SORTED: High E string too close to the edge

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    @FriskyDingo is the best forum name of the year.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've taken a sliver of wood off the bass side some more off the bottom corner. It's still on the squiffy so looks like I'll need to redrill some holes on the neck 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    I've taken a sliver of wood off the bass side some more off the bottom corner. It's still on the squiffy so looks like I'll need to redrill some holes on the neck 
    Drill the *body*, not the neck. You don't need to enlarge the holes much, and you only need to do the outer two. But make sure it's definitely the screws causing the trouble first - take those two screws out, it will be OK with the two E strings on if they're not tuned up tight - and see if you can get the neck to move over. If you can't, it's the pocket not the screw holes which is still the problem.

To redrill the neck you will drill out and plug the existing holes with side-cut maple plugs then redrill new ones, which is a much more difficult operation.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• I've taken a chizel to the pocket and feel comfortable taking much wood.
    I'll drill the body and if needed fill the holes using the tooth pick technique. 
    When you say the outer two, do you mean the low e side screws? 
    I've taken a chizel to the pocket and feel comfortable taking much wood.
    I'll drill the body and if needed fill the holes using the tooth pick technique. 
    When you say the outer two, do you mean the low e side screws? 
    No, the ones at the outer end of the pocket... closest to the headstock :).

You won't need to fill the neck screw holes in the body, they don't need to be tight. The alignment of the neck is set by the pocket not the screws, which is why 70s Fender with oversized neck pockets allow the neck to move about.

If it is the holes that are the problem, going up 1mm in diameter should fix it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    FriskyDingo said:
    Please explain more. I will post pictures this morning 
    Having seen your photographs, the alignment error on your project guitar is beyond the scope of yanking the neck relative to the edges of the pocket.
    Be seeing you.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    octatonic said:
    prowla said:
    Perfect for playing Yes?
    Literally the joke I clicked on the thread to make.
    And I and you?
  • FriskyDingo said:
    Please explain more. I will post pictures this morning 
    Having seen your photographs, the alignment error on your project guitar is beyond the scope of yanking the neck relative to the edges of the pocket.
    Please explain more. To be fair I have chipped away at one side of the pocket and it has helped slightly.
    how would you alleviate the problem?
  • sorted! Took a sliver of wood off the sides. Had a friend tighten the neck screws when I positioned the neck. No need to redrill anything. Thanks for the help everyone 
    Well done! It's good to solve something like this yourself - even with assistance - it's not really difficult if you know what to do.

It was certainly less trouble to help than when someone brings me a kit they haven't assembled right and asks me to do it :).

• Cheers for your help again @ICBM, now I have to sort out the electronics which for some reason are humming louder than ever before. Expect another 'help me' post soon
    Cheers for your help again @ICBM, now I have to sort out the electronics which for some reason are humming louder than ever before. Expect another 'help me' post soon
    I hear Antarctica is nice at this time of year...

;)

Feel free to ask, it shouldn’t be too hard to solve.