GSP1101 Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• So I tried the DigiTech "original " Blackface Baseman preset tonight.... Good Lord it's good. I think I have global cab on (IR of Deluxe reverb) but changing the cab seemed to change the sound so seeks like maybe I had the Deluxe Reverb in addition to the Supro one. Which was nice.

Stereo into mixer via xlrs, panned left and right, one of them with bass boosted on the mixer but slightly quieter than the other one.

Sounded like my ideal amp sound I think
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cool :) I must try the bassman...I've not spent a lot of time with that one.

I had a funny thing yesterday...I pugged into my rig and I thought "ew...that sounds a bit harsh and overly bright". So I fiddled around with the preset pn the GSP1101, switched a few things on and off on the Control 2 but nothing seemed to make a difference. Then I realised...the previous day I had unplugged the GSP1101 from the fx return of my TH30 and plugged the guitar straight into the front of the amp, intending to try and see if I would have a "woah...valves are amazing!" moment. Then I got distracted and never actually did it and forgot. Gotta laugh. Looks like I prefer the GSP to my valve amp now :)

That's through the power amp into a real cab though...I'm a bit less convinced going via an IR into headphones or a mixer. I find the high gain sounds a bit quacky on the bass notes...a bit artificial. I think it might be that I just struggle with the whole FoH sound. I didn't really get on with the Helix that way either.

I think the lower gain Marshall-y sounds are pretty convincing though.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    These GSP1101s look pretty good. Not sure how I missed them. I'm wondering if Digitech are thinking of entering the 'new' modelling market to compete against Helix etc. Based on what I'm reading here I think they would do a very good job.
  • It wasn't the standard bassman, it was the Black Bassman which I guess must be like a blackface bassman mashup. Sounded great
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    NelsonP said:
    These GSP1101s look pretty good. Not sure how I missed them. I'm wondering if Digitech are thinking of entering the 'new' modelling market to compete against Helix etc. Based on what I'm reading here I think they would do a very good job.
    Nope they won't be :(
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Been playing with mine a bit more and really like it.  Come up with a plan, I’m going to mount it in a combo cab with a small power amp I made.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    edited November 2018
    I'm wondering about whether I could use it either with a power amp into a cab I can't sell, or into an FRFR like the Laney IRTX that's in the classifieds, but the problem is housing it into something portable, but which looks nice as well. Rack cases are so ugly, I would not want to use those ugly plastic things as they look terrible.

Although the point is moot really as I don't need anything to play in public anyway!!
  • John_A said:
    Been playing with mine a bit more and really like it.  Come up with a plan, I’m going to mount it in a combo cab with a small power amp I made.
    Not going FRFR?
  • I'm wondering about whether I could use it either with a power amp into a cab I can't sell, or into an FRFR like the Laney IRTX that's in the classifieds, but the problem is housing it into something portable, but which looks nice as well. Rack cases are so ugly, I would not want to use those ugly plastic things as they look terrible.
    I currently have my GSP1101 sitting on top of a cab - I had to stick rubber feet on it so it would clear the handle on top of the cab. It's not ideal...it looks kind of weird, like it should be in something. I keep toying with the idea of housing it in a short 2U rack with a power amp but I am using a Magnum 44 or a Orange Micro Dark (into the FX return) as a power amp and they both sound pretty good so it feels frivolous to buy a power amp just to put it in a rack.

It sounds best into the FX return of my Orange TH-30 - the overall tone is much the same but it just has more presence and dynamics to it. But again, it looks a bit odd sitting on top of that. Maybe I'll make some kind of enclosure for it. I'm not much of a carpenter though. :)
    John_A said:
    Not going FRFR?
    No, think it would be a nice change not to, plus I have a few guitar speakers lying around and it’ll be easier to fit to my combo cab
  • I really like the GSP1101 through a power amp > real cab but I am having to use it FRFR at the moment and I feel like the tones are really kind of mushy. Just fizzy and not at all what it sounds like through a real cab.

Any tips on how to set up patches for FRFR? @John_A - do you find the GSP fizzer / mushier than the Helix via FRFR or mixer / headphones?

Maybe I'm just using too much gain. Or I might be better off using a clean amp with a pedal rather than a dirty amp.
    @gearaddict ;; I've found overall it's easier to set up than the Helix, and sounds almost as good.  I started using it FRFR and just turning on the cab models it didnt need anything tweaking at all, through a real power amp/cab I just set the output type in the globals and turned off cab emulation and it sounds fine to me.

Personally I find neither unit 'mushy or fizzy' is it's dialed in right.
  • 'Dialing it in right' may well be where I am going wrong :)

'Dialing it in right' may well be where I am going wrong :)

What sort of sound are you going for?  Some of the presets are a good starting point, the 'Led Zep' one sounds great to me as does the 'Analog boy' one, if they sound fizzy to you it's either the FRFR speaker, your ears or my ears :)
  • Hmm...I'll check out the Led Zep one. I am mainly using a high-ish gain classic rock type of sound. I think the ones you mention are quite clean, no?
    Hmm...I'll check out the Led Zep one. I am mainly using a high-ish gain classic rock type of sound. I think the ones you mention are quite clean, no?
    I'll have a whizz through the factory ones now and find a highish gain one I like
    John_A said:
    Hmm...I'll check out the Led Zep one. I am mainly using a high-ish gain classic rock type of sound. I think the ones you mention are quite clean, no?
    I'll have a whizz through the factory ones now and find a highish gain one I like
    Edit - No I won't something just came up, I'll get on to it tomorrow
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    edited November 2018
    For high gain try the 5150 model (assuming you have C63 firmware?). If it's muddy and fizzy on all your presets through frfr but sounds right through a power amp and cab, try a low and high cut using the global graphic EQ and see if that helps. If it does the trick you can shape each separate preset using the parametric EQ and return your global EQ to flat.
  • drwiddly said:
    For high gain try the 5150 model (assuming you have C63 firmware?). If it's muddy and fizzy on all your presets through frfr but sounds right through a power amp and cab, try a low and high cut using the global graphic EQ and see if that helps. If it does the trick you can shape each separate preset using the parametric EQ and return your global EQ to flat.
    Top tip! The global eq is really good for quickly figuring out the best eq settings. I need to spend a bit of time fiddling.
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    edited November 2018
    Go through the output config, power amp/head/etc and try all the diff combinations till you find the one you like for your setup (even if its for a diff setup entirely)

i have mine into power amp input on Lab series L7 amp and found it sounded a lot better set as power amp/cab and best sound was by picking valve power amp not solid state.  Also direct to pa or to full range speaker you probs want the output lpf enabled to remove the fizz as full range doesn't have as much natural roll off as you'd get with a real cab.  I find with a little playing about going through the diff output configs you can find the perfect one without using global eq (global eq is then free for quick in venue tweaks for the particular venue).

5150 is good for high gain in 4 cable with real amp the model was often chosen over the real 5150 pre so defo shouldn't sound muddy