....................
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    Yep. Manchester.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    Bournemouth. This time I get to sleep in my own bed afterwards. Previously, Birmingham and (2014) New York. 
    Anyone got any feedback to share on gigs so far?
  • As a long-term KC fan, I think the show is astonishing - if you've seen the 7- or 8-piece Crim in the last few years, you probably have a good idea of the kind of thing, but they're playing material from right across the last fifty years, putting hippy mellotron stuff up against math metal, and it works wonderfully well. Each tour there's something from the back catalogue they haven't done before, and the set list is different each night (not 100% different, but radically mixed up). 

There are probably criticisms to be made (one I saw on Facebook was "BUT WHERE IS THE NEW ALBUM AND ALL THE BRAND NEW CUTTING EDGE MATERIAL?", which is kind of missing the point of this particular incarnation), but to be honest it's a lot more satisfying if I don't bother with that and just enjoy what's up there on the stage. 

And of course the front of the stage is all drums, which makes them a lot more interesting to watch than most venerable prog bands. I mean, it's worth going for the drums alone. 
    edited November 2018
    The 2018 tour is slightly different from the 2015. For a start, the band is now an octet. Bill Rieflin now plays only keyboards. Jeremy Stacey fulfils the centre stage drummer/keys duties that Rieflin used to.

... material from right across the last fifty years, putting hippy mellotron stuff up against math metal and it works wonderfully well.
    Aye. Plenty of pseudo-Mellotron string washes. Not nearly enough Discipline/Beat/Three-era material for my liking. Then, again, much of that would require Belew.

the front of the stage is all drums, which makes them a lot more interesting to watch than most venerable prog bands. I mean, it's worth going for the drums alone. 
    Speaking of drums alone, for me, the highlight of the evening was the improvised drum solo that Gavin Harrison took during the encore. DGM Live claims to be making video content available as the tour progresses. If the 31/10/18 Cardiff St. David's Hall performance of Twenty First Century Schizoid Man appears on the list, check it out.

Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11788
    I found this site recently, very useful for getting an idea of the setlist for any band:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlists/king-crimson-1bd6b568.html

• I was at Bournemouth on Monday night. I love KC, but I was slightly disappointed, to be honest. Some of the performance was awesome - especially the numbers chosen from the "Red" era. Their reimagining of "Indiscipline" was not to my taste, though. Shame, as I think the "Beat" version of the band was one of my favourite incarnations.  

Mel Collins noodled away behind whatever else was going on far too much for my liking. I feel a bit sorry for Jakko, too. He's not the greatest singer, but he has to fill the boots of one or two who had a better (and different) voice to him and doesn't always hit the spot. 

I was impressed much of the time, but - unlike previous years - not really engaged or moved that much. And for me, being moved emotionally is what I like most about music. 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4669
    Too loud and shite sound balance at the Palladium.  Mostly not enjoyable.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30824
    Avec Belew, or sans Belew?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Gassage said:
    Avec Belew or sans Belew?
    Without.

Earlier this year, Belew's website stated that he and Fripp are back on speaking terms but there are no plans to work together again any time soon. 

If you look at the set lists posted by ToneControl, there are a few Belew-era titles but the majority of those are instrumental. On titles where there should have been Belew vocals, Jakko delivers them in his own style rather than attempting an impersonation. 
    Be seeing you.
    Bridgewater Hall, Manchester last night. Somewhat disappointed with the sound, not sure if it's the venue or the mix, or what. Mushy boom. Wanted to get my EQ out and scoop out some lower-mids.
    Liverpool Empire last night
    sound in first half was awful
    The saxes and flutes were twice as loud as any other instrument, and had a weird mid-range spike, it actually hurt my ears. Also the vocals were way too loud and had a mid-range spike.
    I was just left of centre in the circle, and the vocals sounded entirely from the left even though he was to the right of the stage, I assume some delay was missing.
    The basses and stick were almost completely inaudible in the first half. Seriously, the effect was similar to when listening on a small bluetooth speaker, I could only hear any bass during quiet sections where other instruments were silent.

Second half - big improvement, bass still a little quiet, but audible.
    Sax and vocals no longer ridiculously loud
    edited November 2018
    During the gig at Manchester I kept asking myself if it was too loud and perhaps this was causing the bad sound. Not sure. I was in the mid-stalls in front of the mixing desk so should have been OK. I don't know what the problem was but, for me, it was the worst mix/acoustics/whatever that I've heard. YMMV
    Now learned from the KC manager that the promoter told the sound engineer that there were no tickets sold for upstairs, so the mix was only done for the ground floor
    from KC site:
    "Liverpool FOH Audio
    Dear All, I have been communicating with Chris Porter, King Crimson FOH Sound Engineer. This is what he told me. "With regard to the balcony, when we arrived we were advised by the Promoter that the whole balcony was not sold. With regard to volume. The peak level at FOH in Liverpool was 101.2.db. Average level of around 95db. This is strange, as there were very many compliments on the sound from veterans of Crimson tours. One chap who has seen 35 shows in the past year said it was the best sound to date. I have seen and spoken to him on almost all of those occasions." So we apologise for any differences in sound quality in the hall, every effort is made to accommodate the different areas of seating in a venue, but as Chris has said if the promoter told him that the balcony wasn't sold,that's the information one can only work with. I know Chris and his colleagues check the sound from various locations around the venue before the audience comes in, during soundcheck, and also as the performance is in progress, and tweaks are made where they can."