Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I think I've got this small amps thing all wrong -maybe there isn't an amp that does home AND gigs!!

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
I got sick of lugging the big amps round and wanted to downsize.

So I got a 15w Terror thinking it'll cover both bases.

It sounds great, but I'm starting to realise that a 15 watt amp is still probably too powerful for the house, and I'm pushing it too hard at gigs. Nothing wrong with the amp at all, its just the style I play.

So now I'm thinking that maybe I've been looking at it all wrong. Maybe there isn;t an amp thats small enought for home and big enough for gigs. Maybe I'm better off with a home practice amp (maybe something like yamaha THR10) and a bigger amp for gigs.

It'd be great to have an amp that can do both, but I'm wondering if there just isn't one, and I should look at having a home practice amp AND a gigging amp instead.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8175
    How about one with switchable output? My Vox AC15 is loud enough for gigs and can be dropped to 7.5 watts for home. 

Think the Roland Blues Cube drops right down to 0.5 watts.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • Didn't you get the Brent Hinds?  Hasn't it got the headroom/bedroom switch on the back?
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    What you need is a JCM800 ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • <insert standard forum Katana related advice>

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    My Yerasov has a volume knob.  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    A Mesa Trem-o-verb does both very nicely, or anything in between.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited November 2018
    If you have an audio interface, Mercuriall Spark plugin does an awesome JCM800 and AFD model. It's the best digital solution I've tried for those sounds, and the built in cab/mic sims are very good - don't even need to use IRs. Could instantly get tones I'd be happy to record with, whilst I spent hours tweaking Helix Native, pissing about with IRs etc and still never got it as good. That and some good headphones is my preferred home option nowadays.
  • My Ampeg GVT15Hs can do both
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • Of the stuff I've got - the Mesa Boogie Nomad 45 works really well at low volumes and at gigs.

I've got a Fuchs Four Aces which is 4 watts, doesn't really work very well at home - too loud - much like a Lonestar/Electradyne or any of the higher wattage amps.

Wattage doesn't really tell you the whole story with volume...One of my bandmates uses a Vox AC15 on gigs and it's almost too loud for gigs even.

Also - Vox Adio works nicely for a little portable amp for home use and maybe even a little more (duo gigs?)
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    For me the cure to this problem was to invest in a really good attenuator. That way the whole amp market is open to you, and it turned out for me that my perfect amp was a JCM800 into a great cab, via a great attenuator. 

But yes, the middling-power amp can end up being a bit of an albatross around your neck in every setting.

Red ones are better. 
  • garfygarfy Frets: 143
    Badcat Cub 15r is a pretty loud 15w, gigable and with Kmaster volume control you can easily play at bedroom levels. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10643
    edited November 2018
    I use a 100w amp at home and on stage. Obviously it’s plenty for stage apart from the largest of gigs, but at home it’s also great - it sounds perfect. Glassy cleans, throaty break-up and fluid high-gain overdrive. I am trying to find a 50W amp, just for lighter lugging to gigs, but not to solve a home volume / sound problem. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • garfy said:
    Badcat Cub 15r is a pretty loud 15w, gigable and with Kmaster volume control you can easily play at bedroom levels. 
    +1

The key thing is you need something with a really good Master Volume and/or a really good attenuator. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    edited November 2018
    Do you really need an amp at home ? Phone or Tablet app into your headphones / home sound system / recording kit / that crap practice amp you have in the cupboard ..  

Otherwise my reco is a Boogie MK V 25 - great gigging amp but has good low volume sound + headphones n cab clone outs for silent running .. ( not particularly cheap though ) 
  • Something like this sounds ideal for your needs...

www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/143532/fs-brunetti-pleximan

• Get a bigger house?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    I'm a bit confused by all the different versions of those amps. I tried a rectoverb 50 which was awful, but I'm sure there are other great amps in the range. I'm currently really interested in the stilletto 1x12 combo (if I can cope with the weight!!) and a stiletto deuce 100 watt head a 2x12. 
    ICBM said:
    I'm a bit confused by all the different versions of those amps. I tried a rectoverb 50 which was awful, but I'm sure there are other great amps in the range.
    The Rectoverb and Trem-o-verb are completely different. So much so that the Trem-o-verb might be my favourite valve amp ever, but I wouldn't even own a Rectoverb. I will not deny that the Trem-o-verb (combo, at least) weighs as much as a small car though, so it may not be what you're looking for...

It's also worth looking at modern options like the Yamaha THR100, which will also do bedroom volume and gig volume.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• ICBM said:
    ICBM said:
    I'm a bit confused by all the different versions of those amps. I tried a rectoverb 50 which was awful, but I'm sure there are other great amps in the range.
    The Rectoverb and Trem-o-verb are completely different. So much so that the Trem-o-verb might be my favourite valve amp ever, but I wouldn't even own a Rectoverb. I will not deny that the Trem-o-verb (combo, at least) weighs as much as a small car though, so it may not be what you're looking for...

It's also worth looking at modern options like the Yamaha THR100, which will also do bedroom volume and gig volume.
    Would you take the combo over a head and 2x12 ?? I think yours will be a similar size and weight to the stiletto 1x12 combo, just wondering how you manage with it!

riffpowers said:

Would you take the combo over a head and 2x12 ?? I think yours will be a similar size and weight to the stiletto 1x12 combo, just wondering how you manage with it!
    The Trem-o-verb is heavier than the Stiletto - 98lb. It does have wheels and good handles, so I actually found it not that hard to move - actually easier than a Fender Twin or AC30, both of which are quite a bit lighter.

I don't have mine any more though - some medical advice about lifting heavy things made me change my mind as to what was acceptable for a guitar amp. And that was before I broke my arm...